Watt's Linkage

Jeeper Jr.

While doing some suspension research for my nonexistent Jeep, I got to thinking if anyone had ever done a Watt's Linkage on a JK. A quick search later I found the Full Traction CRC Link. However, I could not a previous thread regarding this product or the Watt's Linkage in general. Hence this thread...

My logic is, by ditching the panhard rod for a Watts linkage, I can gain a constantly centered axle. However, I don't know how much of an advantage this would give me on the trail or on the road and it seems a majority of you guys get along just fine without it.

So my questions are:
1. Is there any real gain from ditching a track bar and replacing it with a Watt's Linkage?

2. Has anyone run the CRC Link? If so, how good is it on the road and on the rocks?

3. Is the EVO Lever compatible with the CRC?

Link to CRC
http://www.full-traction.com/products-page/jk/crc-link-conversion-for-jeep-jk-exclusive/

BadApple

While doing some suspension research for my nonexistent Jeep, I got to thinking if anyone had ever done a Watt's Linkage on a JK. A quick search later I found the Full Traction CRC Link. However, I could not a previous thread regarding this product or the Watt's Linkage in general. Hence this thread...

My logic is, by ditching the panhard rod for a Watts linkage, I can gain a constantly centered axle. However, I don't know how much of an advantage this would give me on the trail or on the road and it seems a majority of you guys get along just fine without it.

So my questions are:
1. Is there any real gain from ditching a track bar and replacing it with a Watt's Linkage?

2. Has anyone run the CRC Link? If so, how good is it on the road and on the rocks?

Link to CRC
http://www.full-traction.com/products-page/jk/crc-link-conversion-for-jeep-jk-exclusive/

Did not know it was a plausible mod for a Jeep. I had one on my old C30 i had bagged and it improved the the overall driveability of the truck but that was bagged not a crawler. However, now that i know about this for the JK im gonna look into getting it if it actually works well.

Fir-na-tine

Caught the Bug
I have the Full Traction CRC Link installed on my 2012 JKU........It has eliminated the top heavy yaw feel going around corners and combined with the Bilstien 5160s it's reduced the side to side movement quite a bit......I have no complaints.......I'm sure someone will chime in about the cost being high for a glorified trackbar but it's something I liked and I decided to get.....

Woodrow
image.jpg
image.jpg

Jeeper Jr.

Did not know it was a plausible mod for a Jeep. I had one on my old C30 i had bagged and it improved the the overall driveability of the truck but that was bagged not a crawler. However, now that i know about this for the JK im gonna look into getting it if it actually works well.

Sweet, let us know how it goes if you end up getting it.
It seems Full Traction is the only company that makes a Watt's link kit as I can't find any other. I would think more companies would have thought of it. :thinking:

Jeeper Jr.

I have the Full Traction CRC Link installed on my 2012 JKU........It has eliminated the top heavy yaw feel going around corners and combined with the Bilstien 5160s it's reduced the side to side movement quite a bit......I have no complaints.......I'm sure someone will chime in about the cost being high for a glorified trackbar but it's something I liked and I decided to get.....

Woodrow
View attachment 60664
View attachment 60668

Nice rig! I agree it's pricey but then again, so are many things regarding Jeeps. Does it make any difference at all in the rocks?

Fir-na-tine

Caught the Bug
Not a lot of rocks down here in South Florida........looking to get out west sometime next year and wheel some rocks..(driving or having JK auto transported to Denver airport and flying out to Denver) then heading west from there to Moab.....Vegas.....then Orange County California...then back to Denver and then fly or drive home to South Florida

Woodrow

dahreno

Banned
I was just at my builders shop and they built a custom Watts link for a one ton truck . What a great job they did , it looked awesome . I would also be interested in how they work and how do they articulate .

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Sure, it'll keep your axle centered throughout your axle's cycle range, provide better handling in hard turns and eliminate wiggle or side to side movement when going over big bumps.

I have not run one on my Jeeps but I did get to do some testing with Full-Traction soon after they developed the CRC. On road and driving hard and fast in the desert, it's really nice. On the rocks, I don't know if you could really tell a difference.

No.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
I ran one for a year or so, It was nice, But I did not notice any difference after it was removed. I went back to a factory track bar and bracket. I'm sure the coil overs help keep the back end stable :yup:

KenB1010

I've been using Full Traction's CRC link for about 3 years. You loose about 2" of up travel, but gain a noticeable improvement in stability.

KenB1010

That's good to know.

And that's what I want to know.
How come ORE hasn't come up with one?

Wether it is worth the price is all relative. For my rear setup which includes an aux fuel tank, it was well worth it. I've got a lot of weight in back and the extra stability is great. You have to make your own choice based on your setup and what you want it to do.

As far as EVO goes, I don't believe that their EVOLever is compatible with a watts link design. I also don't think that it would be a big seller for them. I don't think it's been a big seller for Full Traction.

Fir-na-tine

Caught the Bug
"So is it worth the price?"

Probably not worth the price to the majority of people out there.........most will get by with a stock rear track bar......I like that it's tied into the frame on both sides......it's located above the housing........it did noticeably reduce the side to side motion in left and right turns at higher speeds......I didn't notice any loss of up travel with this and my lift combined......that seems to be dependent on tire size and fender clearance......I've never had an issue with binding of the CRC Links lateral bar joints that are connected to the frame on both sides......I bought it to go the with a 4" Ultimate SRS Suspension system they offer.......they did give $150 rebate for the old stock track bar.....I had several of those lying around so I was able to take advantage of that........I'm happy and really that's all I care about.

Woodrow:beer:

Last edited:
That's good to know.

And that's what I want to know.
How come ORE hasn't come up with one?

That Design is neat Comes on the OLD dodge Durango . But according to people that have it ,it Loses Wheel travel.
We like to increase wheel travel ,performance and ride quality. EVO MFG has corrected track bar height this improves the cornering and ride greatly on EVO lifted rigs.
As far as The EVO lever working with with it I am sure that We could make something work if you really wanted It. But It looks like we would have to start by limiting wheel travel .

Maertz

Banned
I still would not choose to run a CRC due to complexity. 3 more joints and two more links....

I'm going to argue with the "constant" roll center and say no. It is fixed to the axle. As the axle cycle the roll center changes, same as a trackbar. What constant is the center position of the RC, and axle itself. It does not "shift" side to side. But I would also argue that on the road that "shifting" would be neglegable at your common bump amplitude.

The length of the rear trackbar especially is long enough that when set flat or close to flat the axle will "shift" laterally by fractions of an inch on common bumps in the road. This is not something the driver will notice.

Above is what ive been told by another member. I run my rear track bar perfectly flat. Im not sure how adjustable your roll center would be with one of them either and i also agree on the travel side, no way I would want more bars in the way.

Last edited:

Jeeper Jr.

I still would not choose to run a CRC due to complexity. 3 more joints and two more links....

I'm going to argue with the "constant" roll center and say no. It is fixed to the axle. As the axle cycle the roll center changes, same as a trackbar. What constant is the center position of the RC, and axle itself. It does not "shift" side to side. But I would also argue that on the road that "shifting" would be neglegable at your common bump amplitude.

The length of the rear trackbar especially is long enough that when set flat or close to flat the axle will "shift" laterally by fractions of an inch on common bumps in the road. This is not something the driver will notice.

Above is what ive been told by another member. I run my rear track bar perfectly flat. Im not sure how adjustable your roll center would be with one of them either and i also agree on the travel side, no way I would want more bars in the way.

That Design is neat Comes on the OLD dodge Durango . But according to people that have it ,it Loses Wheel travel.
We like to increase wheel travel ,performance and ride quality. EVO MFG has corrected track bar height this improves the cornering and ride greatly on EVO lifted rigs.
As far as The EVO lever working with with it I am sure that We could make something work if you really wanted It. But It looks like we would have to start by limiting wheel travel .

So there is practically no need for a Watt's Link setup? Darn, now I can't justify it besides the "cool" factor :grayno: Thanks for all the info regarding this topic guys. I'm going to be uber prepared when I finally get a rig.

I guess I officially retire this thread? Is that even possible? :thinking:

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Clearance issues with 1350 driveshafts as well. Nope. Buy a Roll center bracket from Evo and call it a day.... Hell paint it red!

Top Bottom