Is my tcase shot?

Saharaunlmtd

Caught the Bug
It was incredibly icy out this weekend so I was driving in 4hi and I noticed that my jeep didn't sound quite right.

Well, I put it in 4hi to get out of my driveway this morning and heard a horrible grinding noise when I hit the gas. It goes away when I let off the gas. I attempted to put it in 4 lo after work and I cannot get it in.

Does this description point to anything specific to check?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
More than likely, it's just not engaging all the way. Could be the bushing on the shift cable is going bad. I would start there as it's a cheap and relatively easy fix and one that would cause that sound.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry, one more thing on this topic. Is the cable something the average Joe could replace?

Assuming this is the problem, you won't need to replace the cable but rather, just the small plastic bushing that connects it to the shift lever. It's something like an 11¢ bushing and, while it can be a pain to get to, yes, your average Joe can do this.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
The part Eddie is talking about is part number 68064273-AA

inbox027.jpg

Unfortunately, the price has gone up significantly from the time Eddie or I last bought em (I got them for .45 cents.) They are now $2.36 a pop.
http://www.moparpartsoverstock.com/p/__/BUSHING--Transfer-case-shift-cable/6875259/68064273AB.html

Order a few extras (like 5). Great to have out on the trail. It's a simple piece that if you don't have a spare, can ruin your wheeling day.

They are purposefully made to be weak and break, so that if there is something binding, and you try to shift, the bushing will break and it will save you from doing any damage to more serious parts. Local dealers usually charge $4-5 for this thing.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yup, that's the part but holy cow the price of them has gone up!! Back in the day, they were so cheap that I bought a ton of them as they were needed on the trail. I think I only have a few left now :grayno:

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Yup, that's the part but holy cow the price of them has gone up!! Back in the day, they were so cheap that I bought a ton of them as they were needed on the trail. I think I only have a few left now :grayno:

IT is pretty crazy. You should see how much money Chrysler charges for some of the OEM clips!!!

turbineguy

The part Eddie is talking about is part number 68064273-AA

View attachment 60730

Unfortunately, the price has gone up significantly from the time Eddie or I last bought em (I got them for .45 cents.) They are now $2.36 a pop.
http://www.moparpartsoverstock.com/p/__/BUSHING--Transfer-case-shift-cable/6875259/68064273AB.html

Order a few extras (like 5). Great to have out on the trail. It's a simple piece that if you don't have a spare, can ruin your wheeling day.

They are purposefully made to be weak and break, so that if there is something binding, and you try to shift, the bushing will break and it will save you from doing any damage to more serious parts. Local dealers usually charge $4-5 for this thing.

I just read this while sitting at my dealer. They are 3.85 each here. I bought two just in case. All the online places we charging for shipping.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using WAYALIFE mobile app

metaldemon

Jeep prices are high on some things. I can't get an oil filter for my 3.6 for $6 other than the dealer.
On the other hand my son is driving my XJ, and said the 4WD light isn't working on the dash. So I checked it out, and the switch is bad. They wanted $85 for the switch. I didn't even know it was supposed to have a light, so it still doesn't.

JKbrick

Is that inside the cab? The one on mine that broke like Eddie pictured is on the side of the transfer case under the jeep

Saharaunlmtd

Caught the Bug
That was inside the cab. I pulled the skid plate and checked the linkage under as well. It seemed fine.

I'm starting to think the noise is come from the front end. I was able to get in 4lo as well and it still made the sound.

Is there any obvious issues it could be out front that would only make the noise under throttle?

D30
Factory 4.10s
Open Differential

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If your T-case isn't fully engaging, it'll make a pretty harsh grinding sound and make it sound like it's bad. If you have your skid off, you can reach up and shift it there.

Saharaunlmtd

Caught the Bug
Hey WOL, by any chance do have a link to that video from JKF a few years ago when u sheared the rear ring gear in Moby? Just want to see if that sound was similar.

JKbrick

My thought is drop the front driveshaft to eliminate the front end but I'm not a mechanic, either that or the cable is not fully engaging the transfer case in any gear? Can you pop the cable off the side of the transfer case and get it in gear manually?

Saharaunlmtd

Caught the Bug
I'm thinking back to the initial signs of the problem and I think it could be characterized as a whining noise.

Is there anything obvious that would start out as a whine then become a grinding/clunking noise in the front end?

It only happens when 4wd is engaged and I supply pressure to the pedal. Once I let off the gas and coast, there is no noise.

JeepinLife

Caught the Bug
I'm thinking back to the initial signs of the problem and I think it could be characterized as a whining noise.

Is there anything obvious that would start out as a whine then become a grinding/clunking noise in the front end?

It only happens when 4wd is engaged and I supply pressure to the pedal. Once I let off the gas and coast, there is no noise.

Assuming you have checked everything that has been mentioned here. Check your driveshaft joints. Check to make sure you are fully engaged in 4wd.

Top Bottom