Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1624252627 LastLast

Thread: ATTENTION: Know Your Jeep JK Wrangler Coolants and Save Your Engine!

Quote Originally Posted by TrailHunter View Post
    Bump..

I never thought Coolant would be so confusing.... I noticed my coolant is a little below the MIN mark on the reservoir and I would like to top it off and have some extra on hand.... Can I not buy something from A local Napa, Autozone etc..? Is the "OAT" only sold at dealerships? Is MOPAR the only one that makes coolant for JK's?
    O'Reilly's sells it, but you can use the universal green shit with no problem. Just don't mix the HOAT and OAT.

--
    Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407
    Build Thread: The Adventures of Fiona
    '08 JKR Rescue Green 2-Door

Quote Originally Posted by BaddestCross View Post
    O'Reilly's sells it, but you can use the universal green shit with no problem. Just don't mix the HOAT and OAT.

--
    Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407
    Got it... there is an O'Reilly's down the street... If they don't have the OAT I'll get the universal 50/50... Thanks!

Been Around the Block
    I topped off the coolant reservoir 2 days ago after 4 yrs of owning Blanca and she still runs so I must have gotten the right coolant. LOL. I admit it was scary making sure I got OAT for the 14'

Fresh Catch
    Very confused. So here y'all say a 2015 Wrangler should use OAT but when I go online to Advanceautoparts, the "exact fit" is HOAT. Is there a way to know what's there now? Other than color since I'm color blind. I don't know that's it's ever been topped off. I have not had to do it yet.

ATTENTION: Know Your Jeep JK Wrangler Coolants and Save Your Engine!

Best bet is to go to your dealer and run your Vin#. It will tell you exactly what you need * That will tell you what it started with at least.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Last edited by CharlesC; 01-09-2019 at 03:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesC View Post
    Best bet is to go to your dealer and run your Vin#. It will tell you exactly what you need * That will tell you what it started with at least.

Vin. Not vin number.

Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

2012 Jeep Wrangler - Snorkelz
    1975 Jeep DJ5 - Mail Call

Quote Originally Posted by OverlanderJK View Post
    Vin. Not vin number.

Fresh Catch
    I've read through the entirety of the thread and now I'm probably a little over paranoid (bought the 2013 JKU in June w/62k miles...who knows if it's been topped off, etc). It has a manufacture date of Jan 2013 so I *should be* beyond the confusion of whether Chrysler made the change by model year or actual year.

Anyways, I need to replace the coolant thermostat (P0128) and just happened to find this thread. Obviously my owners manual calls for OAT and I pulled some out to check color but wanted to get a few extra eyes on it to be sure. Obviously looks orange as hell inside the radiator. When I pulled it out it definitely looks like it's got a purple hue (albeit slight) unless you shine light directly at it. Am I seeing that right? I tried to get photos at a bunch of different angles since it sounds like it's a light refraction issue. Thanks all!IMG_20190112_094057.jpgIMG_20190112_093902.jpgIMG_20190112_094233.jpgIMG_20190112_094224.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BeRoyalKC; 01-12-2019 at 05:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BeRoyalKC View Post
    I've read through the entirety of the thread and now I'm probably a little over paranoid (bought the 2013 JKU in June w/62k miles...who knows if it's been topped off, etc). It has a manufacture date of Jan 2013 so I *should be* beyond the confusion of whether Chrysler made the change by model year or actual year.

Anyways, I need to replace the coolant thermostat (P0128) and just happened to find this thread. Obviously my owners manual calls for OAT and I pulled some out to check color but wanted to get a few extra eyes on it to be sure. Obviously looks orange as hell inside the radiator. When I pulled it out it definitely looks like it's got a purple hue unless you shine light directly at it. Am I seeing that right? I tried to get photos at a bunch of different angles since it sounds like it's a light refraction issue. Thanks all!IMG_20190112_094057.jpgIMG_20190112_093902.jpgIMG_20190112_094233.jpgIMG_20190112_094224.jpg

Did you try to shine a light through the reservoir to see if it looks purple? If you take it out I think it has the orange color due to the light. I would think you're fine since mixing them causes it to solidify and you would probably notice performance issues.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Fresh Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by MSJKU11 View Post
    Did you try to shine a light through the reservoir to see if it looks purple? If you take it out I think it has the orange color due to the light. I would think you're fine since mixing them causes it to solidify and you would probably notice performance issues.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    I didn't take the reservoir out and shine a light through it, but I'll do that next. My issue is when I replace the coolant thermostat I'll need to top the coolant off and I want to be sure I'm using what's in there. I'm assuming it's OAT since that's what it should've come with from the factory and I haven't noticed any issues (it either hasn't been topped off or it has been with the correct stuff). Outside of color there's no way for me to know if it had previously been flushed and incorrectly filled with HOAT, though.

Might just have to consider a full flush to be completely sure.

Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1624252627 LastLast