Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trailer brainstorming

-

Trailer brainstorming

Been tossing around the idea of building a 2-axle offroad trailer but not sure if it can even be done or if the final result would work the way I'm wanting. I found a pic of the same concept behind an ATV but I want to try something on a slightly larger scale that can also be towed on the road. Any ideas?1387447704140.jpg

We are Jeep..Resistance is futile..

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ridg3runner View Post
    Been tossing around the idea of building a 2-axle offroad trailer but not sure if it can even be done or if the final result would work the way I'm wanting. I found a pic of the same concept behind an ATV but I want to try something on a slightly larger scale that can also be towed on the road. Any ideas?1387447704140.jpg

Anything can be done. If you don't mind me asking; Why two axle? Anything weighing enough to require 2 axles should not be towed through a hard trail. So my guess is for stability; with that being said, single axles are not known to have a problem. Two axles may be more of a hinderance when negotiating obstacles.

So back to the question, is there a reason you see for two?

-
    Well.. goes back to something I saw last summer while camping. There was a creek crossing with a fairly deep hole that someone else was trying to negotiate with a small single axle trailer and once his wheels dropped into it his day went downhill directly. I wondered if a 2 axle would have worked better in that situation as one axle would always have better footing. The added stability is what I'm thinking of, not weight capacity as all of my camping gear combined might weigh 500lbs at the most.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ridg3runner View Post
    Well.. goes back to something I saw last summer while camping. There was a creek crossing with a fairly deep hole that someone else was trying to negotiate with a small single axle trailer and once his wheels dropped into it his day went downhill directly. I wondered if a 2 axle would have worked better in that situation as one axle would always have better footing. The added stability is what I'm thinking of, not weight capacity as all of my camping gear combined might weigh 500lbs at the most.

Well thats as good a reason as any... Im sure it can be done. I will help you brainstorm if you like

Been Around the Block Tumbleweed's Avatar

At 1:50 watch the axles rotate. I like the way the walking beam will flip over as needed.
    Last edited by Tumbleweed; 12-19-2013 at 02:48 PM.
    '11 JK Silver 2 Door-ACE bumpers-37" Toyo Open Country MTs-Smittybilt sliders-Warn 10K Zeon Winch-3" lift front -4.5" JKU lift rear-Fox shocks-AEV heat reduction hood-ProRock 44-ARB lockers-5.13 gears-RubiCrawler-RCV Axles-Poison Spyder Crusher Flares-EVO Rock Skins-M.O.R.E. Battery Tray-Odyssey dual batteries-ProGrip Brakes-PSC Hydro Assist

-
    I just followed a trailer down the 101 that was similar to what I'm thinking of,only slightly bigger.It was empty and we all know how rough the 101 can be. This thing didn't bounce hardly at all like my single axle trailer does. I can't think of much worse than wearing a beer that was in the cooler - which was transported in a bouncing trailer.

-
    Quote Originally Posted by Tumbleweed View Post

At 1:50 watch the axles rotate. I like the way the walking beam will flip over as needed.
    Take a closer look at how they made the walking beam, it's just a plate bolted to the hub/spindle of a single axle. That might be a good starting point for allowing the axles to pivot but but would be tough to make it road worthy due to not having the two front and two rear wheels tied together. Meaning, there would be play in the alignment and it would travel down the road like bad shopping cart. Good find, Tumbleweed!

Why not a Military trailer with a pointless hitch, proven pretty well. I have one if you would like to take a look at it. Carries a lot of stuff!
    2011 JKU Stone White Rubicon
    Chazak ve Amatz! חֲזַ֖ק וֶאֱמָ֑ץ Be Strong & Courageous! Joshua 1:6
    "praesis ut prosis ne ut imperes"

Just love auto correct - a pintle hitch
    2011 JKU Stone White Rubicon
    Chazak ve Amatz! חֲזַ֖ק וֶאֱמָ֑ץ Be Strong & Courageous! Joshua 1:6
    "praesis ut prosis ne ut imperes"

If I remember correctly they make small trailers for hauling scrap and concrete that they rent at local rental yards. Maybe stop by amd see who the mfg is or if they want to get rid of an old one and you can repurpose it?

They are short little double axle trailers maybe about the footprint of a 2 man tent maybe a bit wider?
    '14 JKUR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast