Thread: Thumping noise in rear end

Fresh Catch

Thumping noise in rear end

My Jeep JKUR has developed an unfamiliar noise when I'm turning corners. When I round a corner, I hear and feel a bit of a thumping noise from the rear-end. Seems like it alternates in that if I hear it when I'm turning left, I won't hear it again if my next turn is left. However if I'm turning right after having turned left I will hear it and vice versa. My inclination is that it's a differential issue. Anyone else ever had this issue? Any suggestions?

Interesting update. I wondered if there was something getting hung up with my locker, so I engaged the locker drove it a few hundred yards, then disengaged the locker. It seemed to clear up the problem for about a day. Now the problem is backed. I talked to my Jeep dealer...no help at all. They said they could fit it in after the New Year.
    Last edited by ryanh_99; 12-20-2013 at 02:56 PM. Reason: UPDATE

Been Around the Block mtnbiker995's Avatar
    I had something extremely similar to this and the cross pin through my spider gears was sheared in half

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Follow the rebuild of YEEP here

Been Around the Block mtnbiker995's Avatar
    Edit: sorry I didn't register you said jkur so you have a locker not spider gears. Nevermind that post haha

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Follow the rebuild of YEEP here