SoCal snow wheeling

Anybody know of some snow wheeling in the big bear area that is legal and open? (Cleghorn, dishpan, etc...) I'm hoping to get in the snow over the next couple of weeks as I am on vacation.

Thanks,
Sean

crowrb29

Pretty much all the trails are still open. If the trails are on the north slope, or cross the north slope of the mountains they will probably still have snow. It just snowed again there the other day too so there should be more.

This is how it looked there last weekend. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1387642881.831987.jpg

Pretty much all the trails are still open. If the trails are on the north slope, or cross the north slope of the mountains they will probably still have snow. It just snowed again there the other day too so there should be more.

This is how it looked there last weekend. View attachment 61083

What trail is that? And what are some trails on the north slope, I'm not too familiar with big bear as I've only been a few times.

Thanks,
Sean

MC2003TJ

The best snow wheeling I have found in the San Bernardino mountains are from silverswood lake towards Lake Arrowhead. It is the Miller jeep trail. It runs up the valley and the snow is hidden from the sun to melt it. It is safe also with no cliffs to slip off.

crowrb29

I'd say more than likely gold mtn will have snow, Holcomb creek, and John Bull would probably too. They are all blacks. The trail I'm on in this pic is Van Dusen canyon. It's more of a mild fire service road. I'm also willing to bet most of the trails on the north side of big bear lake will have snow. Not as sure about the trails by lake arrowhead because I haven't been out there since September. If you have anymore questions pm me. I have family up there so I can ask around for you.

I'd say more than likely gold mtn will have snow, Holcomb creek, and John Bull would probably too. They are all blacks. The trail I'm on in this pic is Van Dusen canyon. It's more of a mild fire service road. I'm also willing to bet most of the trails on the north side of big bear lake will have snow. Not as sure about the trails by lake arrowhead because I haven't been out there since September. If you have anymore questions pm me. I have family up there so I can ask around for you.

I'm ok with a mild service road for my first time out in the snow, as long as there is some good views and nature. I'll check some of those places out!

Thanks,
Sean

The best snow wheeling I have found in the San Bernardino mountains are from silverswood lake towards Lake Arrowhead. It is the Miller jeep trail. It runs up the valley and the snow is hidden from the sun to melt it. It is safe also with no cliffs to slip off.

Do you know if there is snow there now? I'd imagine there would be snow at cleghorn If there is snow on the miller trail.

Thanks,
Sean

MC2003TJ

There may be some snowy patches but I don't think we have had a cold enough storm to drop good snow. I have only had snow on the top of cleghorn once in 20 years of jeeping.

jesse3638

Hooked
Also if I remember correctly I believe the name of the trail is sugar pine and heads W-SW from Silverwood up and over the mountain towards North San Bernardino/Devore community. The entire first half in on a north slope and I hear its pretty fun in the snow. Plus once u get to the top there are great views and I'd be willing to bet that on a clear day you can see the ocean from up there.

Sent from my EVO using WAYALIFE mobile app

Also if I remember correctly I believe the name of the trail is sugar pine and heads W-SW from Silverwood up and over the mountain towards North San Bernardino/Devore community. The entire first half in on a north slope and I hear its pretty fun in the snow. Plus once u get to the top there are great views and I'd be willing to bet that on a clear day you can see the ocean from up there.

Sent from my EVO using WAYALIFE mobile app

I will look the details about that trail up

There may be some snowy patches but I don't think we have had a cold enough storm to drop good snow. I have only had snow on the top of cleghorn once in 20 years of jeeping.

Didn't it snow at cleghorn last year?

Thanks,
Sean

MC2003TJ

I have not been lucky enough to have good snow on cleghorn. Snow wheeling on a mountain where you can slide off is a little scary. I was snow wheeling up in wright wood one year and a jeeper slipped off and died. Above the shooting range in the lytle creek area. There was good snow on the north side of the mountain and my dad and I went about 200 yards further in 3 foot deep snow than a red military style hummer. Jeeps rule!

mcpuck

Caught the Bug
The best snow wheeling I have found in the San Bernardino mountains are from silverswood lake towards Lake Arrowhead. It is the Miller jeep trail.

Ummm … probably not the Miller Jeep trail. That is well north/west of silverwood lake and off the 5 freeway an hour north of LA.

MC2003TJ

Ummm!!! Look at a map of the area we are talking about. It is the miller jeep trail up miller canyon by lake silverwood off of the 15 fwy. Trail number 2n37. Also tunnel ridge 2n34 is good for snow. I am aware of the other Miller jeep trail. Many trails are named the same.

crowrb29

Just to dispel any rumors. I had a buddy up there today and he said other than in some shady patches there is no snow around on any of the silver wood lake trails.

Just to dispel any rumors. I had a buddy up there today and he said other than in some shady patches there is no snow around on any of the silver wood lake trails.

Good info there, thanks for the update on current conditions.

Thanks,
Sean

Anybody know if Holcomb valley has any snow? I found a YouTube video that looks pretty promising

Thanks,
Sean

crowrb29

Anybody know if Holcomb valley has any snow? I found a YouTube video that looks pretty promising

Thanks,
Sean

I'm willing to bet it does, at least in the shade. I would get out there sooner than later though cuz the weather forecast looks pretty warm all week.

huggysjk

Some of us will be out that way this weekend. Hitting Dishpan springs, John Bull, maybe Gold mountain. depends on time etc. It's under new years run suds and fun etc. Calicrusher is putting it together. some guys were out at John Bull last weekend. there was some snow. they had to turn around to wet slick I guess. very little snow around Big Bear right now. I was up at cabin last weekend and will be there tomorrow.
I'm willing to bet it does, at least in the shade. I would get out there sooner than later though cuz the weather forecast looks pretty warm all week.

Top Bottom