3.6 shift points

Sugarbear

Just outta curiosity what RPM do you usually shift your 3.6 mines seems to be screamin at 3 grand but I might be so used to other cars where I could shift them at 3500 like it was normal

jeffd

Just outta curiosity what RPM do you usually shift your 3.6 mines seems to be screamin at 3 grand but I might be so used to other cars where I could shift them at 3500 like it was normal

depends on how quick you are trying to go. I personally don't think 3K on a 3.6L is too high.

davantalus

Oooo. Dunno if I have your answer, but I'd love to contribute... JKUR, manual, 4.10 (stock)

Lets forget mood for a second... I'm sure everyone here could bounce off the redline right up to 4th if they want to haul ass. Woo.

Know what you mean about screaming. I typically shift soon and often. I'll be in third by the time I'm through a big intersection, and typically shifting before I leave the "green" on the tach. Sometimes I use 1st just enough to initiate a roll and then move on to 2nd. There's an art to not lugging the motor though given variables like weight, velocity, and inclination.

So... a preface: I am by my own account a decently skilled pilot. I have 26k miles on my 2013 JK now. At least 100 of those miles are in traffic, slightly uphill, at 1mph, downtown Los Angeles, during the worst hours, while flossing and texting my dog...

So it's with some trepidation that I put this out there: I have a very hard time shifting *smoothly* from first to second. I watch my passenger's heads sway on every 1->2 shift and yern for the perfect shift (1 out of 504). I'm probably doing it wrong. Would love some advice.

So where do I typically shift? I'm not a huge fan of slow... so slightly past the "green". I agree, it's kinda noisy. I guess that's the gearing for you?

crowrb29

Oooo. Dunno if I have your answer, but I'd love to contribute... JKUR, manual, 4.10 (stock)

Lets forget mood for a second... I'm sure everyone here could bounce off the redline right up to 4th if they want to haul ass. Woo.

Know what you mean about screaming. I typically shift soon and often. I'll be in third by the time I'm through a big intersection, and typically shifting before I leave the "green" on the tach. Sometimes I use 1st just enough to initiate a roll and then move on to 2nd. There's an art to not lugging the motor though given variables like weight, velocity, and inclination.

So... a preface: I am by my own account a decently skilled pilot. I have 26k miles on my 2013 JK now. At least 100 of those miles are in traffic, slightly uphill, at 1mph, downtown Los Angeles, during the worst hours, while flossing and texting my dog...

So it's with some trepidation that I put this out there: I have a very hard time shifting *smoothly* from first to second. I watch my passenger's heads sway on every 1->2 shift and yern for the perfect shift (1 out of 504). I'm probably doing it wrong. Would love some advice.

So where do I typically shift? I'm not a huge fan of slow... so slightly past the "green". I agree, it's kinda noisy. I guess that's the gearing for you?

I guess it might just be a jeep thing. I rode in a buddies 2010 and I was lurching forward at every shift. He kinda drives like an ass though.

Sugarbear

Yea I've driven stick for years but I can't get a smooth shift for the life of me untill 3-4. 1 -2 is rough and 2-3 is clunky trying to figure if I wasn't shifting at the right rpm or if I'm that damn rusty that I'll have to re learn my last stick was a cummins and it might as well have Been automatic

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yea I've driven stick for years but I can't get a smooth shift for the life of me untill 3-4. 1 -2 is rough and 2-3 is clunky trying to figure if I wasn't shifting at the right rpm or if I'm that damn rusty that I'll have to re learn my last stick was a cummins and it might as well have Been automatic

The 3.6L is just a motor that likes to run on the high side of RPM's. You'll get used to it.

TrailBear

I shift around 2500 to 3000 when I'm trying to get good mileage, when I want to feel the power I let it hit the redline before I shift.

Top Bottom