Will my insurance cover my 80k rig?

BBG

Has anybody on here had a problem with their insurance provider covering all the upgrades to their rig ?

the first step is admitting you have a problem. .... Hello everyone I'm hdawg and I'm a jeep-a-halic

StrizzyChris

I know there's a thread where people discussed this topic. The jist that I got from that thread, is that you need to contact your insurance company and notify them that its a modified Jeep and you want aftermarket parts covered as well as keep all receipts for the parts and photograph it with all the parts as well. This should cover all your bases :yup:

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Excellent advice. If there's an accident or it's stolen you'll be left holding a major bag. Your premium will increase, but probably not as much as you fear. Good luck and Happy New Year!:thumb:

JKFlyer

Mine went up a bit but also caused a problem BC as soon as they heard winch they were going to cancel me and it wasn't until I spoke w underwriting that I got cleared...had to convince them no offroading. This was with GEICO. I have about 5-6k covered but since then spent more and am afraid to call back again

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

bnatt78

Then I have a question and it might of been answered on another thread. I have not lifted or put bigger tires or rims on yet, but have done a lot of other things to my jeep. What insurance should I get besides the normal auto insurance for my Jeep?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

JKFlyer

Then I have a question and it might of been answered on another thread. I have not lifted or put bigger tires or rims on yet, but have done a lot of other things to my jeep. What insurance should I get besides the normal auto insurance for my Jeep?

Its not a separate policy but more so adding on items to your current policy

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

ltdanlj

While some insurance will take care of small things(bumpers, etc), keep in mind that your insurance company is basing your premiums off the value of a stock vehicle. There's a reason an $80,000 Mercedes has a higher premium than a $35,000 dollar Jeep....

redpatchjeff

I've never had a problem. I just tell them that I've got additional accessories. I didn't even have to provide receipts.

I've also asked about coverage during off-road trips - their response was "as long as it is not a sanctioned racing event, it's covered."

I have Geico FWIW.

Also, it might be fair to mention that I am a licensed insurance professional and know the underwriter.

bnatt78

Thank you for the info and I guess I should check with my insurance company and go from there. Thanks again!

SDG

Caught the Bug
I believe you can get a rider? To cover mods in excess of 10k depending in your ins co. It slightly increases the premium but should cover the vehicle for the normal stuff. Like if you get rear ended on the freeway and it totals your rig with coilovers tire carrier etc... however these dont cover labor for installs just hard costs. At least thats my understanding.

SaddleTramp

I know there's a thread where people discussed this topic. The jist that I got from that thread, is that you need to contact your insurance company and notify them that its a modified Jeep and you want aftermarket parts covered as well as keep all receipts for the parts and photograph it with all the parts as well. This should cover all your bases :yup:

Was on the phone with our agent last week about this same topic and he confirmed the same. He just said to keep all receipts, take photos and videos and that there wasn't a need for a rider or any adjusted "stated value". I did confirm with him that this wasn't just wheels and tires and that replacement accessories costs were well north of $20K and he didn't flinch and said all would be covered as long as I could prove the value to replace.

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
Was on the phone with our agent last week about this same topic and he confirmed the same. He just said to keep all receipts, take photos and videos and that there wasn't a need for a rider or any adjusted "stated value". I did confirm with him that this wasn't just wheels and tires and that replacement accessories costs were well north of $20K and he didn't flinch and said all would be covered as long as I could prove the value to replace.

Best to get that in writing!

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Has anybody on here had a problem with their insurance provider covering all the upgrades to their rig ?

the first step is admitting you have a problem. .... Hello everyone I'm hdawg and I'm a jeep-a-halic

No, no standard insurance company will cover that much aftermarket. You can sometimes add riders to your homeowners, but I have read nightmare stories about collecting the money if it gets stolen/wrecked. Hagerty WILL insure you for the full shebang, but since it is a modern vehicle, they will limit you to 3000 miles a year. I have Geico on my Jeep with $6000 in aftermarket coverage, and my s2000 is insured with hagerty (blue book of 17K, fully insured for $45K). A word of warning...from what I have HEARD, do not mention the word "winch" to geico. They will flag your vehicle as a commercial vehicle, have your voice on tape, and raise your premium through the roof.

Last edited:

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I've never had a problem. I just tell them that I've got additional accessories. I didn't even have to provide receipts.

I've also asked about coverage during off-road trips - their response was "as long as it is not a sanctioned racing event, it's covered."

I have Geico FWIW.

Also, it might be fair to mention that I am a licensed insurance professional and know the underwriter.

Are you paying extra for this coverage? If not, the agent was BSing you, and they won't cover a dime of aftermarket. Although I didn't need to provide receipts, they did ask me what I had and how much it cost (ie lighting, $2000, sound system $1200, Armor $1500, etc.)

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug

Complete BS. Unless they make money off of you, they are not going to cover it. You are paying X amount of dollars for Y amount of coverage. There is no way they are going to let you pay X amount of dollars for Y+Z amount of coverage. If that were the case, they would insure a bentley for the same price as a kia. You are paying a certain amount of money for their risk...if the risk goes up for them, the payments must go up as well. I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see this in writing "we will cover anything as long as you have the receipt."

BBG

Awesome guys keep it coming I appreciate this. .......

We have been told no on several occasions. We have called just about every insurance company out there and they all say NOPE! Most will not cover riders over 5K either because of their loss to value ratio. Our last option is something called "agreed value" insurance which allows you to negotiate based on the value of your modifications and premiums. Its not a cheap option but if its between nothing and something...hey we're looking into it. If anyone find someone that will cover (in writing) north of 20K please let me know and I will switch right now :eek:

Top Bottom