building corner guards

Holeshot

Banned
Hey guys, I have been thinking about this for a while, and I would like to build my own rear corner guards. This way I could save money, and personalize my rig a little more.

I want them to fit and follow the body contour just like the poison spyder crusher corners or the AEV builder corners, except for the top part where it curves near the top.

I know it wont be easy, if you have any ideas feel free to share.

I thought about building a template with braces on the exterior part so I can bend the sheet with an hydraulic press. (1/8" steel for info).

To make this possible, I need to build a frame with a swivel on one end so I can bolt the sheet on the swivel, which will prevent the sheet from moving in the mold when pressing it, and will follow the move of the sheet while its moving down during the pressing. Draft of my idea to follow.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just to make sure, you are aware that unlike any other Wrangler before, the JK does not have a single straight body panel on it, right? In other words, EVERY body panel has a surface that is contoured both horizontally and vertically and this was done to help improve aerodynamics. If you've noticed, AEV corners do have a perfect fit but, to get them that way, they have to be thin as they are stamped. Of course, the PS corners are literally AEV corners with the addition of longer sides welded onto them. If you look, you will even see the seam on them. Long story short, you will never be able to make a set on your own and have them fit as well as either of them.

Holeshot

Banned
EVERY body panel has a surface that is contoured both horizontally and vertically and this was done to help improve aerodynamics.

You have a good point, and no I didn't think about the vertical curb. :thinking: I guess I'm gonna have to spend a little more money on these in this case lol.

Last edited:
Top Bottom