Rear Seatbelt Lock issue

JKFlyer

I did a search but couldn't find anything here. So, i have a 2010 4 door. Booster seat in the back. When my son tries to put on his seatbelt, 2 out of 3 times it is locked. since it's already routed through the highback booster, it's a pain as i have to un route it, let it full retract, and then pull it back out. I can't seem to find a rhyme or rythme...for example, car being on or my foot on brake seems to have no effect.

Is there any way to prevent this?

Thanks

jkjurny

If you let it fast retract, it'll auto lock. It's a feature for installing car seats. You need to slowly let it spool.

Since I have car seats, I like how Incan make it auto lock easily, but seems that the feature is too sensitive for those without car seats?

steve_r2

If you let it fast retract, it'll auto lock. It's a feature for installing car seats. You need to slowly let it spool.

Since I have car seats, I like how Incan make it auto lock easily, but seems that the feature is too sensitive for those without car seats?
Yep , done that.... however it locks on the slightest movement to the extent that backseat passengers can hardly move or breath (in some cases thats not a bad point....I might just leave as is :brows:)

SaddleTramp

Same problem here, I just have to remind my 7yo son to pull the belt slowly when he fastens it or we have to do the dance where I jump to the back, unthread his seat, retract all the way and start over. Never a problem with the fronts, just the rears.

JKFlyer

That's exactly same with me

Wait...us that the answer? Pulling the seatbelt slowly?

I also noticed if u leave the belt out ( not retracted) after kid gets out problem doesn't happen

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

SaddleTramp

That's exactly same with me

Wait...us that the answer? Pulling the seatbelt slowly?

I also noticed if u leave the belt out ( not retracted) after kid gets out problem doesn't happen

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

That's the answer that works for us, seems the JK belts are just sensitive. I just went out to the garage and in our '14 JK, all 3 rear belts lock if I pull them quickly and I know in our other vehicles the belts lock up in each of them the same too. Most belts have a pendulum or inertial mech that locks if triggered, not sure about the jeep though, had heard it uses a different mechanism altogether. It will also lock on retraction if it gets pulled out too far/all the way by design for child seats that don't use the LATCH system to anchor the seats.

Sometimes ours locks too because our son just pulls it out too far to latch it.

All this car seat talk and we're starting to sound like Good Housekeeping around here, :).

Last edited:

Devallee

Like SaddleTramp said, I think there is some kind of locking mechanism in there that keeps locking it. I had the same problem and I pulled off the seatbelt mechanism and played with it and at certain angles it would work fine, and at others it would lock. So I just took a hammer and a flathead and beat it until it was sitting at the angle where it would work, and I haven't had the issue since. Might not be the prettiest way to get it done but it did the job. Much better than the dealer charging some ridiculous price they quoted me to even LOOK at it and find the problem before charging even more for the parts to fix it. Mine seemed like it had been pulled too hard and the spool was knocked out of position so I just beat it until it looked straight again :thumb:

steve_r2

Like SaddleTramp said, I think there is some kind of locking mechanism in there that keeps locking it. I had the same problem and I pulled off the seatbelt mechanism and played with it and at certain angles it would work fine, and at others it would lock. So I just took a hammer and a flathead and beat it until it was sitting at the angle where it would work, and I haven't had the issue since. Might not be the prettiest way to get it done but it did the job. Much better than the dealer charging some ridiculous price they quoted me to even LOOK at it and find the problem before charging even more for the parts to fix it. Mine seemed like it had been pulled too hard and the spool was knocked out of position so I just beat it until it looked straight again :thumb:

Ahhhh ......the beat it with the hammer trick.....if it doesn't work first time use a bigger hammer !!! :yup:

Army_Vet

Banned
I think its actually something different than a fast spool lock. It is a safety feature for car seats.

here was a quick search result from google.
Automatic Locking Retractor (ALR) belts
Newer seat belts when fully extended from the retractor switch from an Emergency Locking Retractor (ELR) to an ALR seat belt which works by stopping any more of the webbing from being pulled out, therefore it is "locked". To unlock this and resume use as an ELR seat belt the buckle must be disengaged and the webbing fed back into the retractor. This will allow the belt to flow freely into and out of the retractor.
ALR are belts also referred to as "restraint belts, or Switchable retractors". These belts are deigned to function as both a normal seat belt, that locks when pulled down hard on and they can also hold a car seat tightly without the need for a locking clip.
To know if your belts are ALR belts you can fully extend the belt, listen for the clicks and tug on it, or you can look for the white label attached to the bolted end of the belt (opposite the buckle).

I think this may be what is going on with your seat belt.

steve_r2

I think its actually something different than a fast spool lock. It is a safety feature for car seats.

here was a quick search result from google.
Automatic Locking Retractor (ALR) belts
Newer seat belts when fully extended from the retractor switch from an Emergency Locking Retractor (ELR) to an ALR seat belt which works by stopping any more of the webbing from being pulled out, therefore it is "locked". To unlock this and resume use as an ELR seat belt the buckle must be disengaged and the webbing fed back into the retractor. This will allow the belt to flow freely into and out of the retractor.
ALR are belts also referred to as "restraint belts, or Switchable retractors". These belts are deigned to function as both a normal seat belt, that locks when pulled down hard on and they can also hold a car seat tightly without the need for a locking clip.
To know if your belts are ALR belts you can fully extend the belt, listen for the clicks and tug on it, or you can look for the white label attached to the bolted end of the belt (opposite the buckle).

I think this may be what is going on with your seat belt.
Thanks AV.....describes perfectly what is happening....shall check mine soon as I get out from work.

Top Bottom