Rear pinion angle

texas05

Finishing up a lift install and wanted to check what the difference between the driveshaft angle and pinion angle should be. Seems like a remember 2 degrees down or parallel.

Thanks in advance.

David1tontj

It depends on what type of driveshaft you have..

If you have a standard driveshaft (total of 2 u joints) then you want the pinion to be parallel with the output shaft of the transfercase/transmission.

If you have a C.V. Driveshaft, then you want the pinion to point straight at the output shaft.. In this application, the driveshaft will be parallel to the pinion.

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

David1tontj

Here is a couple pics to better explain ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1388365794.419347.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1388365816.481538.jpg

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have the stock unit.

A stock shaft has rzeppa CV joints and it really doesn't matter how they sit in relationship to each other. If you just lifted your Jeep, your output shaft and pinion will be parallel to each other and that's fine. If you have a 2-door and 3" of lift or more, I would save up for a new u-joint style shaft and upper rear control arms to set your pinion angle as it won't be long until the joints fail.

JeepinLife

Caught the Bug
A stock shaft has rzeppa CV joints and it really doesn't matter how they sit in relationship to each other. If you just lifted your Jeep, your output shaft and pinion will be parallel to each other and that's fine. If you have a 2-door and 3" of lift or more, I would save up for a new u-joint style shaft and upper rear control arms to set your pinion angle as it won't be long until the joints fail.

True story

Top Bottom