can i remover ratios and lockers and install in a current modle

zaid7

I have currently purchased my self a new jku sport and I still have my 08 Jk sitting here my question is to save my self a fair amount of money as they still relatively new can I remove the 4.88 ratios and arb lockers and put them in my new one the only difference is my new Jk is auto not manual

Army_Vet

Banned
I have currently purchased my self a new jku sport and I still have my 08 Jk sitting here my question is to save my self a fair amount of money as they still relatively new can I remove the 4.88 ratios and arb lockers and put them in my new one the only difference is my new Jk is auto not manual

If you have a problem it would not be with the transmission, it will be with the model of axle. But as long as they are the same axles, I dont see a problem.

Army_Vet

Banned
Both axles will be d30 so I gues they are the same

I dont recall any major differences between the model years of D-30's so im guessing you will be fine.
I hope you are having a qualified person do the swap, or are qualified yourself. You will still need a new install kit for both jeeps, but this would still be cheaper that new lockers and gears. but a shop may still charge a fair amount for the work. Good Luck....

Holeshot

Banned
If you think your old housings are still in good shape, I would just swap everything on the new jeep by myself, you'd save a LOT of money. Doing a ratio change will costs nearly 16 to 20hours of labor :eek: for both differentials on both jeeps.

noroad

I agree swaping the whole axle to the jeep is a much better way to go just make sure that if you switch the front dana 30 (4.88) that there is no front driveshaft on untill the rear is at the same ratio. but this would save you the most money.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If you think your old housings are still in good shape, I would just swap everything on the new jeep by myself, you'd save a LOT of money. Doing a ratio change will costs nearly 16 to 20hours of labor :eek: for both differentials on both jeeps.

This is what I was about to recommend.

zaid7

I was actually considering doing that but my only problem is I think my old front housing may either have a bent tube or bent inner c as one tyre seems to look like it is on camber best way to actually find out . And also by switching the axles straight over would the dealer no they had been switched for warranty providing it would still be covered with lockers in it

Top Bottom