Stock 3.8 overheating issue?

bl17z90

Hey guys,

This has been going on for awile. 2 years ago I went to Ocean City MD and got into some mud. Now if you don't know anything about the Eastern Shore of MD, it is all sand. So this mud was very sandy. Well my Jeep began overheating. When I finally got to a hose I spent a couple hours spraying it out and over the next summer did that 2 more times. I also added some random 50/50 coolant to it.

So when it actually overheats is with the AC running on the highway when I am running 2500 RPM or higher on really hot days or when I am just sitting still on a really hot day, also with the AC running. So last summer I decided I was going to fix this for good. I spent about 4 hours with the fan pulled spraying the radiator and condensor from the front and the back with a decent pressure hose. And when I finished I replaced the fan with this product.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0042OV9QO/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So after it was all said and done I sat in my driveway (about 85 degrees out) holding the throttle at 4000 RPM and no problems. A couple weeks later it was around 95 out and i was sitting outside waiting for a friend with the ac running and it began overheating.

Any ideas? Could I have ruined my cooling system with the other fluid I put in? Would a flush and refill possibly help me? Maybe pull the condensor off and spray it out that way?

2010 2 door.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Hey guys,

This has been going on for awile. 2 years ago I went to Ocean City MD and got into some mud. Now if you don't know anything about the Eastern Shore of MD, it is all sand. So this mud was very sandy. Well my Jeep began overheating. When I finally got to a hose I spent a couple hours spraying it out and over the next summer did that 2 more times. I also added some random 50/50 coolant to it.

So when it actually overheats is with the AC running on the highway when I am running 2500 RPM or higher on really hot days or when I am just sitting still on a really hot day, also with the AC running. So last summer I decided I was going to fix this for good. I spent about 4 hours with the fan pulled spraying the radiator and condensor from the front and the back with a decent pressure hose. And when I finished I replaced the fan with this product.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0042OV9QO/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So after it was all said and done I sat in my driveway (about 85 degrees out) holding the throttle at 4000 RPM and no problems. A couple weeks later it was around 95 out and i was sitting outside waiting for a friend with the ac running and it began overheating.

Any ideas? Could I have ruined my cooling system with the other fluid I put in? Would a flush and refill possibly help me? Maybe pull the condensor off and spray it out that way?

2010 2 door.

i would say start with a full fresh coolent flush. use NFRSS2000's "know your fluids" write up to start.

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?13239-ATTENTION-Know-Your-Coolants-and-Save-Your-Engine!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I hate to say it but, adding standard green 50/50 might be your problem here and I too would recommend doing a flush.

Elusive

make sure the slow speed and the high speed settings on the fan are both working.
my slow speed circuit stopped working and it burned out the relay behind the drivers headlight.
It ended up being a little thermistor dohickey attached to the fan wiring. replaced it a year ago and no problems in the desert heat.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
make sure the slow speed and the high speed settings on the fan are both working.
my slow speed circuit stopped working and it burned out the relay behind the drivers headlight.
It ended up being a little thermistor dohickey attached to the fan wiring. replaced it a year ago and no problems in the desert heat.

I doubt that the case here but, that's a really good suggestion. Always a good idea to look at the simple things first. :yup:

Top Bottom