Pressure washers

Chairokey

Does anyone own a pressure washer? I'm wondering how small of one I could get away with. Is 1500 psi well enough to wash off old caked on mud?

Prime8

Chairokey said:
Does anyone own a pressure washer? I'm wondering how small of one I could get away with. Is 1500 psi well enough to wash off old caked on mud?

According to old timers I've talked to, don't use a pressure washer on paint you care about. If you have the smallest chip, it will shoot right under your paint and blast off chunks. You are better off just using one of those "high pressure" nozzles on your standard hose and letting it soak. I used to stick one of those fan shaped sprinklers that goes back and forth under my XJ for about 10 mins. That got off most of the mud, which was a thick clay baked on in Phoenix heat. If it can remove that, it can remove your mud...

Prime8

And think about your question... Would you rest 1500 pounds of steel on one square inch of your thin sheet metal body? I wouldn't...

Chairokey

Prime8 said:
And think about your question... Would you rest 1500 pounds of steel on one square inch of your thin sheet metal body? I wouldn't...

Well sure if you hold the nozzle within a foot of the vehicle lol. I'd be comfortable standing a few feet back. Not to mention I would assume the pressure is adjustable, I don't know that for a fact though. Well hell I wonder what the pressure on the hoses at the car wash are. I got 1500 psi from a magazine being that it was the weakest one they sold, for $99.

Prime8

Chairokey said:
Well sure if you hold the nozzle within a foot of the vehicle lol. I'd be comfortable standing a few feet back. Not to mention I would assume the pressure is adjustable, I don't know that for a fact though. Well hell I wonder what the pressure on the hoses at the car wash are. I got 1500 psi from a magazine being that it was the weakest one they sold, for $99.

Haha and for 100 bucks, how accurate do you think the adjustability will be...?

Prime8

And if you are standing back so the psi is greatly lowered and it doesn't damage your paint, why bother with a pressure washer in the first place...? If you are going to actually be using low pressure, why waste the money...? Because you KNOW one of these times you're going to get some stubborn mud, and being that I am assuming you're a man, you'll try to muscle your way through it, right? I mean, that's what I'd do... I'd put the nozzle right up to the body and try to peel the mud off. It only takes that one time of forgetful foolhardy-ness to damage the paint. Just my opinion though. I had looked into pressure washers at one point too, and this is what I learned, so I'm just passing it on.

kaptkrappy

I have this one.

But Prime is right, don't directly spray any thing with paint on it unless you want the paint to come off (sometimes you do).

It is a very useful tool and I use it all the time. Boat, vinyl siding, mud on the bottom of JK, grand kids......

It has 2 different nossels, an adjustable fan spray and this swirling nossel thing that will cut through concrete if you let it.

Chairokey

Well the trick is to stand back to where he pressure is lowered to where I need it. Not so far that it's useless. My issue is that my water pressure at the house is low and a regular nozzle for the hose doesn't have enough pressure to clean dried mud.

I think I'll look into the one you have with the fan sprayer. I just hope high water pressure isn't required to operate effectively

Top Bottom