3.6L with 40's

ak49

I did a quick search but didn't see anything. Does anyone have experience with the 3.6l motor with auto transmission and 40's? Is the motor enough (assuming at least 5:13 gears) or does everyone want/plan on doing an engine swap? I currently have 35's, but have had 37's in the past. Thinking about upgrading to D60's or a D60 front and D80 rear and going to 40's. Haven't rode in a JK with 40's and the 3.6 Auto combo and wanted to get some feedback.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I did a quick search but didn't see anything. Does anyone have experience with the 3.6l motor with auto transmission and 40's? Is the motor enough (assuming at least 5:13 gears) or does everyone want/plan on doing an engine swap? I currently have 35's, but have had 37's in the past. Thinking about upgrading to D60's or a D60 front and D80 rear and going to 40's. Haven't rode in a JK with 40's and the 3.6 Auto combo and wanted to get some feedback.

A friend of ours, Dave, the guy in the gecko green JK that you see on the JKX videos is now running 40's on his JK with 3.6L motor. With the right gear ratio, I think you will find that there is sufficient power.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
A friend of ours, Dave, the guy in the gecko green JK that you see on the JKX videos is now running 40's on his JK with 3.6L motor. With the right gear ratio, I think you will find that there is sufficient power.

The Canadian guy with the commando green 4 door that ran the rubicon with us this year had 40's as well. Don't remember his name on here or what gears he was running though.

TrailBear

The Canadian guy with the commando green 4 door that ran the rubicon with us this year had 40's as well. Don't remember his name on here or what gears he was running though.

I think the guys name is Grant, not sure if he's on here, if it's the guy I'm thinking of , did it have rockjock's under it ?

I'm running 40's with 3.6, auto and 5.38's like White Dynamite said. It drives great. Nice around town and runs about 2700rpm at 70 (if memory serves me). What questions you have specifically?

optimus prime

That was me (Grant) with the commando green. Yup I run 40"s and 5.38-1 gears and it compleatly manageable

You can run in 6th gear comfortably and my fuel mileage isn't bad either. I used to have a 2011 on 37"s with 4,88-1 gears and the 3.6 out performs the 3.8 by far. Having said that the wife bought me a RIPP supercharger for christmass. Let the fun begin.

Cheers
Grant

Top Bottom