How many of ya have done the axle tube sleve and axle gusset kits? I can imagine d

4x4Jesus

Caught the Bug
I had my front sleeved and gusseted at the same time I lifted it. Even running 35s I still bent it.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Umm, lots of folks. Gussets are worth it for sure but, sleeves aren't as necessary to do. I've done it on one of my old JK's but didn't bother with my new 2012. Better off getting new chromoly shafts with full circle clips.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I had my front sleeved and gusseted at the same time I lifted it. Even running 35s I still bent it.

Yup ^^^ Why I don't bother to do more than I need anymore. Better off to just play with what you got and save up for a ProRock 44.

Mustafa

No way if im savin were doing the 60!! doing it right the first time saves money in the end. We learned that with the race truck

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Mustafa

Well then Hd balljoints. ?? Who's hold up better?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

sc_rhino

Is getting a prorock44 and swapping the elocker from the rubicon the way to go or go the arb route? I'm under the assumption that there are two prorock44 versions.

FrankenJeeper

Is getting a prorock44 and swapping the elocker from the rubicon the way to go or go the arb route? I'm under the assumption that there are two prorock44 versions.

I believe there are 2 PR44 versions, one for the Rubi locker and one for standard D44 carriers and lockers.

From my understanding the Rubi lockers don't hold up well with larger tires, so my opinion is if you're playing hard enough to want to upgrade to a PR44 go ahead and get a new locker such as ARB.

Sent from my Z796C using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well then Hd balljoints. ?? Who's hold up better?

Without question, the Dynatrac ProSteers will be the last set of ball joints you will ever need to get. Totally worth it to me but, they are pricey. Crown HD, Synergy and Alloy USA are all the same joint and will be better than factory but are far from a ProSteer. If you go this route, of the 3, I would recommend the Crown HD as they are typically more affordable.

Going ARB with 35 spline shafts is the better way to go if you can afford it. Swapping the elocker and reusing the internals from your factory Rubicon axle will save you money but, they won't be as strong.

liljohn850

Not to hijack the thread, but what about a truss? Trussing and gussetts seems to be the common fix til you upgrade shafts, sleeve it and do ball joints.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Not to hijack the thread, but what about a truss? Trussing and gussetts seems to be the common fix til you upgrade shafts, sleeve it and do ball joints.

I don't know if I would say there's anything common about trussing an axle. Sure, there are some who think that will make their Dana 44 housing with Dana 30 tubes and end forgings as strong as a 60 but, I wouldn't waste my time with one. I have seen more BENT axles due to a truss being installed than not and this is regardless of how experienced your welder is or how much time you take to install it. There are very few people that I know who can do it right and even at that, it's a best guess at best. But, that's just me. I personally can't see myself throwing any more money into a factory axle housing that is needed. For me, I don't see why you couldn't just play with what you got for as long as you can or until you can afford to replace it with ProRock 44.

liljohn850

I don't know if I would say there's anything common about trussing an axle. Sure, there are some who think that will make their Dana 44 housing with Dana 30 tubes and end forgings as strong as a 60 but, I wouldn't waste my time with one. I have seen more BENT axles due to a truss being installed than not and this is regardless of how experienced your welder is or how much time you take to install it. There are very few people that I know who can do it right and even at that, it's a best guess at best. But, that's just me. I personally can't see myself throwing any more money into a factory axle housing that is needed. For me, I don't see why you couldn't just play with what you got for as long as you can or until you can afford to replace it with ProRock 44.

This is why we ask questions^^ Makes sense, really. Time to gussett and rock out this horrible gearing and save for a new axle, and rear locker, re-gear and shafts. I hope my ball joints last a littttlllleee bit longer.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
This is why we ask questions^^ Makes sense, really. Time to gussett and rock out this horrible gearing and save for a new axle, and rear locker, re-gear and shafts. I hope my ball joints last a littttlllleee bit longer.

My front axle on my 2012 lasted about 2 years and 60,000 miles of me beating on it before it became bent enough to cause gear oil to leak from the seal. While I could have pushed it along further, I had had enough saved by then for a ProRock 44 Unlimited and so I decided to upgrade.

dahreno

Banned
I guess it doesn't surprise my that they have not improved the front axle in all this time . When Chrysler shows up in Moab every year it seems the Jeeps they bring with them mostly have some thing other then their own d44.You might think they could improve the front axles a little so maybe they won't bend so easy.Mine is bent and I'm not putting a penny into it like Eddie said. When it gets bad enough, pr44 for me!

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I guess it doesn't surprise my that they have not improved the front axle in all this time . When Chrysler shows up in Moab every year it seems the Jeeps they bring with them mostly have some thing other then their own d44.You might think they could improve the front axles a little so maybe they won't bend so easy.Mine is bent and I'm not putting a penny into it like Eddie said. When it gets bad enough, pr44 for me!

Why the change of heart? Back in March you blasted me for saying sleeves were a waste of money and that NR4x4 was misleading customers by telling them they were crazy for not installing sleeves.

I take 4 jeep mags. a month . they all talk about bent axle tubes on the d44 front axle , and have seen then many times . OK , you say , It's only a magazine .My front d44 on my rubi is now bent and I run 35 " tires . I wish someone like Northridge would have talked me into sleeving my axles , It would have been alot cheaper then axle housing replacement . So , now , I am left with the dilemma of buying a stock housing gusset and sleeve it then doing the swap and swapping over my internals , or doing a Dynatrac and swapping everything over .Either way , it will be expensive .Your friend will not be happy with you when he bends his axle . It sound to me like you are the one who doesn't know what you are talking about and that Northridge was right on the money . You owe Northridge an apology.

David1tontj

I just feel bad for my brother who thought he was beefing up his axle with sleeves and gussets, and ended up bending his housing anyway... Only running 35s and never even hammered on it... I use to think that the sleeves and gussets made a bulletproof housing... Now I have seen that they bend no matter what!!

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

I'm looking into getting a front 44 and building it with sleeves, gussets, ARB locker, new shafts, etc... And the price to build up a factory 44 seems to be the cost of a pro rock 44 with equivalent options... Might as well save a little more money for a pro rock

Thanks,
Sean

Top Bottom