Can you 'spare' a moment?

VictoryUSA

Just back from the tire shop where my 7033's will be arriving soon. They checked the tread depth in my DT 265's which I got early fall, said they can give me full refund on them, paying only the regular difference on 285's. Planning on getting the Teraflex leveling kit and found a shop where a guy says he is very familiar with that and can install it easily... (and quickly which wouldn't be the case if I attempted it!) When I was younger every time I got a new car (late 70's to mid 80's models) the first thing I did was shim it up and but the largest tires and sharp wheels on it I could. That isn't stylish anymore, but at the time, we use to have a 'mini' dream cruise nearly right outside my front door. Cars of all sorts, some race cars, souped up cars, muscle cars, they would come from all around our county... It was so much fun back in the early 90's. I woke up last night and thought, I lifted those cars and invested in wheels and tires. and that wasn't even for usefulness sake. Now I have a Jeep and I made no allowances to lift it? So that's when I looked into upgrading the tires, and was pleased with how helpful they were. The question now being... should I get the fifth wheel as well or just leave the 265 on the back as spare, hoping I won't need it, and only rotating 4. when you guys are wheeling, is it common to slice or blow tires needing that spare??? Is the stock spare carrier able to support the heavier weight of a 285?

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Just back from the tire shop where my 7033's will be arriving soon. They checked the tread depth in my DT 265's which I got early fall, said they can give me full refund on them, paying only the regular difference on 285's. Planning on getting the Teraflex leveling kit and found a shop where a guy says he is very familiar with that and can install it easily... (and quickly which wouldn't be the case if I attempted it!) When I was younger every time I got a new car (late 70's to mid 80's models) the first thing I did was shim it up and but the largest tires and sharp wheels on it I could. That isn't stylish anymore, but at the time, we use to have a 'mini' dream cruise nearly right outside my front door. Cars of all sorts, some race cars, souped up cars, muscle cars, they would come from all around our county... It was so much fun back in the early 90's. I woke up last night and thought, I lifted those cars and invested in wheels and tires. and that wasn't even for usefulness sake. Now I have a Jeep and I made no allowances to lift it? So that's when I looked into upgrading the tires, and was pleased with how helpful they were. The question now being... should I get the fifth wheel as well or just leave the 265 on the back as spare, hoping I won't need it, and only rotating 4. when you guys are wheeling, is it common to slice or blow tires needing that spare??? Is the stock spare carrier able to support the heavier weight of a 285?

The stock carrier will have no problems supporting a 285 provided the wheel is installed correctly and the tire is snug against the rubber bumpers on the gate. If it is not snug and the tire is allowed to wobble, failure of the spot welds on the gate is possible.

Personally, I only carry full-size spares. If you travel far to get to your wheeling spot, I suggest doing the same. As for blown tires...it can certainly happen. You can also unseat a bead. By DT I assume you mean Duractrac. I love those tires and ran them on my JKUR. They are great in the snow, but their sidewall is far from bulletproof. Personal opinion here, but I'd get a full-size spare.

BigBoy

According to my 2014 owners manual, the rear tire carrier is rated for 69 lbs. many have run larger tires without problem but follow the guidelines above

I agree with the full size spare idea, but 5 so you don't have to worry.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
285/70R17 with Daystar tailgate bump stops. Had it on there a year with 0 issues. You will have no problems as long as you run longer bumpstops. I agree with Sharkey, full size spares only for me.

IMG_0645.jpg
IMG_0644.jpg
IMG_0332.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom