Soft riding 2-2.5" Springs and soft shocks upgrade??

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
As some of you know, I am awaiting delivery of a 2014 JKU. I have a TF spacer leveling kit and 33s from my 2 door that will go on the JKU immediately. In a few months, I am looking to upgrade to some 2-2.5 inch lift springs and upgrade shocks (looking for the softest, most comfortable ride). I want to stay at 2-2.5” so that I can retain stock control arms, driveshafts, track bars, etc. Does anybody have recommendations based on experience with what would be a soft riding 2-2.5” spring and shock to go with?

A bit of info about the rig; it is a 2014 JKU sport with soft top, half doors, and I plan on mostly lighter weight mods such as EVO rear bumper fascia with D rings mounts, lightweight stubby front bumper, Evo sliders etc as opposed to heavy full length stuff, so not sure if ‘sag’ should be a concern. I have 33 inch tires, but plan on moving up to a 35 inch tire with trimmed flares in about a year. The most weight I will have in the back is the spare, a littlepassangerseats jump seat with child, and some luggage when traveling.
I am looking for a soft ride (mostly rough pavement, desert and moderate trails). The most I will do is Moab and Rubicon trails, and neither of those very often. Not looking to do KOH or anything like that. I will run front swaybar discos to get that benefit while off road.

I have seen 2 inch synergy (progressive), JKS Jspec, OME medium duty, and Eibach. For 2.5 inch I have seen Rubicon Express and Skyjacker ‘softride’. From what I understand TF and RK are very stiff, so not considering those. I would also consider the Evo leveling kit or Rancho 2 inch sport kit if I could find a rear 2 inch coil to match them up to (they both come with front 2 inch coil only)?? For shocks I am considering Rancho 7000MT, OME nitrocharger, or?? Any suggestion or advice based on experience would be greatly appreciated. I would love to do plush rides, but I do not want to swap out all of the components required anytime in the near future.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks in advance!!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Honestly, you'll be hard pressed to find a softer coil in that range that stock and, as you know, the only way you can use them is to install a set of coil spacers. EVO does make a leveling kit that utilizes new front coils but, I think it'll only get you up about 1.5"-2". You'll need to contact them to verify this. I have ridden in their JK that has them installed and thought the ride was very comfortable and, as you may know, I really do prefer a soft ride. Otherwise, the OME light duty coils will be a decent option as well. As far as shocks go, I personally have run both the Rancho 7000's and OME's and would prefer the 7000's especially if paired with a soft coil. Of course, ride quality is subjective and I can only give you my take of things.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
Thanks Eddie, I appreciate the input and value your opinion greatly. Of the two people I have talked to on this forum who have run the EVO leveling kit, both have said they gained about 1.5 inches of lift in the front on their JKU. I'm going to do some Rancho 7000 shocks for sure, as they seem like the best option for me. What I may do is drive it for a few months with the stock springs and see how I like them, considering the Unlimited is going to ride smoother than my 2 door. If I still need softer, than OME may be the route I go. Thanks again Eddie!

jeffd

Rock Krawler has a new triple 1.5" coil spring. Maybe add 3/4" spacers on top of the those. I have been thinking about going that route. I had 1.5" teraflex performance coils on my 13 jku and they rode very smooth but sagged pretty fast.

hydrohut

Hi, I'm intending to go the way of OME light duty 2" coils. Eddie has mentioned them in another thread and what he said made sense. I have been thinking that with such a small lift I might get away with using the original factory shocks. Am i right or wrong? Eddies or anyone else's opinions would be appreciated. Has anyone done this or similar and kept the original shocks?
My off roading is not extreme.

JKbrick

I did the JSPEC coil lift, synergy lower front shock spacers and rock star skids in the rear. I threw a 1/2" spacer on top of the front coils while I was doing the lift. It rides like it did before the lift. Mine is a 2 door rubicon if it matters, the stock shocks seem fine for now but I haven't gotten to wheel it yet

FireWire79

There is also the Rancho 2" Sport kit, which comes with new front springs and spacers all the way around to level it out. It also comes with rancho 9000s, and all for a fairly reasonable price.

hydrohut

I did the JSPEC coil lift, synergy lower front shock spacers and rock star skids in the rear. I threw a 1/2" spacer on top of the front coils while I was doing the lift. It rides like it did before the lift. Mine is a 2 door rubicon if it matters, the stock shocks seem fine for now but I haven't gotten to wheel it yet
I checked that kit out. It looks good. The front shock brackets and rear skids look well made. More food for thought...
Here in New Zealand any type of coil spacer is a no go (illegal) and basically any lift over a couple of inches requires a certification process that can be costly and complicated.
You guys in the states appear to have it a little easier when it comes to lifts and other mods.

FireWire79

Some states up here have the no spacer rule as well. I think if the spacers are small, and don't really affect any of the stock safety features, the inspector may look the other way. Spacers are used in the stock configuration, so this is just a modification of the stock configuration. Or, take them off when its time for inspection, and then put them back on. :whew:

There are a few 2" kits out there wiht no spacers in them, and just provide shocks and springs. Some are really well put together and some are not. I'm pretty sure everyone on here will have an opinion on which kits are the "best" but as far as the Rancho 2" sport kit goes, I think it is the most bang for your buck that you can get right now. The 4 shocks together cost more than the kit, so its a great deal.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
There is also the Rancho 2" Sport kit, which comes with new front springs and spacers all the way around to level it out. It also comes with rancho 9000s, and all for a fairly reasonable price.

I was checking out the Rancho it. The 9000 shocks are nice.

What about the EVO 3" Plush Ride Coils?...but you might need the draglink flip kit. Driveshaft? Not sure anybody know?

hydrohut

Some states up here have the no spacer rule as well. I think if the spacers are small, and don't really affect any of the stock safety features, the inspector may look the other way. Spacers are used in the stock configuration, so this is just a modification of the stock configuration. Or, take them off when its time for inspection, and then put them back on. :whew:

There are a few 2" kits out there wiht no spacers in them, and just provide shocks and springs. Some are really well put together and some are not. I'm pretty sure everyone on here will have an opinion on which kits are the "best" but as far as the Rancho 2" sport kit goes, I think it is the most bang for your buck that you can get right now. The 4 shocks together cost more than the kit, so its a great deal.

Yes I hear what your saying regarding just taking the spacers out at testing time if need be. And I agree the Rancho kit looks like truly good value. The more you look the more there is to think about...

JKbrick

I checked that kit out. It looks good. The front shock brackets and rear skids look well made. More food for thought...
Here in New Zealand any type of coil spacer is a no go (illegal) and basically any lift over a couple of inches requires a certification process that can be costly and complicated.
You guys in the states appear to have it a little easier when it comes to lifts and other mods.

The spacers were just me trying to plan ahead for a bumper winch combo, I figured that could weigh up to 200lbs maybe. The 1/2" spacer is up above the stock isolator and nobody would ever see it.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I was checking out the Rancho it. The 9000 shocks are nice.

What about the EVO 3" Plush Ride Coils?...but you might need the draglink flip kit. Driveshaft? Not sure anybody know?

The 9000s are very nice shocks, but are not monotube, which the 7000s are. If you are a casual wheeler the 9000s will fit the bill nicely. If you play on the rocks the 7000s are probably a better choice. I run 9000s set on 3 all around.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
The 9000s are very nice shocks, but are not monotube, which the 7000s are. If you are a casual wheeler the 9000s will fit the bill nicely. If you play on the rocks the 7000s are probably a better choice. I run 9000s set on 3 all around.

This was my concern with the Rancho kit to begin with, Id like to go with a monotube. I am looking for a soft comfortable ride quality and enough room to fit 35s next year with trimmed fenders. I've been pricing out a lot of different options. The Rancho kit is a great deal, but I would prefer the 7000s over the 9000s. There are several routes I could go with OME springs and Rancho or Fox shocks and a la carte whatever else I may need. I've also been eyeballing the JSPEC springs, but have really not found anything about ride quality. I would like to end up with a soft comfortable suspension at around 2-2.5" of lift and then I'm not touching it again until I can do coilovers. I may just run spacers on the stock coils until I can find a better solution and just pick up a really good set of shocks. The only two springs I have read nothing but good things about for ride quality are the OME springs and EVO plush rides (too tall for my application). I've also read some pretty good things about the Fox 2.0 and Rancho 7000s, so narrowing it down!

I had the Pro-Comp 2.5 inch lift and it was a stuff ride. If you are looking for a softer mor car like ride may I recommend the EVO plush ride coils. I put them
On my 2011 JKU and love them. They are very nice. Took the JKU off-road this past weekend and drove some fire roads and noticed a big difference. The EVO Enforcer kit comes in 3 and 4 inch springs. With the 3 inch coils I have 3 inches of lift with LoD bumper and sliders and a Waren Zeon winch.

R/
Will

Sent from my fRuit device using WAYALIFE mobile app

mtnbiker995

This is the lift that I have and I would consider it to be a very soft riding lift, especially if your have the RS9000xl's turned all the way down. I had mine on the lowest setting and it almost felt like I had my sway bar disconnected while driving at times. I normally run them at the 4 setting on the road and I am very happy with how they perform.

If you have a 2 door with this system you will net just over 3" of lift in the front and I would highly recommend installing synergy lower shock extensions if you plan on wheeling it otherwise you will very easily reach max shock extension.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
I had the Pro-Comp 2.5 inch lift and it was a stuff ride. If you are looking for a softer mor car like ride may I recommend the EVO plush ride coils. I put them
On my 2011 JKU and love them. They are very nice. Took the JKU off-road this past weekend and drove some fire roads and noticed a big difference. The EVO Enforcer kit comes in 3 and 4 inch springs. With the 3 inch coils I have 3 inches of lift with LoD bumper and sliders and a Waren Zeon winch.

R/
Will

Sent from my fRuit device using WAYALIFE mobile app

I would love to do the plush ride 3" coils, as I have heard nothing but good things. I do feel, however, that they will be to tall for my application. I will be running pretty light on the JKU with a soft top and half doors. The only weight I will be adding is sliders, a front stubby bumper (PS Brawler lite w/brawler bar or similar) and a rear jump seat in the cargo area. The rear bumper will be EVO D rings and that's it. Maybe a winch later on. I am afraid with the 3" plush rides I will see more than 3" of lift, and I want to avoid having to change driveshafts, control arms, etc. I think some 2" or 2.5" springs and some good shocks might be the solution for me. From what I understand anything more than 2.5" and I would need to change out the DS and front lower control arms for caster.
What size tires are you running with your 3" plush rides?

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
This is the lift that I have and I would consider it to be a very soft riding lift, especially if your have the RS9000xl's turned all the way down. I had mine on the lowest setting and it almost felt like I had my sway bar disconnected while driving at times. I normally run them at the 4 setting on the road and I am very happy with how they perform.

If you have a 2 door with this system you will net just over 3" of lift in the front and I would highly recommend installing synergy lower shock extensions if you plan on wheeling it otherwise you will very easily reach max shock extension.

Thanks for the info. Whatever lift I decide on, it will be going on a 2014 JKU. I have heard good things about the Rancho 2" sport system, but I would prefer to run a monotube. If I could get it without the shocks, that might be a solution for me too. I wonder how close to 2" this kit would actually yield on a JKU with a PSC Brawler lite ft bumper, rock sliders, heavier spare and an added jump seat in the rear. Anybody have a similar setup?

Top Bottom