Truck-Lites

JKRandall

For those that are running "Truck-Lites" do you have any issues with the x/y artifact that people talk about? Getting ready to purchase these and any info would be appreciated.

nvglockster

If you're talking about the "xy" image projected by the lights, I guess that's what I am seeing. I just installed mine last week, and I think I'm going to swap left and right today to see if it helps. I'm also going to adjust the lights up a little this evening. If it does not go away, I guess I'll be contacting Truck Lite. They put out a lot of light for sure, but if there is no fix for this, I'm going to be very disappointed, considering the price.

SDG

Caught the Bug
Do I have any issue?

Nope, its there and doesnt bother me at all. I believe its caused by the way they have the reflectors done, there is a minor hot spot where the light from different reflecors meet? Never gave it much thought and doesnt bother me enough to mess with fine tuning the aim.

Although the lights are 'expensive' they are cheap compared to the next best thing which in my opinion would be the JW speaker lights which are $400 each.

jeffd

I have had mine for over a year now and going on 23000 miles (same set on two different jeeps). Take the time to set the horizontal adjustment as it makes all the difference in the world. It is a pain to set but well worth it. Vertical adjustment of course is easy as you have a torx screw to adjust but the horizontal adjustment requires some finesse and I used electrical tape to shim them in place. Also use dielectric grease on the connections. I live in Montana and have been in all kinds of winter conditions with them and on Thursday I had them ice up for the first time where they barely emitted any light. The conditions were just right I guess and they totally iced over to the point that they were useless. I was one of the people who said that I had never had this problem in the snow but now I have :)

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
If you're talking about the "xy" image projected by the lights, I guess that's what I am seeing. I just installed mine last week, and I think I'm going to swap left and right today to see if it helps. I'm also going to adjust the lights up a little this evening. If it does not go away, I guess I'll be contacting Truck Lite. They put out a lot of light for sure, but if there is no fix for this, I'm going to be very disappointed, considering the price.

Don't waste your time. There is no right and left. They are symmetrical. The X artifact is an LED headlight standard because the LED is a square and the light is round. It's part of the package.

JKRandall

Don't waste your time. There is no right and left. They are symmetrical. The X artifact is an LED headlight standard because the LED is a square and the light is round. It's part of the package.

Thanks for this information, l do appreciate it. Over all l still believe the pro's outweigh the con's.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Thanks for this information, l do appreciate it. Over all l still believe the pro's outweigh the con's.

They are a lot better than stock...its just some people are really bothered by the XX pattern. Its still a lot better than not being able to see at night. :D

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
I do think that it helps to aim them down slightly from where the stock headlights are aimed. Not that I get flashed or think the hot spot will go away, just that the stock headlights are aimed a little higher than necessary when upgrading to these brighter units. Aiming down helps to focus the light immediately ahead where you'll need it.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Install is super easy, and I beleive you can add an adjustment screw in where there isnt one to be able to aim them out if that makes sense. I know I saw someone do it before. I only notice the x pattern against a wall.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I do think that it helps to aim them down slightly from where the stock headlights are aimed. Not that I get flashed or think the hot spot will go away, just that the stock headlights are aimed a little higher than necessary when upgrading to these brighter units. Aiming down helps to focus the light immediately ahead where you'll need it.

Here is the proper way to aim headlights...

(Copied and pasted my own response from another thread on another forum)

1) park your jeep where your headlight is 20' away from a wall on level ground.
2) measure (at the jeep) the height of the center point (bulb) of the headlight to the floor. Record measurement.
3) go to the wall with your headlights on, and mark out the same height from step 2 but subtract 2". Make a tape line.
4) adjust headlights to hit that tape line.

Done.

Your original headlight aim is irrelevant. Same goes for lifted vehicles, the original center point on the wall is irrelevant.

A little graphic so people understand why the method most commonly used and circulated on the net is incorrect.

Since the trucklites don't have a super sharp cutoff like my HIDs for instance...

20131225_181202.jpg

use the hottest part of the beam as your gauge, maybe 1/2" above the hottest part even

20131104_212344.jpg

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
i think this link explains it for me. but i haven't fiddled with taking out headlight on the tj yet and all. does the mounting hardware change/matter? and does it come with any type of conversion kit as far as wiring or anything in case previous stuff is not well built to handle these babies?

http://www.4wd.com/Jeep-Lighting-Je...out&ppcfon=1&gclid=CLbdwJnY-7sCFaTm7AodfUYATg

I don't know 100%, some hopefully someone can correct me, but I believe that the TJ has 7" rounds, has no canbus, and has an H4 socket, so if anything, it should be even easier on a TJ. On Qtec, they seem to be a different model though...

http://www.quadratec.com/products/97009_8001.htm

But the regular 7" round light says it fits...

Fits These Vehicles
55-83 Jeep CJ-5
76-86 Jeep CJ-7
81-85 Jeep CJ-8
97-06 Jeep Wrangler (TJ)
07-14 Jeep Wrangler 2-Door (JK)
07-14 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4-Door (JK)

enjoylife

they have them for tj's on north ridge 4x4. helped me out and they go for 389 as a pair on their site :rock:
northride 4x4 hasn't let me down yet with pricing or customer service! all the hardware come with the truck lite system

JKRandall

Install is super easy, and I beleive you can add an adjustment screw in where there isnt one to be able to aim them out if that makes sense. I know I saw someone do it before. I only notice the x pattern against a wall.

Thanks so much for your input:thumb:

Top Bottom