Axle upgrade

TJ KID

Picked up a 14 bolt rear end for the jeep. 5 hours of grinding and cutting. Some for some Artec Industries truss and brackets
Sent from my SPH-L720 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Attachments

• 1389570377796.jpg
    1389570377796.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 393
  • 1389570393287.jpg
    1389570393287.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 392

kgw350

I just finished stripping my sterling 10.5. Just waiting on parts to come in. What are you running for the front?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

David1tontj

I just finished stripping my sterling 10.5. Just waiting on parts to come in. What are you running for the front?

So you're going with an 8x160mm lug pattern? FYI I believe most of the internal parts are interchangeable with the 10.25, and the 10.25 parts should be cheaper.

Be sure to post up pics of your progress!

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

David1tontj

Picked up a 14 bolt rear end for the jeep. 5 hours of grinding and cutting. Some for some Artec Industries truss and brackets

You must not have a plasma! 5 hours??!! My neighbor would've been pissed with that much grinding!! Keep posting pics of the progress!

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

kgw350

So you're going with an 8x160mm lug pattern? FYI I believe most of the internal parts are interchangeable with the 10.25, and the 10.25 parts should be cheaper.

Yes from my understanding it's all the same and prices are the same as well. I will be running 8x170 lug pattern. Blue torch fab is taking 4 weeks for truss diff cover and still has not shipped.

Be sure to post up pics of your progress!

TJ KID

Doing a 60 out of a 78 79 ford. It's the Ford kingpin

TJ KID

You must not have a plasma! 5 hours??!! My neighbor would've been pissed with that much grinding!! Keep posting pics of the progress!

Halfway through i was wishing i did. I went through 10 cutoff wheels.

TJ KID

this is awesome.

What is your plan for wheel speed sensors?

What he said.. no sensors man.. 50 bucks for the axle. 250 for brakes. 200 for elderado calipers for e brake system, superior gears, detroit locker, tom woods driveline artec truss and brackets, ruff stuff offset brake bracket. Than some 17x8 8 lug wheels with nitto trail grapplers

Sent from my SM-T217S using WAYALIFE mobile app

David1tontj

Yeah I guess It is 8x170mm. All I remember is that it is certainly NOT 8x6.5. Stupid ford! At least with your route it seemed like there was a lot of different wheel options on craigslist from all the lifted super duty guys.. It seemed like every time I found a set of eight lug wheels on cl, they were super duty!

TJ KID

Yeah I guess It is 8x170mm. All I remember is that it is certainly NOT 8x6.5. Stupid ford! At least with your route it seemed like there was a lot of different wheel options on craigslist from all the lifted super duty guys.. It seemed like every time I found a set of eight lug wheels on cl, they were super duty!

I go on ksl.com. they have tons of wheel tires and jeep components

TJ KID

I noticed you did custom axles also. What vehicle did you get your front end from.? You doing a hydraulic ram for steering?

David1tontj

I noticed you did custom axles also. What vehicle did you get your front end from.? You doing a hydraulic ram for steering?

93 f350. It's a ball joint high pinion 60, but so are the pro rocks, and I am happy with it.. The width was just about perfect for what I wanted. The newer super duty axles were a bit wider than I was looking for. And the rear 10.25, though not quite as strong as a 14 bolt, are nearly as strong, and when compared side by side, they actually compare very closely, and have a little more ground clearance.. The 14 bolt is certainly more sought after, but I had the 10.25, and I guess I can't complain too much about my giant rear end, at least it's stronger than a 60.

TJ KID

93 f350. It's a ball joint high pinion 60, but so are the pro rocks, and I am happy with it.. The width was just about perfect for what I wanted. The newer super duty axles were a bit wider than I was looking for. And the rear 10.25, though not quite as strong as a 14 bolt, are nearly as strong, and when compared side by side, they actually compare very closely, and have a little more ground clearance.. The 14 bolt is certainly more sought after, but I had the 10.25, and I guess I can't complain too much about my giant rear end, at least it's stronger than a 60.

That is true. What width are you running? I think stock is 60.5", I think. With my 14 bolt dually axle it will be 63. Was looking at offset wheels to push it in.

David1tontj

That is true. What width are you running? I think stock is 60.5", I think. With my 14 bolt dually axle it will be 63. Was looking at offset wheels to push it in.

I don't remember what my wms to wms was.. Probably around 69". I was gonna do hummer wheels to make it narrower, but the hubs stuck out like crazy... 3-3/4 back spacing proved to work about right.. My hubs are inside the rim by about an inch. I still scrape them on everything, but it works.

TJ KID

1 axle done

Attachments

• 1390013096519.jpg
    1390013096519.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 98

David1tontj

1 axle done

Dude.... That is sweet! "anything worth building is worth overbuilding"

What size tires are you going to run?

Top Bottom