First post and trip to Death Valley 2014

tatonka56

Howdy all,
This is my first post here at WayALife after a few years on JK-Forum, thought I'd make the plunge :thankyou: My wife and I are planning a trip down to Death Valley around April before it gets too deathly hot and wondered if anyone has been (wheeled / camped) there recently? I've been looking for some specific posts here, but saw nothing in particular.

If anyone knows some good trails, sights, campgrounds, etc. please share. All input welcome!

Conman

Howdy all,
This is my first post here at WayALife after a few years on JK-Forum, thought I'd make the plunge :thankyou: My wife and I are planning a trip down to Death Valley around April before it gets too deathly hot and wondered if anyone has been (wheeled / camped) there recently? I've been looking for some specific posts here, but saw nothing in particular.

If anyone knows some good trails, sights, campgrounds, etc. please share. All input welcome!

We do a trip every year. In fact we will be running trails beginning of March. Lots of history and neat things to see. I don't have time now but I will post up some trails and places that are worth your time later this evening.

rubicrawl

We do a trip every year. In fact we will be running trails beginning of March. Lots of history and neat things to see. I don't have time now but I will post up some trails and places that are worth your time later this evening.

Do you usually post your trip I wouldn't mind joining you I've always wanted to cruise around Death Valley

SaddleTramp

If you don't mind, I'd love to join a few other Waylifers out there too as well if you've got room for one more to tag along, been wanting to get out there and explore around too. We'd be coming from the Vegas side, let me know once you have a date in mind!

lrgbas

Death Valley trip

New guy here also, the wife and I are heading out to DV feb. 1st-3rd. if anybodys around there we will be running Titus canyon on Sun. and maybe the raceway Sunday afternoon, we will be staying at Stovepipe motel

HDGasser

Actually getting the Heep ready to head to DV this Friday-Tuesday. Kinda last minute but your more than welcome to come!

Go about 8-9 other rigs going, staying at furnace creek resort.

If your interested I'll send you a link to our mapped out routes and POI's

ChuckMRN

Just got back! We did Pleasant Canyon Saturday. Left the house at 6A, home at 9P after dinner in Ridgecrest. Got my DV fix for a while..

Lined up in the bottoms

ry%3D400

Clair Camp

ry%3D400

Butte Valley from on high

ry%3D400

Cloud formation over the Sierras to the West

ry%3D400

tatonka56

This is awesome, exactly what I'm looking for...we would love to meet some folks, esp Jeepers who know the area...need to get to a real computer to go over some details.

Sent from my HTC One using WAYALIFE

Rharvey160

Just got back! We did Pleasant Canyon Saturday. Left the house at 6A, home at 9P after dinner in Ridgecrest. Got my DV fix for a while..

Nice pictures, thanks for sharing.

Do you know if the road from Trona is open all the way to Wildrose? My wife and I are planning a trip the first week of April. We plan to do Pleasant Canyon and Warm Spring Canyon and as much else as we can.

We have only been to Death Valley once in September in the wife's car so stayed on the main roads.

Will the roads up in the higher elevations be clear of snow by then? (April)

Sorry for all the questions.

lrgbas

death valley

No it's closed,
i read somewhere else that the road is closed because parts were washed out. I'm not sure which blog I read it on, lots of info at this link on other stuff. We are heading that way on Feb 1st -3rd.

http://www.nps.gov/deva/index.htm

Last edited:

Smokinjoe

Yes the road is still closed from Trona to Death Valley it's closed at Ballerat BUT you can take Nadeau Rd. just north of hwy it will take you to Hwy 190 it is a trail with lot of wash out damage also. I was in Death Valley Christmas Day and returned to Ridgecrest taking Nadeau Rd in the dark and took Two hours to get back to HWY. It's choppy with lots of rocks and at night we lost our way twice it was fun but seemed like a long two hours.

sj

Last edited:

Rharvey160

Yes the road is still closed from Trona to Death Valley it's closed at Ballerat BUT you can take Nadeau Rd. just north of hwy it will take you to Hwy 190 it is a trail with lot of wash out damage also. I was in Death Valley Christmas Day and returned to Ridgecrest taking Nadeau Rd in the dark and took Two hours to get back to HWY. It's choppy with lots of rocks and at night we lost our way twice it was fun but seemed like a long two hours.

sj

Thanks for the info. Really looking forward to our DV trip in April.

HDGasser

Be prepared, take lots of water and as many spares as you can. Death Valley is notorious for eating tires up. 5 outta the 8 people with us on our trip had 2 spares. One guy used both.

April is gonna be warm thru there.

HDGasser

Ohh!! And if you are going with a group of people and are NOT going to be leading I would recommend taking and extra air filter or 2.

You wouldn't believe how much dirt my poor Heep ate that week. :(

Top Bottom