Add remote start to your auto JK for $99

14Sport

Living in FL I'm good. But if you come across a good power lock product in your travels, I'll be all over that. :thumb:

liljohn850

Hey guys, I just came across this today, and thought that some guys would love to have a cheap remote start solution...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Plug-Play-A...ts=Model:Wrangler&hash=item258740ffff&vxp=mtr

Disclaimer...I have nothing to do with the seller, etc. This is just for those guys looking for an inexpensive solution to that they don't freeze in the morning. :D

....so tempting. I wanna hear a success story first

Sent from my pocket sized telecommunications and computing device.

*NOMAD*

Unfortunately this is somewhat right. Being a car install guy myself for Futureshop in Edmonton, there is a harness that is plug and play. The worst part of it is is that it's not gonna cost you $99. First you need the harness (about $50 cdn) then you need a bypass (that little black box he has anywhere between $100-150) and then it has to be programmed which in most shops they charge you $50. After that if you don't buy the actual remote starter the range of your key fob is about 30ft. My remote starter has about a 5000ft range. Doesn't really seem that worth it?? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Unfortunately this is somewhat right. Being a car install guy myself for Futureshop in Edmonton, there is a harness that is plug and play. The worst part of it is is that it's not gonna cost you $99. First you need the harness (about $50 cdn) then you need a bypass (that little black box he has anywhere between $100-150) and then it has to be programmed which in most shops they charge you $50. After that if you don't buy the actual remote starter the range of your key fob is about 30ft. My remote starter has about a 5000ft range. Doesn't really seem that worth it?? Lol

Sorry, but this is not correct.

#1, your remote starter doesn't have a 5000ft range, not a chance. Maybe if you were in a field in Kansas, you can reach 1000', and even that I wouldn't bet on it (compustar has some of the best ranges that I have seen, and it isn't close to 5000'.)

#2 The OEM key with a good battery will do AT LEAST a football field if not obstructed. I have remote started my Jeep from the top of a building in Manhattan (66th floor with the OEM key.)

#3 The kit posted is all you need. The programming is done by you. The kit comes with the wiring and the black box, so Im not sure what you are talking about.

Last edited:

*NOMAD*

The Compustar pro is actually what I have and yes on a clear day it will do 5000ft (or cloudy your choice) and realistically I highly doubt from the 66th floor you can even unlock your vehicle. But that's cool I don't do it every day or anything and yes programming is done by you but you need to put firmware on the bypass from a site that requires you to have a paid login membership. (Highly unlikely that most have this) and if something happens to go wrong? Which it does from time to time we charge more to "undo" things than to do it right in the first place. With that said I'm not trying to start an argument I just think getting it done right the first time is better than winging it.

Army_Vet

Banned
The Compustar pro is actually what I have and yes on a clear day it will do 5000ft (or cloudy your choice) and realistically I highly doubt from the 66th floor you can even unlock your vehicle. But that's cool I don't do it every day or anything and yes programming is done by you but you need to put firmware on the bypass from a site that requires you to have a paid login membership. (Highly unlikely that most have this) and if something happens to go wrong? Which it does from time to time we charge more to "undo" things than to do it right in the first place. With that said I'm not trying to start an argument I just think getting it done right the first time is better than winging it.

Just an outside opinion since im not interested in any of this but; it reads as if you are

bl17z90

#2 The OEM key with a good battery will do AT LEAST a football field if not obstructed. I have remote started my Jeep from the top of a building in Manhattan (66th floor with the OEM key.)

My battery in my remote must have never been good because sometimes I can't even use it in my house :thinking:

JKWrang

The OP is offering info on a cheap(ish) solution for a do it yourselfers. That is all

Sent via secret squirrel underground network.

pastorwug

Now if there was a way to turn on the seat heater for my wife as well - I'd be a buyer - she loves the seat heater, even on not-so-cold days.

Jeepmaverick

Now if there was a way to turn on the seat heater for my wife as well - I'd be a buyer - she loves the seat heater, even on not-so-cold days.

If you left the seat heater in the on position when you turned the jeep off and you installed the remote start wouldn't it turn on when you start the jeep? Just thinking...that's what happens in my sisters Acura.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug

5000ft is the better part of a mile. Why on earth would ANYONE want to remote start their jeep at 1 mile away (even if they could?) Seems ridiculous to me. I started mine off the 66th floor from a balcony, with direct line of sight of the jeep parked below. The only reason I did it was because someone asked me "how far does that remote start reach" and I said "we'll find out."

As for doing it right....this isn't a Honda or a Toyota which require 1000 wires to install a compustar system. I have installed lots of compustars in my day, so I am familiar with them. The remore start sequencing and programming is in the ECU of the JK itself, NOT in the remote start module, so it's an extremely primitive piece on a JK. All it does is basically authenticate the signal, and trips the ignition circuit. The turning the fan on full blast, 15 minute timeout, low fuel disable, etc, is all in the ECU on a JK. All JKs are "remote start ready" they just need to have their ignition circuit tripped, and yes, that includes the manuals, but the manuals require a lot of extra steps to get to work (you must do a sequence of things when you shut the jeep OFF so that remote start will turn on when you try it, and this is everytime.) There are no moving parts in these units, so there isn't much to go wrong. They are as simple as an SD card.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
If you left the seat heater in the on position when you turned the jeep off and you installed the remote start wouldn't it turn on when you start the jeep? Just thinking...that's what happens in my sisters Acura.

No, and it sucks. The seat heaters reset when the Jeep is turned off. :(

Top Bottom