Dual Battery or just 1 good deep cycle battery

Trembley

Hey guys,

I'm looking to start working on my electrical system, install my winch, my power management system and some other electronic goodies i.e. inverter etc. Plus I frequently travel with a fridge which at some point I am sure I will upgrade to an ARB unit. I am in the process of weighing the pro's and cons of a dual battery system and would like to hear some opinions. Is it really necessary? Can I upgrade one at a time if I decide to go to a dual system. Basically buy 1 Odyssey group 34 now and one later.....can you actually get a group 34 in a 13 JK? Might be simple questions for some, but I would appreciate some feedback.

Cheers

mcpuck

Caught the Bug
When you are running as much extra electrical stuff as we are, I believe it is best to run a dual battery system. I run dual Platinum Die Hards.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm looking to start working on my electrical system, install my winch, my power management system and some other electronic goodies i.e. inverter etc. Plus I frequently travel with a fridge which at some point I am sure I will upgrade to an ARB unit. I am in the process of weighing the pro's and cons of a dual battery system and would like to hear some opinions. Is it really necessary?

Necessary? No. You can get by with just 1 good deep cycle battery. Something nice to have? Absolutely. If you can afford it or fit it, I would.

Can I upgrade one at a time if I decide to go to a dual system. Basically buy 1 Odyssey group 34 now and one later.....can you actually get a group 34 in a 13 JK? Might be simple questions for some, but I would appreciate some feedback.

No, you cannot. You need to run a group 48. You can see a write-up I did for it here:

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?...-Series-Battery-for-2012-Up-Jeep-JK-Wranglers

Also, pretty much all the dual battery trays I've seen on 2012-up do not allow you to use 2 batteries of the same size.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I agree with McPuck. Dual batteries are the way to go. It's not just about load, it's about redundancy and having the ability to make it out even if you lose a battery.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Necessary? No. You can get by with just 1 good deep cycle battery. Something nice to have? Absolutely. If you can afford it or fit it, I would.

No, you cannot. You need to run a group 48. You can see a write-up I did for it here:

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?...-Series-Battery-for-2012-Up-Jeep-JK-Wranglers

Also, pretty much all the dual battery trays I've seen on 2012-up do not allow you to use 2 batteries of the same size.

I'm pretty sure the Genesis kit will run two group 34 batteries in a 2012+. I guess I could be wrong though. :thinking: I know one thing, the kit isn't inexpensive.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm pretty sure the Genesis kit will run two group 34 batteries in a 2012+. I guess I could be wrong though. :thinking: I know one thing, the kit isn't inexpensive.

You are correct. Totally forgot about the Genesis kit and yes, it is pretty pricey.

jkjurny

You are correct. Totally forgot about the Genesis kit and yes, it is pretty pricey.

It does look like a great kit. Until another vendor comes out with some competition, Genesis has no incentive if dropping the price. And, I don't consider people building their own as true competition.

Toxic

I had to go with dual Optima's I know nothing like the Odyssey batteries, but it was the only one's I could find that would fit. I used the M.O.R.E. Dual Battery Tray for 12-14 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK, and a red top and yellow top Optima's.
20130717_175717 (960x1280).jpg 20130717_211640 (1280x960).jpg

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Im looking to get the genesis kit sometime in the near future, I have yet to come across a better designed dual system for the JK. While the price may be steep at first glance, their tray is engineered to a stupid level of obsessiveness and thought, and their smart isolator is very clever. Once you factor in the cost of the tray, the isolator, and the wiring and terminal, the price isn't that crazy after all. It is also bar none the cleanest system out there.

JKFlyer

What do U guys suggest as the best system for a 2010?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

MTG

Caught the Bug
Im looking to get the genesis kit sometime in the near future, I have yet to come across a better designed dual system for the JK. While the price may be steep at first glance, their tray is engineered to a stupid level of obsessiveness and thought, and their smart isolator is very clever. Once you factor in the cost of the tray, the isolator, and the wiring and terminal, the price isn't that crazy after all. It is also bar none the cleanest system out there.

^^ I tend to agree with you. It's a well-thought out and practical system.

Just checked it out. That is pretty nice. I like how good their instruction sheet was too. A couple of idiots could probably manage to get that installed. :yup:

jkjurny

Just checked it out. That is pretty nice. I like how good their instruction sheet was too. A couple of idiots could probably manage to get that installed. :yup:

The extra thought on the harness clips and the mounting clips for the fuse box really does show the thought they put into this.

Trembley

It looks like a great product and absolutely right up the do it yourselfer's alley in my opinion...again you have sticker shock...I do like how clean it is. I will be giving it strong consideration!

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
It looks like a great product and absolutely right up the do it yourselfer's alley in my opinion...again you have sticker shock...I do like how clean it is. I will be giving it strong consideration!

Considering other companies are charging $100+ for just a tray (and not one nearly as well designed) Id say the genesis kit is almost reasonable in price. A smart isolator or a smart charging system alone is around $200 and then you need the wire to hook it all up, the terminals, and the accessory terminal. It will probably cost you nearly the same money to assemble something like it and it won't be nearly as clean. I've been waiting for quite some time for a clean system and IMHO this is as good as it's gonna get.

Beyrgut

At the end of the day you're looking at just under 1k for the kit and two batteries. Is that cost justifiable to a single battery that can handle the load? I like the setup and it's in the running but damn that's a few other mods put on hold if I go that route.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
At the end of the day you're looking at just under 1k for the kit and two batteries. Is that cost justifiable to a single battery that can handle the load? I like the setup and it's in the running but damn that's a few other mods put on hold if I go that route.

For me personally, it's not about handling the load, it's about making sure you don't end up with a dead battery. I'm not looking at it as 1k because no matter what dual system you go with you need two batteries. If you just want a system that can handle the load, a quality deep cycle will handle it. For those looking to power things on an extended outing (camping lights, ARB fridge, etc) a dual system is the way to go. I'm ok with a single right now, but would feel more comfortable with a dual. Right now when I camp, I start the motor every 15 minutes or so to make sure there is enough juice left in the battery. I plan on hitting the maze district of canyonlands later in the year and would feel A LOT more comfortable with a dual setup. Btw, from what I understand, you can purchase the tray only from genesis if you want to run your own power management system like a luna.

Rebel JK

Another benefit of the dual setup is that you will be ready to go for a (24v) trailside welder. Im not quite there yet myself, but its on my long range plan for sure.

KPM171

That's a damn fine looking all in one solution. Looks much, much better than the MORE, Rugged Ridge, & Smittybilt kits. Welcome to my 'things to consider' list.

GenesisOffroadJeepJKDualBatteryKitCloseUp.jpg

Top Bottom