Looking to get a Bikini Top

FastZach

So here in Arizona, its bikini top weather!! Looking at couple different bikini tops and I had a couple questions. What is the difference between best tops safari style top and their header style top. The price difference is about $100. Also, if you guys have any different brands that work well let me know.. Mesh really isn't an option as it lets in to much sunlight during the warmer months. Any advice is greatly appreciated. I have a 2014 JKUR

Zach I live in Florida and found the sunscreen mesh covers are great. It allows for good air circulation and does not let in enough sun light to cause sun burns. Might look into one.

The other option I would recommend in the Trek NX top that you can convert to a bikini style top by removing the side and windows. It will serve both purposes but on the cost factor it is a bit more than probably want to spend.

R/
Will

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So here in Arizona, its bikini top weather!! Looking at couple different bikini tops and I had a couple questions. What is the difference between best tops safari style top and their header style top. The price difference is about $100. Also, if you guys have any different brands that work well let me know.. Mesh really isn't an option as it lets in to much sunlight during the warmer months. Any advice is greatly appreciated. I have a 2014 JKUR

It's been a while since I've bought a Safari Top but, if I recall, the later comes with a new header channel that allows you to simply clamp on the top to your existing footman loop. The regular top requires you to install a channel to connect the top to - drilling is required for this.

FireWire79

Safari Tops and Hard Tops

So, I currently have a hard top only, but as the weather gets nicer and spring comes in I would like to grab bikini style top, mainly in case of rain.

I was just wondering if I were to get a bikini style top, do i have to remove the header to the hard top back on? And if so, is this a PITA to do?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So, I currently have a hard top only, but as the weather gets nicer and spring comes in I would like to grab bikini style top, mainly in case of rain.

I was just wondering if I were to get a bikini style top, do i have to remove the header to the hard top back on? And if so, is this a PITA to do?

If you get the cheaper version where you have to drill and screw in a header channel, yes, you would need to remove it before you reinstall your hard top. If you get the more expensive header style one, you simply remove the top and go.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
It's actually quite easy to make a good bikini shade yourself. Most big box hardware stores (Home Depot, Lowe's, etc.) sell screen roll and metal grommet kits. The roll is the perfect width for the Jeep, just cut it to the desired length, add grommets and bungies, and you are done. You can buy heavy duty pet screen (that's what I did) or UV block screen. It worked well for keeping out the heat of the sun and mild rain. Yeah, it wasn't as nice as a Dirty Dog or something similar, but it also only cost me about $50 total.

MTG

Caught the Bug
What good timing. I was thinking about picking up one of these for the spring. Mainly worried about rain. I normally keep my softtop on (and down) but I would prefer a bikini top that I can leave on and not worry about running out to my jeep if it rains. I have a dirty dog mesh shade that I like to run when there is no chance of rain.

I was looking at the Bestop version with the header. Anyone have any experience with it or pictures?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What good timing. I was thinking about picking up one of these for the spring. Mainly worried about rain. I normally keep my softtop on (and down) but I would prefer a bikini top that I can leave on and not worry about running out to my jeep if it rains. I have a dirty dog mesh shade that I like to run when there is no chance of rain.

I was looking at the Bestop version with the header. Anyone have any experience with it or pictures?

I have one but never use it anymore being that I now have a TrekTop NX. What I do like about them is that they roll up nice and small and can be easily stored behind the rear seat. Super convenient and easy to install/remove. What I don't like about it are the silly Velcro straps that hold it on to the roll bars. They work and will hold but, on the highway, it'll billow up. Not that big of a deal I suppose for what you do get but, I think it's worth noting. You can run it with the door surrounds and that'll give it a tighter fit but, I kind of think it defeats the purpose.

MTG

Caught the Bug
I have one but never use it anymore being that I now have a TrekTop NX. What I do like about them is that they roll up nice and small and can be easily stored behind the rear seat. Super convenient and easy to install/remove. What I don't like about it are the silly Velcro straps that hold it on to the roll bars. They work and will hold but, on the highway, it'll billow up. Not that big of a deal I suppose for what you do get but, I think it's worth noting. You can run it with the door surrounds and that'll give it a tighter fit but, I kind of think it defeats the purpose.

Thanks. I wonder if I could add some straps (or velcro) to the Rockhard center roll cage and keep it from flapping so much? :thinking:

Thought about the Trextop but can't see spending the money considering I have a perfectly good soft top.

Edit: yep...I'd like to skip the door surrounds as I plan to run my half doors as much as possible. :D

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks. I wonder if I could add some straps (or velcro) to the Rockhard center roll cage and keep it from flapping so much? :thinking:

I have given this some serious thought and if I didn't have my TrekTop NX, I think I would have added some additional straps to hold things down better.

TarheelVeteran

I'm interested in hearing a comparison (if there is one) between the TrekTop NX and the Rampage Bowless Sailtop...

I really like the idea of being able to store the removable windows in the top of the Rampage.. but I've not heard anything recently about the overall quality of the top versus the NX....

Any thoughts are appreciated.. I have a hardtop now and will be using the Rampage/NX during the summer months exclusively...

Top Bottom