Oat coolant?

BBG

My jeep is drinking the hell out of this coolant where besides the dealer can I purchase this stuff from?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using WAYALIFE mobile app

MTG

Caught the Bug
^ Agreed. The reservoir tank on my 2012 has been close to dry before, but with the little I've added I wouldn't call it drinking the stuff.

How much are you going through?

Moochie

What's happening to the coolant? Have you had it back to the dealership to have it looked at?

BBG

Going in the morning. ...........I haven't put any in since I bought it. I've just been monitoring it, I'm on my second oil change and looked at it again and it's down at the min line. ..........

TheDuff

Well the minimum line of the overflow while cold doesn't mean there is a problem. The overflow will get filled or siphoned from by the cooling system based on coolant temp and vacuum. I'm not an expert, but I believe that when the coolant begins to get up to operating temp, some will get pushed into the the overflow as the system is pressurized. And as it cools down after driving some will get sucked back in. I know that if you overfill it, it will just get pushed out the over flow cap. So, try driving or idling till at operating temp and see what is in the bottle. Look around for leaks while it's running, if it's leaking and being burnt off by the heat of the engine components, you should be able to smell it.

Sent from my LG-D800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

BBG

Now that I thinking of it I did have that water pump issue. ...... Where it was making that whinny noise. Took it to the dealer and they fixed it maybe they did something funky to it and there's a zip tie around my over flow container definitely going to the dealer in the morning.

BBG

Because maybe someone else may have some insight on it overlanderjk that's why.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well the minimum line of the overflow while cold doesn't mean there is a problem. The overflow will get filled or siphoned from by the cooling system based on coolant temp and vacuum. I'm not an expert, but I believe that when the coolant begins to get up to operating temp, some will get pushed into the the overflow as the system is pressurized. And as it cools down after driving some will get sucked back in. I know that if you overfill it, it will just get pushed out the over flow cap. So, try driving or idling till at operating temp and see what is in the bottle. Look around for leaks while it's running, if it's leaking and being burnt off by the heat of the engine components, you should be able to smell it.

Sent from my LG-D800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

^^^^ This right here. What you see on your overflow bottle isn't necessarily an indication that you are going through coolant. IF you really think you are, you really should have your dealer give it a look especially if you've had work done on your water pump.

rdreng

The dealer recently flushed the coolant system on my 2013 JKU to remove some of the casting sand present. After the work was performed, there was still a small amount of air trapped in the cooling system (as evidenced by the "water fall sound" coming from the heater core behind the dash). This entrapped air worked its way out over a several week period. The coolant level in the expansion tank went from the "minimum" line to almost nothing left in the tank. I refilled it to the "minimum" line and everything has been OK since.

This possibly could be your situation too; especially if it only happened once after the work was performed on your water pump. Just another line of thought here,,,,

Just throwing my low coolant experience out there....

My '13 made the water swooshing noise in the cab from day one. Over time the bubble bled itself out and when I noticed the noise was gone I checked the reservoir and it was low as I expected. The dealer topped it off and away I went.

Maybe all you had was some trapped air in the system and the bubble finally made its way out.

Top Bottom