Outer axle tube seals worth it?

jeeeep

Hooked
Just received Ten Factory front axle shafts and am planning a weekend of front end updates.

Before I install them, are axle tube seals worth installing?

4x4Jesus

Caught the Bug
If you are referring to the inner axle seals it isn't normal to have to replace them when installing or changing axle shafts. If you are referring to a seal at the end of the tube like those found on the EVO magnum sleeves it goes either way. While they do keep water and debris out of your axle tube they also can hide a leaking inner seal that normally would be very apparent.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just received Ten Factory front axle shafts and am planning a weekend of front end updates.

Before I install them, are axle tube seals worth installing?

"Worth"? I don't know - probably not. I've run them on my TJ and on my 2007 JK in the past but haven't bothered to install them on any of my other Jeeps. You'll be fine without them.

jeeeep

Hooked
thanks all - I have 90k miles and am replacing ball joints, upgrading axle shafts - may go ahead and replace hubs while I have everything apart.

Just looking at other things to consider while I have it apart.

mgmavant

So here's a question that kind of goes along with this thread - would it be worth it to put the outer seals on if you knew you had a minor inner seal leak? The dealer messed up one of the inner seals on my front axel after they replaced an u-joint (that's a long painful story, but not here) and now I'm debating what to do about it. The dealer has already agreed to replace the seal, but to be honest, I'm worried that if they do that they will mess up something else - like my gears and/or locker. I didn't even want them to replace the u-joint but they claimed that they HAD to for me to retain my lifetime powertrain warranty. So anyway, knowing that you have a minor leak, would an outer seal make sense to keep crap out of the differential so long as you kept adding oil in? The leak seems pretty minor and I only can see minor splatters on the fender liner once in a while - no drips on the driveway or anything like that.

JK12

So here's a question that kind of goes along with this thread - would it be worth it to put the outer seals on if you knew you had a minor inner seal leak? The dealer messed up one of the inner seals on my front axel after they replaced an u-joint (that's a long painful story, but not here) and now I'm debating what to do about it. The dealer has already agreed to replace the seal, but to be honest, I'm worried that if they do that they will mess up something else - like my gears and/or locker. I didn't even want them to replace the u-joint but they claimed that they HAD to for me to retain my lifetime powertrain warranty. So anyway, knowing that you have a minor leak, would an outer seal make sense to keep crap out of the differential so long as you kept adding oil in? The leak seems pretty minor and I only can see minor splatters on the fender liner once in a while - no drips on the driveway or anything like that.

You can do it yourself. I did it and it's not hard at all. Just gotta make sure you keep track of what goes where and you're golden. It's a fairly easy fix and should be taken care of in my opinion

mgmavant

Thanks for the feedback. I was thinking about doing it myself, but its a bit too cold to tackle that job right now, and I'm still a bit nervous about messing something up. I've done all the mods to my Jeep myself except the gear change, so I certainly don't mind doing my own wrenching (and actually prefer it over someone else doing it). Are there any special tools needed to pull everything put and put back in - like a spreader or anything else?

Sent from my MB860 using WAYALIFE mobile app

JK12

Thanks for the feedback. I was thinking about doing it myself, but its a bit too cold to tackle that job right now, and I'm still a bit nervous about messing something up. I've done all the mods to my Jeep myself except the gear change, so I certainly don't mind doing my own wrenching (and actually prefer it over someone else doing it). Are there any special tools needed to pull everything put and put back in - like a spreader or anything else?

Sent from my MB860 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Nope no special tool needed. Using tools that are made for the job? Yes. It's fairly easy you'll need two pry bars to get the carrier out. You'll need a metal pipe that can fit inside the seal so you can hammer in the seal but it has to be long enough to go through the axle tubes and a thin wall socket to get the bearing cap bolts out. And a rubber mallet to hammer it back in without damage. Also you'll need to find something that will fit the lip of that seal so you don't damage the rubber. I used a piece from my ball joint press. That's one way the other way I believe they make a seal press but it runs around $80-$100

84jeeper

Outer Axle Seals

I have an axle seal leaking on my front axle. While shopping for seals, I was shown a set of greasable outer seals that install on the ends of the axle tube near the steering knuckles. I could see where this might be beneficial in that it would keep debris out of the tubes. If I understood the service guy right, he said these would take the place of the inner seals near the diff. Has anyone had experience with outer seals?

mattamd_xp

Outer axle seals don't take the place of the inner seals. The outer seals are simply to keep crap out of the tubes, the inner seals keep the gear oil in the diff. Replacing the inner seals is definitely a pain, but outer seals don't fix the problem caused by leaking inner seals.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Outer axle seals don't take the place of the inner seals. The outer seals are simply to keep crap out of the tubes, the inner seals keep the gear oil in the diff. Replacing the inner seals is definitely a pain, but outer seals don't fix the problem caused by leaking inner seals.

What he said ^^

If you have a leak, you need to have the inner seal replaced. The outer seal is unnecessary to have.

Having said that, a common cause of an inner axle seal leak is from your axle housing being bent. It may be time to start looking to upgrade.

jims68

Have you just done service on the axle? If you overfill them they will leak also and or push oil even out the vent tube! When I changed gears the mechanic that did the job filled the axle to the bottom of the fill hole. Most wrangler covers do not work this way. You need to measure the fluid and put in the recommended amount otherwise you have a mess!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Have you just done service on the axle? If you overfill them they will leak also and or push oil even out the vent tube! When I changed gears the mechanic that did the job filled the axle to the bottom of the fill hole. Most wrangler covers do not work this way. You need to measure the fluid and put in the recommended amount otherwise you have a mess!

An overfilled axle will puke gear oil out the breather tube but should NOT leak out the seal as well. If the seal is leaking, it is bad.

jims68

Well then Eddie mine self healed! The pumpkin will pressurize some after the gear oil heats up and under normal circumstances there is enough room for this to happen. Now if you overfill the seals are not rated for much if any pressure on them so they will leak by some. Now reason I say this all my seal are new and after said overfill I had a mess! After turning my C's and putting in RCV's I still had extra gear oil coming out over the bearing and seals and my tubes were full up to the grease able dust seals. I had previous to this took out at least a pint. So being stubborn I waited to drain the pumpkin till making a mess on both sides! I drained it after getting gear oil in my hair and low and behold still more then recommended! Put in 2008 jeep Sahara Unlimited dana 30 1.3 quarts and no dust seals and wala! No more leaks! Just saying I would have been very angry if after replacing the seals and refilling to just over the threads like most people have been taught and it still leaked! It is not my bowl of cherries to replace those seals and oil slingers on top of if you have turned your axle that also changes the amount it will hold!
Just a little FYI on your 6l80 don't overfill it either! Keep it at the middle of the dip stick or with time you will burn it up! There have been reports of as little as 1 quart high causing severe damage to them so at half way should be a good safety margin.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well then Eddie mine self healed! The pumpkin will pressurize some after the gear oil heats up and under normal circumstances there is enough room for this to happen. Now if you overfill the seals are not rated for much if any pressure on them so they will leak by some.

You'll forgive me but the whole point of a breather tube is to allow venting of the differential. In other words, there is NO pressure build up or, at least, not unless your breather is pinched, clogged or blocked in some manner.

Now reason I say this all my seal are new and after said overfill I had a mess! After turning my C's and putting in RCV's I still had extra gear oil coming out over the bearing and seals and my tubes were full up to the grease able dust seals.

"grease able dust seals"? Do you mean you have aftermarket outer axle seals installed?

Put in 2008 jeep Sahara Unlimited dana 30 1.3 quarts and no dust seals and wala! No more leaks!

You lost me here. What kind of axle did you start off with and are you saying you put in a factory Dana 30, filled it up to the recommend amount and it didn't leak? Is that supposed to be a surprise? :thinking:

Just saying I would have been very angry if after replacing the seals and refilling to just over the threads like most people have been taught and it still leaked!

But, it happens all the time and typically because the axle housing is bent. Depending on how big of a tire you're running, how hard you run it and for how long, it happens. But hey, what do I know.

jims68

Yes Eddie that is one of its purposes so it does not pressurize and not allow water in. But if you overfill you can get a higher pressure then what is normal because you have a big man in little suite trying to get out! Small hole and thick oil.
Yes aftermarket dust seals.
Yes stock axle 1.35 qt. recommended. I probably had two plus in mine! Again big man in a little suite!
I just asked him if he serviced it since he did not state that hence the question! Not trying to inflame you prostate but since when does everyone bend there axles? Maybe you should ask him that also along with did he just service his front axle! It could be that simple or that major! Just trying to help the guy!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yes Eddie that is one of its purposes so it does not pressurize

No, that is its primary purpose.

...and not allow water in.

What? You'll forgive me but that is just really bad information. The breather does not exist to prevent water from coming in - the tube is extended as high as it does to prevent water from coming in but that is not the same thing.

But if you overfill you can get a higher pressure then what is normal because you have a big man in little suite trying to get out! Small hole and thick oil.

I can't count how many times I've been on trip where a lot of highway miles were involved and had someone spraying out gear oil out their breather tube because they just bought a new aftermarket diff cover and filled it up to the fill hole - easily 3 quarts. Almost every single time I have seen this, there was no gear oil coming out the axle seals. The only time I have seen it leak from the seals is if they were bad or if the axle housing were bent.

Yes aftermarket dust seals.

In other words, you could of had gear oil leak into your axle tubes during the install of your RCV's and then in the process of driving around, it leaked out of outer seals. Once everything worked itself out, you had no more leaks. OR, you still have a bad inner seals but now that you are running the correct amount of gear oil, the outer seals you have are enough to keep what leaks out, in.

Yes stock axle 1.35 qt. recommended. I probably had two plus in mine! Again big man in a little suite!

Makes no difference if so long as your breather tube is unobstructed.

I just asked him if he serviced it since he did not state that hence the question!

You'll forgive me but, you only asked that so that you could tell him, "if you overfill them they will leak also and or push oil even out the vent tube!"

Not trying to inflame you prostate but since when does everyone bend there axles?

Not trying to inflame you but, do you ever wheel your Jeep?

Maybe you should ask him that also along with did he just service his front axle! It could be that simple or that major! Just trying to help the guy!

Just because you don't like what I'm saying to you doesn't mean I'm not trying to help the OP by trying to correct the inaccurate information you are posting.

jkmitch

Dana 30 axle sleeves and alloy usa axle tube seals??

I have a 2010 sport jk with the dana 30. Aussie locker, 5.13s, sleeves, truss, and gussets. I keep having a leak out of the short side axle tube. I replaced the seal twice. Will the Alloy Usa Axle tube seals help this issue? And will they work with my Nitro Sleeves? Thanks in advance!!!! 👍👍👍 This is a temporary thing while I save up for the PR44

Top Bottom