Garage door opener mod

texasdave

Ok, lets see em'. Since I will have a house with a garage in about 3 weeks, I need to see where everyone puts their controller, or is this to much to ask and I should figure it out on my own????:crazyeyes:

pastorwug

Got mine clipped to my visor - nothing so high-tech - but I'm also interested in what people have figured out.

Been looking at the rear view mirrors that other Chrysler vehicles have that incorporate garage door openers, I've heard they are an easy retro-fit and lots available on the internet and Ebay.
All they need is a power supply to the rear view mirror, some come with other tidbits as well - compass, interior temp, etc.

pvanweelden

my opener has a small remote, I tuck it inside the rollcage padding, hidden, so only I know where the button is :D I would post a pic, but that would defeat my hidden intent :cheesy:

trailless

Caught the Bug
In the padding of the roll cage right above my left shoulder. I'm thinking about taking the clip off so that it'll fit in there better. I've also heard of people putting the remote in a vip-lock bag before hand so that it's water proof.

texasdave

Where can I find a vip-lock bag??? LOL. Really good idea, I love running with the doors and top down. Getting caught in a quick storm wouldn't be good for the remote I'm sure.

texasdave

I've even seen a few phone apps…..lol. Not sure what kind they have installed in the new house, but It will be extremely cool just having a garage!!! :yup::thumb::rock::clap2:

liljohn850

I'll take a pic of mine when I head to work. I just took the opener apart, found the button on the circuit card and soldered on some wires, ran the wire from where I was going to put the push button to where I mounted the garage door opener up on the dash. It seriously took 30 minutes and no one knows what that button on my dash does.

Sent from my pocket sized telecommunications and computing device.

texasdave

Awesome. I've been looking for a reason to buy a soldering iron. I figured someone had posted something like this before, just not sure where to look. Thanks for that! Maybe I can integrate something into a factory switch on the dash or something?

Brankz

Try this I love it
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1390523394.719836.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1390523402.823511.jpg
:honey:

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1390523402.823511.jpg
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1390523402.823511.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 170

David1tontj

my opener has a small remote, I tuck it inside the rollcage padding, hidden, so only I know where the button is :D I would post a pic, but that would defeat my hidden intent :cheesy:

The secret is already out! But that is a great idea..

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

David1tontj

I'll take a pic of mine when I head to work. I just took the opener apart, found the button on the circuit card and soldered on some wires, ran the wire from where I was going to put the push button to where I mounted the garage door opener up on the dash. It seriously took 30 minutes and no one knows what that button on my dash does.

I might have to try this! Several times while wheeling my remote has flown off my visor.. I'm lucky I haven't lost it yet!

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

liljohn850

I might have to try this! Several times while wheeling my remote has flown off my visor.. I'm lucky I haven't lost it yet!

It's pretty nifty. And i think it looks clean.

texasdave

Once I figure out what my controllers will look like I will determine the best location/mod for me. Really great work!! Why I haven't purchased a soldering iron before this I don't know, since I have owned several guitars and like to change out the pickups and such.

liljohn850

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1390538727.385186.jpg See that button by that vent? That's my garage door opener.

liljohn850

You do this yourself? Do you have any additional pictures (how you wired the button to the garage door opener)?

I didn't take any. But all it consists of is the internals of the opener, enough speaker wire (it's thin and worked), a push button from RadioShack (not a position button, but one that springs up and doesn't "click") some time and a little bit of soldering know how. I looked at the opener, saw the 4 posts the button on the opener was mounted on and figured out by trial and error which 2 posts sent the signal and soldered the wire there. I taped it up pretty good and mounted it under the dash as far up and forward as I could get to the windshield and then ran the wire neatly to where I was going to mount the button. Picked a spot that had nothing behind it on the fascia and drilled a hole. Slid the button in place and then wired the button pigtails to the speaker wire. It's super easy once you look and see what you're working with. I wish I would have taken a little more time and used one of the button next to the traction control and all. But oh well.

Top Bottom