dana 30 inner seals. opinions?

zack.colo

Installing some sleeves.

One of my inner seals is blown, might as well replace both while i'm in there.

Does anybody have anything positive to say about a particular brand? Any brands that i should stay away from?

JKbrick

We removed the whole ring gear carrier and both seals to do mine, had to clean everything out from making the holes in the tubes to weld the sleeves to. Changed the seals since it was all taken apart. Installed mopar factory replacement seals. Did all that before I read on here that sleeves don't even keep your axle from bending at the middle, which makes sense I noticed when we installed them they stopped short of the housing when flush with the outside ends

zack.colo

Shafts are going to be pulled because of the sleeve installation.
I don't NEED to get into the diff right now, but one inner seal is already blown.
If i take the ring and pinion out to replace the bad one, might as well replace them both.
Plus when i am cleaning out the axle tubes i won't be pushing everything down into the tube to the inner seal, i will push everything into my empty differential which is an easier clean up.

JKbrick

I had read how hard they can be to get inserted into the tubes so I threw mine in my freezer for a couple days and they pushed right in by hand. Maybe I just got lucky, not sure

mtnbiker995

I had read how hard they can be to get inserted into the tubes so I threw mine in my freezer for a couple days and they pushed right in by hand. Maybe I just got lucky, not sure

That's genius I've never thought of throwing something like that in the freezer before. . .I'll have to remember that one for the future :thumb:

JK12

Shafts are going to be pulled because of the sleeve installation.
I don't NEED to get into the diff right now, but one inner seal is already blown.
If i take the ring and pinion out to replace the bad one, might as well replace them both.
Plus when i am cleaning out the axle tubes i won't be pushing everything down into the tube to the inner seal, i will push everything into my empty differential which is an easier clean up.

You just have to take out the ring gear and carrier not the pinion. And it will be a lot easier to replace the seals before you put the sleeves in because you need to hammer the seal out and with a sleeve it will be harder

zack.colo

You just have to take out the ring gear and carrier not the pinion. And it will be a lot easier to replace the seals before you put the sleeves in because you need to hammer the seal out and with a sleeve it will be harder

That makes sense. Thanks for the input.

DKronk42

We use liquid nitrogen where i work to shrink large shaft journals for installation into machinery so that makes perfect sense! Good thinking!

gtony12

Caught the Bug

.:thumb: I will have to remember this myself!

Last edited:

zack.colo

Lucky.
I don't have access to liquid nitrogen and its gonna dip into the single digits tonight.
I was planning on just warming the tubes up with a propane torch before the install.

One more question though.
I was reading around and I've read a couple people suggest lifting the FRAME of the jeep to let the axle hang free during installation. (This makes sense, the pressure of the weight of the front end on the axle could flex the tube a little, most likely at the pumpkin) but I don't have a way to lift the jeep from the frame. Lifting one side with a hi-lift and anticipating smacking the sleeves in seems a little sketchy.

Has anyone just lifted the front end using jack stands under the tubes on this install?

JKbrick

If you have a jack and stands jack it up as high as you can and put your jack stands under the frame by the LCA mounts and take off your tires and that should do it

Top Bottom