What's the biggest tire you can run on stock 17" wheels?

DownHillTurbo

I got my first Jeep for Christmas and am preparing to upgrade it with a 2-2.5" lift and 35" tires.

I'd love to run 35x12.5x17 tires on the stock rims so I don't have to spend even more money on rims too, but didn't think it was possible because the stock rim is only 7.5" wide.

I've been searching the Tires and Wheels forum and have found a few threads where people say they are running the 35x12.5x17 on stock wheels.

I thought the largest tire you could run on a stock wheel is 285/75R17 or 295/70R17 which, depending on the manufacturer is somewhere between a 33x11.5 to 34x12. (I realize that these measurements are real close to the 35x12.5)

And then I've heard about the poor man's bead lock....running a 35 on a 8" wide rim.

So....in your opinion, what is the biggest tire you can run on stock 17x7.5" wheels?

Thanks in advance for your opinions and advice.

ScottC

You can absolutely run a 35X12.5X17 on your stock rims. Several members run this setup, too. You will want to run at least a 1.5" spacer on your hub (SpiderTrax is a good brand) so you can avoid rubbing. I don't know if that is the biggest tire you can run on those rims, but I know it can be done.

FYI, this option is very high on my list of ways to save money so I can afford other mods.

DownHillTurbo

Sweet! That is great news. The 35x12.5x17 is pretty common so that opens up some more tires to consider. I've been leaning toward the Nitto Trail Grappler, but will now research others in this size.

I was planning on the spacers. Seems like everyone likes the Spidertrax. Good to know I need 1.5" spacers. Thanks for the heads up.

1BAMFR

Here's my Jeep when had 35's on it...stock wheels.

2012-06-14_08-50-35_565-1-1.jpg

bl17z90

How high is your lift? I've heard you can run 37s with a 3" lift if you are willing to run flat fenders and do some trimming. Is that true?

He has an LJ so its a little different than a JK.

I run 35's on my stock rims and it is working out fine.

StrizzyChris

How high is your lift? I've heard you can run 37s with a 3" lift if you are willing to run flat fenders and do some trimming. Is that true?

3" and quite a bit of trimming. 3.5" to 3.75" is about the lowest I PERSONALLY would go with 37's without doing major cutting.

Note: You can easily get away with 37's and 3" of lift with only minor trimming if you don't offroad or cycle your suspension.

DownHillTurbo

3" and quite a bit of trimming. 3.5" to 3.75" is about the lowest I PERSONALLY would go with 37's without doing major cutting.

Note: You can easily get away with 37's and 3" of lift with only minor trimming if you don't offroad or cycle your suspension.

Ah! Duly noted. Thank you. My dream would be to run 37s, but don't think I can afford all the modifications I would have to do to do it the right way.

onebuilder

My Discount Tire would not mount KM2 35x12.5-17 on my OEM Rubicon rims. Pissed me off! Especially after I just purchased spacers and did a AEV 3.5 lift. Oh well, I now have my Method Wheels and 35 KM2.

DownHillTurbo

My Discount Tire would not mount KM2 35x12.5-17 on my OEM Rubicon rims. Pissed me off! Especially after I just purchased spacers and did a AEV 3.5 lift. Oh well, I now have my Method Wheels and 35 KM2.

That brings up a good point, has anyone had problems with instalation of 35" tires on stock rims?

Top Bottom