3.8L injectors

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Are you feeling like you're having problems with yours? To answer your question, no, not that I know of but then, I never felt like mine had been giving me poor performance even after 6 years and over 100k miles.

Are you feeling like you're having problems with yours? To answer your question, no, not that I know of but then, I never felt like mine had been giving me poor performance even after 6 years and over 100k miles.

Not sure yet, Eddie. I'm still chasing my little gremlin and i'm pretty sure it's in the fuel system and just want to be prepared if I wind up changing the injectors.

We Are Jeep..Resistance Is Futile..

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure yet, Eddie. I'm still chasing my little gremlin and i'm pretty sure it's in the fuel system and just want to be prepared if I wind up changing the injectors.

What kind of gremlins?

I'm supposed to take it in Thursday ( and you know I'm going to be kicking and screaming the whole way), but the part that I'm most irritated about is that it has not thrown any codes for it, I even checked it with a reader and still doesnt show any. When it has stalled, it acts like it is getting too much fuel. When it has bogged down taking off from a stop, again acts like too much fuel. But yet it idles nice and smooth, no miss at all. I'm starting to lean towards a fuel regulator or injector(s).

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm supposed to take it in Thursday ( and you know I'm going to be kicking and screaming the whole way), but the part that I'm most irritated about is that it has not thrown any codes for it, I even checked it with a reader and still doesnt show any. When it has stalled, it acts like it is getting too much fuel. When it has bogged down taking off from a stop, again acts like too much fuel. But yet it idles nice and smooth, no miss at all. I'm starting to lean towards a fuel regulator or injector(s).

Well, as I believe I had mentioned before, a scan tool will show a TON more than a reader could ever hope to including real time information as your vehicle is running. In then hands of a tech who knows how to use one, it can do wonders to track down issues like this. If they were available for average joe's to buy, I would.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
Well, as I believe I had mentioned before, a scan tool will show a TON more than a reader could ever hope to including real time information as your vehicle is running. In then hands of a tech who knows how to use one, it can do wonders to track down issues like this. If they were available for average joe's to buy, I would.

The average joe can actually buy the scan tools most shops use aside from the manufacturer exclusives (GM, Ford, and Chrysler, etc.) . Just not sure how many average joe's are willing to pay the premium prices for them. You can get many hours of diagnostics done at a shop for the price you'd pay for a scan tool

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The average joe can actually buy the scan tools most shops use aside from the manufacturer exclusives (GM, Ford, and Chrysler, etc.) . Just not sure how many average joe's are willing to pay the premium prices for them. You can get many hours of diagnostics done at a shop for the price you'd pay for a scan tool

Right, but I want the manufacturer exclusive Chrysler scan tool. :D I am always blown away at the information you can get from it. Even if you could buy one, it is my understanding that you still have to subscribe to the service to keep it updated and that would cost way more than it'd be worth unless you were some kind of dealership or shop.

seanb123

Yeah agree my buddy has the snap on versus scanner that tells you all the things you need to know. Thing will blow your mind. If you can find someone with one of them and see what it can tell ya. Maybe one of the techs at the dealer may have one

JayKay

Caught the Bug
Right, but I want the manufacturer exclusive Chrysler scan tool. :D I am always blown away at the information you can get from it. Even if you could buy one, it is my understanding that you still have to subscribe to the service to keep it updated and that would cost way more than it'd be worth unless you were some kind of dealership or shop.

Yup. Every time a new model year comes out the tool has to be updated for a fee. The only way I'd ever buy one is if it was gonna pay for itself. There's really no reason for an average person to buy one for personal use unless your vehicle is a POS and you needed to use it every day or week. In that case I'd buy a different vehicle.

If you really wanted the Chrysler tool, you could check craigslist. We found the GM Tech 2 that we have on craigslist. A retired GM tech got fed up with the dealer he worked at only having one tool for 20 techs. Ours needed to be updated so we took it to the local GM dealer and paid them a couple hundred to update it.

Bad thing is you'd need the GM tool AND Chrysler tool for Moby now :)

Ridge knowing your jeep sits a lot since you are on the road for work have looked at the filters or an additive to clean the injectors?

JayKay

Caught the Bug
Might be an idea to check your catalytic converters. I had a GM truck that the cat plugged up on. Never did get a check engine light, but experienced a lack of power and bogging under load. With the amount of miles you have it's a possibility you could have a bad cat.

You could try unhooking the exhaust at the manifolds before the cats, drive it a short distance and see how it does

Might be an idea to check your catalytic converters. I had a GM truck that the cat plugged up on. Never did get a check engine light, but experienced a lack of power and bogging under load. With the amount of miles you have it's a possibility you could have a bad cat.

You could try unhooking the exhaust at the manifolds before the cats, drive it a short distance and see how it does

I have less than 50k on it. Tried the cleaner/additive route and it doesnt help. Would pull the exhaust but I'd be way too tempted to leave it off. Looks like I wont be able to get it into the dealer till Monday, but kicking and screaming I'll take it in.

toys4rocks

Very curious to hear what you find out. Mine is doing the same thing, no codes, and it is getting worse, had some rough idle a couple times at stop lights the other day, it was just for a couple seconds then cleaned up.

Top Bottom