Teraflex Big Brake Kit and Oversize Master Cyl.

pastorwug

I've been thinking about this since going to TOYO 37" tires and Method wheels.
Sure seems to take a bunch more room to stop now than it did before the upgrade in tire size.

Anyone else have these on their JK?
Those that do, they highly suggest replacing the 2011 Master Cylinder with their oversize one. Did you also do the MC upgrade?

I'm interested in all opinions.

I just bought my kit. Have not installed it yet. However everything I have read was make sure you do the master cylinder upgrade.

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
If the part about the Teraflex kit you like the most is the price (because honestly it's a good deal cheaper than other kits out there including calipers), then it might be worth looking to simply upgrade your rotors and pads. For about half the cost of this kit, you should be able to do the rotors/pad and get really close to the same braking performance from those AND keep your stock MC. That's just my :twocents:

If the part about the Teraflex kit you like the most is the price (because honestly it's a good deal cheaper than other kits out there including calipers), then it might be worth looking to simply upgrade your rotors and pads. For about half the cost of this kit, you should be able to do the rotors/pad and get really close to the same braking performance from those AND keep your stock MC. That's just my :twocents:

Rotors will make no difference if they do not increase in diameter. Upgrading the stock system with better pads like EBC yellow or green stuff helps a lot.

I have been over this in my head for a long time. I even looked into and found the brake kit from the euro jk. its larger than ours. you can buy all the parts here and have the rotors re drilled to 5x5 (they come 5x5.5 in europ). This is almost the same as the teraflex kit. One diff is that the teraflex kit is a twin piston and the euro is a single piston. The euro kit is around 400.00 with everything. The only reason I went with the teraflex is that I got a smoking deal on it. otherwise I would have gone with the euro kit.

pastorwug

Rotors will make no difference if they do not increase in diameter. Upgrading the stock system with better pads like EBC yellow or green stuff helps a lot.

I have been over this in my head for a long time. I even looked into and found the brake kit from the euro jk. its larger than ours. you can buy all the parts here and have the rotors re drilled to 5x5 (they come 5x5.5 in europ). This is almost the same as the teraflex kit. One diff is that the teraflex kit is a twin piston and the euro is a single piston. The euro kit is around 400.00 with everything. The only reason I went with the teraflex is that I got a smoking deal on it. otherwise I would have gone with the euro kit.

How do you buy the Euro Kit, from a Euro dealer?

HDGasser

I've got the TF big brake kit and MC and I think it stops great. I had to jump on em one time real hard to keep from getting run into a concrete pole and it was enough to make the 37's howl even with a Hemi.

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug

Well, I did say 'upgrade' didn't I? ;-) Rotors are mainly a heat sink though so thicker gets the same benefits. Anyway, to the OP's question, I'm sure you would feel enough benefit from these to say they're worth the money and peace of mind. There are better kits out there but they cost more money too. Just depends on what level you want to reach.

pastorwug

Yes, I was looking at the BBK they had at ORE and it was thousands $$$ but looked full race, probably was for a full-race set-up, but way out of my price range.

Mikes Offroad

I installed the kit on my 07 without the MC and I still noticed one heck of an improvement. Not sure if it matters but I changed the brake lines to extended SS ones.

JK's JK

Banned
I've been thinking about this since going to TOYO 37" tires and Method wheels.
Sure seems to take a bunch more room to stop now than it did before the upgrade in tire size.

Anyone else have these on their JK?
Those that do, they highly suggest replacing the 2011 Master Cylinder with their oversize one. Did you also do the MC upgrade?

I'm interested in all opinions.

I've been thinking of doing this upgrade as well but so many directions to take.......It seems that I can stop fine!! I drive on the defensive when in heavy traffic.

Your going to go with TOYO? I can say the NITTO mud or the other NITTO K spec the guys run look awesome. Just saying.

RanchoRubi

Caught the Bug
I went to TF upgrade after 37s and noticed big improvement. Get the master cylinder upgrade or you brakes will feel spongy.

pastorwug

Your going to go with TOYO? I can say the NITTO mud or the other NITTO K spec the guys run look awesome. Just saying.

The deal I found from JaySC here on WOL was too good to pass up with 5 Toyos in great shape on Method wheels, just a great deal. So yes, Toyos, and I do like them. But, they are heavy in 37s.
I can brake OK, but I had kind of a close call when pulling my trailer ( that doesn't have brakes).
So, looking into the TF BBK.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

JK's JK

Banned
The deal I found from JaySC here on WOL was too good to pass up with 5 Toyos in great shape on Method wheels, just a great deal. So yes, Toyos, and I do like them. But, they are heavy in 37s.
I can brake OK, but I had kind of a close call when pulling my trailer ( that doesn't have brakes).

Oh yeah, I'd be looking at a different braking package I was hauling a trailer as well. Glad to hear your safe and you where able to stop with enough room. I hate those close calls when the hair is stand up and you can feel your heart beat out of your chest. I've heard good things with the TF braking system.

Thats right. Now I remember about those Toyos you said you bought. I weighed a Nitto with the chrome rim on my rig and its 120lbs. That's heavy time 4.

pastorwug

Oh yeah, I'd be looking at a different braking package I was hauling a trailer as well. Glad to hear your safe and you where able to stop with enough room. I hate those close calls when the hair is stand up and you can feel your heart beat out of your chest. I've heard good things with the TF braking system.

Thats right. Now I remember about those Toyos you said you bought. I weighed a Nitto with the chrome rim on my rig and its 120lbs. That's heavy time 4.

I think I'll weigh my Toyos as well.

Bigfoot

I live in Germany and to my knowledge there is no such thing as a Euro rotor with a 5x5.5 pattern for the JK. The Euro JK has the same 5 lug hub as the US JK. That is 5x5.

However it is true that Euro JKs had bigger brakes since the introduction of the Pentastar in 2012 and since the tune of the Diesel I4 2.8L from 177 hp to 200 hp in 2011. These big brakes are known as the BR6 package and can be purchased in the US because they are used in a variety of other vehicles. One of them is the Jeep J8. You can find part numbers and more information on the BR6 package and possible other big brake setups here on the forum under My own JK 'Big Brake' research.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door

I may suggest you look into a brake system for your trailer as well. We have one for our boat and it makes a HUGE difference. We have disk brakes on all four trailer wheels.

Sent from my iPhone

DaK

Running the same tires as you felt the same way on several occasion trying to get the beast stopped. Had the Teraflex installed last month and have been enjoying it ever since. It is nice being able to stop those big, heavy toyos.

Highly recommend the kit.

tlminh

How come they don't make the brake kit for the rears?

If given the option, upgrading the front brakes are better?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using WAYALIFE mobile app

I live in Germany and to my knowledge there is no such thing as a Euro rotor with a 5x5.5 pattern for the JK. The Euro JK has the same 5 lug hub as the US JK. That is 5x5.

However it is true that Euro JKs had bigger brakes since the introduction of the Pentastar in 2012 and since the tune of the Diesel I4 2.8L from 177 hp to 200 hp in 2011. These big brakes are known as the BR6 package and can be purchased in the US because they are used in a variety of other vehicles. One of them is the Jeep J8. You can find part numbers and more information on the BR6 package and possible other big brake setups here on the forum under My own JK 'Big Brake' research.

I was the one that posted the BR6 parts list on that thread. When I go to order the rotors they only seem to come in the 5.5x5, this is also stated on other forums, that you have to get them re drilled to the 5x5. Interesting to know that you have the 5x5 over there with that kit. :brows:

Top Bottom