Sport or Rubicon?

DiggaDon

I've been considering purchasing a new(-er) jeep for a while now, I've consulted Eddie and now I'd like to throw the question to the general populace. I currently drive around a 2011 Sahara and am looking to upgrade to an unlimited of some sort.

My primary main reasons are space and engine size (2012+), my secondary reasons are that I believe they're aesthetically more appealing and that this is an opportunity to get a quick upgrade on things that I could possibly use on and off the trail (I.e. - lockers, heated seats, electronic sway bar discos) ...Herein lies the problem.

I'm not a vastly wealthy guy, in fact, the 'new' truck I'd be looking to get into would likely be a used 2012 or 2013. I could likely pull off a rubicon payment, but a sport would be more manageable. However, I hate the idea that I'd ONLY be upgrading for engine and space.

I've heard both sides: I can upgrade to lockers and gears later with the sport and it will ultimately result in better parts for the trails than a rubicon anyhow --OR -- if I can swing a rubicon, do it.

Here are my thoughts as to what I should do:

My initial reaction is that a rubicon would be better as it provides immediate satisfaction in the extras so I can go as I please on the trail in the upcoming wheeling season. It also helps me fend off the urge to immediately upgrade the parts (gear ratio, lockers) to a later point -- so that this non-vastly wealthy guy can save for a bit for those parts and upgrade at a more reasonable pace.

With a sport, I have that immediate desire/need to regear and install lockers -- money I don't currently have -- however when that money does come along, I won't be replacing expensive Rubicon parts. Side perk: An added bonus is that there tend to be a variety of color options here in the northeast at the sport level vs rubicons, which tend to be a majority of black (meh) or white (meh + 1).

It's worth noting I currently run 33's, but I've been disappointed in them and would like to go to 35's, possibly even 37's, which is a lot of money on its own -- but may be a determining factor

I KNOW some of you have been in this situation -- what direction do you suggest I go in?

#thatwaslong #AreHashtagsFrownedUpon? #TheEnd

Hack12

Every person is different, but from how you've described yourself, I think you may be happier with a Rubicon. In addition to your new Jeep, you will basically be financing a Dana 44 front axle, e-sway bar links, lockers, rock rails, & higher quality shocks without having to pay for any of them outright. That's a huge jump on guys like me that have Sahara's or Sport's. That being said, if those are all things you plan on upgrading at a later date then I would recommend you stick with a base model Sport and upgrade as fast as your finances allow. Either way, it will be new enough that you don't really need to rush into anything. You'll have it for years to come! Best of luck and be sure to let us know what you decide.

Last edited:

Tech

I could likely pull off a rubicon payment, but a sport would be more manageable.

I KNOW some of you have been in this situation -- what direction do you suggest I go in?

Go with the Sport. A car payment isn't something you want to have to "pull off" for 60 months in a row. A Sport is perfectly capable and the people who may say you "need" a Rubicon aren't going to bail you out of any payments when you get in a financial bind. If worse comes to worse, there's no shame in having to winch yourself a few more times over the course of the entire loan.

Just my opinion.

IBeHeWhoIsJoshua

If I could do it again I would have saved for another month or two and got a Rubicon. A good leveling kit and 35's and it's a badass rig.

If you decide to get a Sport, get the options you want. Be happy with it and do yourself a massive favor, be sure it doesn't have 3.21's!

Happy shoppin man!

My vote is for the Rubicon. You get a 4 to 1 transfer case, 4.10 gears with lockers, electronic disco, some armor and rails. You can trim the fenders and add a small lift for very little money and be running 35's with spacers right off the bat.

Camomal

I've been considering purchasing a new(-er) jeep for a while now, I've consulted Eddie and now I'd like to throw the question to the general populace. I currently drive around a 2011 Sahara and am looking to upgrade to an unlimited of some sort.

My primary main reasons are space and engine size (2012+), my secondary reasons are that I believe they're aesthetically more appealing and that this is an opportunity to get a quick upgrade on things that I could possibly use on and off the trail (I.e. - lockers, heated seats, electronic sway bar discos) ...Herein lies the problem.

I'm not a vastly wealthy guy, in fact, the 'new' truck I'd be looking to get into would likely be a used 2012 or 2013. I could likely pull off a rubicon payment, but a sport would be more manageable. However, I hate the idea that I'd ONLY be upgrading for engine and space.

I've heard both sides: I can upgrade to lockers and gears later with the sport and it will ultimately result in better parts for the trails than a rubicon anyhow --OR -- if I can swing a rubicon, do it.

My initial reaction is that a rubicon would be better as it provides immediate satisfaction in the extras so I can go as I please on the trail in the upcoming wheeling season. It also helps me fend off the urge to immediately upgrade the parts (gear ratio, lockers) to a later point -- so that this non-vastly wealthy guy can save for a bit for those parts and upgrade at a more reasonable pace.

With a sport, I have that immediate desire/need to regear and install lockers -- money I don't currently have -- however when that money does come along, I won't be replacing expensive Rubicon parts. Side perk: An added bonus is that there tend to be a variety of color options here in the northeast at the sport level vs rubicons, which tend to be a majority of black (meh) or white (meh + 1).

It's worth noting I currently run 33's, but I've been disappointed in them and would like to go to 35's, possibly even 37's, which is a lot of money on its own -- but may be a determining factor

I have been pondering this same subject and have been stalking thus forum fir a few months now. I haven't decided which is why I haven't gotten a jeep yet. My practical side says get the sport I don't need a Rubicon but my fun side says fuck it get the rubicon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeeeep

Hooked

I was in the same thought mode when I was looking in 2010 - after really thinking about it and adding up the costs of upgrades just to get to what the Rubicon already has (not just axles) and the extra I would have to begin saving to start doing upgrades, I decided the payment on a Rubicon was less than payment for Sahara + saving for upgrades.
It's true a Sahara will wheel fine but the difference IMO made the Rubicon worth the difference in price.
I actually saved for a full lift, gussets and 35" tires faster than I thought I would and ran with stock gears for 1.5 years after the lift with no complaints. I have since added some other mods and as I think back and look at how much my friend has spent on just his Sahara axles alone I think by getting the Rubicon it's saved me money and allowed me to get other upgrades for my Jeep. Now 90K miles later I'm planning for 37's and will look at axle upgrades since it's almost paid off! I thought about trading it in but I figured I can get axles and an LS swap for less than a new Jeep.
Just some additional thoughts - save where you can like the built in Nav system, leather, some of the other extras - look for things that can be easily eliminated from the price and found aftermarket for a lot less.
Whatever you decide it'll be plenty capable to wheel, just make that reality check so you can afford what you have and truly enjoy it :beer:

Last edited:

Army_Vet

Banned

Go with the Sport. A car payment isn't something you want to have to "pull off" for 60 months in a row. A Sport is perfectly capable and the people who may say you "need" a Rubicon aren't going to bail you out of any payments when you get in a financial bind. If worse comes to worse, there's no shame in having to winch yourself a few more times over the course of the entire loan.

Just my opinion.

"Tech" for your first post; this is some really good advice, now post up in the give us a wave section and introduce yourself. I like the way you think, and would kindly wave back.

"DiggaDon" I was in your same position, I didn't need a new jeep at all, but I wanted one. I had no car payment and a reliable car, this is what I did and I highly suggest you try it. The way it sounds, you're not in a "need ASAP" situation so I think this will work for you.
1. I got preapproved for an amount from my bank, with a letter in hand.
2. Found a model from the dealer site that was real close to it, but a lil bit over.
3. called the dealer(sales rep) about that specific model.

This is the important part
4.Go in and started the deal; telling them the whole time that you are not going over XXXX amount. This is important! Do not mislead them. Let them know right from the beginning what you are willing to pay; and like any good salesman will do, they won't listen and push you to take the test ride, and start the paperwork anyway.

5. The next important part of the process, you must be willing to get up and walk out.

I did this at three different dealers, and within an hour of leaving each one they all called me back. The last call I got was while in front of the sales rep at another dealer. That is the one I ended up buying from; can you guess why? Because he knew I had the deal I wanted if I left there. I also continued to get calls for about 2 weeks after, asking me if I still was interested in the vehicle I looked at.

DISCLAIMER: This will not get you 10-15K off a vehicle. You must be realistic in your expectations, but if its close, it will work. If you like you can PM me with specific questions and I can elaborate more

Mark

I just did a quick search. The asking price in my area for used 12's are about 28k, 13's 34k, and one used 14 was 36k

Last edited:

Tranquillity

To keep it simple here's what I'd do. Go with the Rubi and here's why. Buying a sport and upgrading it will in fact have better components (considering you're buying quality parts) but also will cost you more than a rubi.

If you're that average guy I assume it's going to be your DD and 35 will bring you to a reasonable mpg.

4.10 on 35 with the 3.6 is a good ratio and the only thing I'd add up is C gusset... It's cheap and a good "just in case".

n3tfury

Leave the e-discos, shocks, and rails out of it. All of that stuff you can get for <$200

If I were to do it again, I would have waited just for the D44 and lockers as I plan on running 37's on a trussed D30 for now.

noroad

I had the same battle as you did, I even thought about trading in my sport for a rubi after a year. This is what i came to, #1 I like working on jeeps and dont mind doing my own lift and labor i see it as fun (if you do not maybe a rubi is better in long run). #2 i new right from the start that 4.10 gears and the e lockers are not the best for 37s which i wanted so instead of paying for the upgraded parts and throwig them out i went with the sport. #3 the smaller payment helped me put more money into mods. if your like me you dont have 30k to make ur over night dream rig and will be doing a build over time. with this i can only say is it sucks, it is painful to see $2000 of parts just sitting on ur floor waiting for other parts or install time but building it the way you want and over time is not that bad it took me a year to get a 4.5 long arm sitting on 37s and im still building, but the road here was the reason i bought a jeep and keep building.

Last part of advice Research dont rush into things and Do it right the first time i did a really long stage build with my yj wasted so much money just figure out what YOU want and shoot for that!!

JKWrang

I had the same battle as you did, I even thought about trading in my sport for a rubi after a year. This is what i came to, #1 I like working on jeeps and dont mind doing my own lift and labor i see it as fun (if you do not maybe a rubi is better in long run). #2 i new right from the start that 4.10 gears and the e lockers are not the best for 37s which i wanted so instead of paying for the upgraded parts and throwig them out i went with the sport. #3 the smaller payment helped me put more money into mods. if your like me you dont have 30k to make ur over night dream rig and will be doing a build over time. with this i can only say is it sucks, it is painful to see $2000 of parts just sitting on ur floor waiting for other parts or install time but building it the way you want and over time is not that bad it took me a year to get a 4.5 long arm sitting on 37s and im still building, but the road here was the reason i bought a jeep and keep building.

Last part of advice Research dont rush into things and Do it right the first time i did a really long stage build with my yj wasted so much money just figure out what YOU want and shoot for that!!

Solid advice there. Got the sport for similar reasons here too. Not planning on going bigger than 35s and would rather put the extra money in mods I want sooner. The rubi is nice but if I went that route I wouldn't be in a lift right now

Sent via secret squirrel underground network.

Shaved Ice

The best mod in the world is the title to you vehicle. If you must have the additional room an Unlimited provides, (I do) then I would get the Rubicon. That way you have the 80% solution while you are paying if off. If you "settle" for the Sport, the mod bug will start biting you almost immediately. You will have buyer's remorse with the Sport, IMHO.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
i mine as well throw my :twocents: in on this subject.

Honestly you cant go wrong with either one! The Sport is just as capable as the Rubi right out of the box! no it doesnt have an e-disco, lockers, 4.1 transfer case, or even a front 44 like the rubi does but it can do just as much as a rubi with it. YES all of those features are great to have but sometime finances get in the way and dont allow you to.

in the end if you get a sport make sure that the one upgrade that you get when picking it out is that it has 3.73 gears or even 4.10's already in it. dont settle for 3.21 gears. like others have said, make sure you RESEARCH every jeep possible to make sure you pick the right one for you are the right price thats in your budget. who knows you may find a rubi at just the right price!

Best of luck with your search and keep us posted on what you go with

Last edited:

RUBINOT

Caught the Bug
i mine as well throw my :twocents: in on this subject.

Honestly you cant go wrong with either one! The Sport is just as capable as the Rubi right out of the box! no it doesnt have an e-disco, lockers, 4.1 transfer case, or even a front 44 like the rubi does but it can do just as much as a rubi with it. YES all of those features are great to have but sometime finances get in the way and dont allow you to.

in the end if you get a sport make sure that the one upgrade that you get when picking it out is that it has 3.73 gears or even 4.10's already in it. dont settle for 3.21 gears. like other have said, make sure you RESEARCH ever jeep possible to make sure you pick the right one for you are the right price thats in your budget. who knows you may find a rubi at just the right price!

Best of luck with your search and keep us posted on what you go with

I agree with this too.

Rubi's are nice, sports are too.

I personally buy the sports model and build them to my taste. Takes a little longer, but is a heck of a lot fun doing it.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Zstairlessone

If you do get the Rubi (I would) and decide to upgrade the Rubi components down the line when you can afford it you can sell the parts you take off to recover some of the value and you get to use them until you are able to upgrade should you decide to.

xtremefx4

If you can afford it go with a rubi that way you don't have to put much on it right away.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom