Jeep Patriot or Jeep Cherokee?

ShinDiggity

My sister in law wants either a patriot or a Cherokee. I prefer the look of the Patriot over the Cherokee but not sure of anything else. Anybody have experiences with either?

stweasel

Took a patriot to Taroweap and it did fine on dirt roads and silt patches. It did scrape on some of the rocky sections of the road as the clearance is low. It's difficult to find the trail rated versions so most of the ones with 4WD do not have 4 low. I still imagine it would look good with a lift and mud tires .

Sent from my HTCONE using WAYALIFE mobile app

David1tontj

My sister in law got a patriot about a year and a half ago. She loves it. Perfect mix of SUV and car. It shouldn't actually be called a jeep, because it is terribly low to the ground and doesn't have a low range, but that's what gives it better mileage. The road noise is something worth mentioning, as it seems particularly loud inside. Also the transmission is kinda wierd/cool- they made it so that it smoothly applies power through all the gears instead of really clunking through the gears... Almost like it only has one speed.. I think it is an ok rig, as it gets you off the ground, but still handles a lot like a car. Also kinda looks like a chop top especially when you are sitting inside. Overall a pretty cool rig.

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

GuillaumeC91

When you see a Jeep patriot, think of a Dodge Caliber, that's what you're looking at lol. Same engine options and uni body platform. Overall still a cool vehicle, but the only thing Jeep about it is the front facia and emblems.

Also the transmission is kinda wierd/cool- they made it so that it smoothly applies power through all the gears instead of really clunking through the gears... Almost like it only has one speed..

That's the Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT). Instead of the typical planetary gear system, it uses a system that could be compared to pulleys. It's a technology that comes from snowmobiles I belive. Cool system, but it makes the engine sound so bad when accelerating. Reminds me of someone burning a clutch!

Don't follow me, I'm lost too! O|||||||O

David1tontj

When you see a Jeep patriot, think of a Dodge Caliber, that's what you're looking at lol. Same engine options and uni body platform. Overall still a cool vehicle, but the only thing Jeep about it is the front facia and emblems.

That's the Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT). Instead of the typical planetary gear system, it uses a system that could be compared to pulleys. It's a technology that comes from snowmobiles I belive. Cool system, but it makes the engine sound so bad when accelerating. Reminds me of someone burning a clutch!

Don't follow me, I'm lost too! O|||||||O

Yeah! ^ what he said! Haha. Thanks!

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

IBeHeWhoIsJoshua

The new Cherokee? I looked at one while the JK was in service...really really nice inside the Trail Hawk...really really expensive. Outside, shamefully, I'm getting used to. I have seen a lot on the road surprisingly. I wouldn't do anything with a CVT...they just really bug me. Didn't like playing with them in school either.

I had the patriot latitude edition. I called it my soccer mom jeep till I got my JK. it was good on gas, i usually shoved 4 people in it easily and would be able to park anywhere a smaller car would which more or less was the compact spots at chipotle :rock: ive seen small lifts you can do with it and can make them a little cooler. but i enjoyed it for the almost 2 years i had it. specially the remote start. now on to a bone stock JK :yup:

Devallee

My girlfriend has the Patriot and it's not bad. I don't know much about the tranny in it, but I noticed the gas pedal seems a little touchy. Whenever I drive it, I can feel it jerking a little (like I'm tapping the gas pedal) just from the slightest movements in my leg caused by bumps in the road. Other than that it's not a bad little ride. Smooth, comfortable, decent size, and good gas mileage. I can't speak for the Cherokee however besides its hideous looks IMO

Sent from my SGH-M919 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom