Pro rock 44 unlimited help on setting caster

mrmet1983

I recently installed tht prorock 44 unlimited and some adjustable control arms I'm trying to get the caster set right and get rid of the bow in my front springs has anyone else done this and have control arm lengths I'm running 4 " enforcer thanks guys

I don't always wheel , but when I do I keep it tight......... Stay dirty my friends.

mrmet1983

It almost seems likey front uppers are to short

I don't always wheel , but when I do I keep it tight......... Stay dirty my friends.

mrmet1983

Anyone run this set up I'm curious what control arms got used cuz my currie front uppers are way to short causing my front springs to bow and I can't lengthen the lowers anymore cuz then the caster is way off cuz the uppers aren't long enough

JK's JK

Banned
When I first bought my Jeep my wife was driving it back home, she said when she hit a bump and it was follow that direction. I ended up finding my passenger side front coil was way bent forward in the middle and my driver side was bent forward slightly. I pulled off my front upper control arm off and twisted it 8 turns on the passenger side and 4 turns on the driver side. When doing that it straighten up the springs straight up and down. So you put a new axle underneath your Jeep. So is your spring on the bottom pushing out or in the middle?

mrmet1983

the problem is when i set my caster to what dynatrac calls for the bottom spring perch is slightly towards the back of the jeep so i said lets lengthen the lowers and the uppers one inch to move it forward so the bottom spring perch is directly under the top spring perch but when i do thi si run out of threads on my upper control arm so i think that i need longer front uppers so my secondary ? is now who makes longer adj control arms i have rock jock curries and they are about an inch to short i hope that clears it up a little

and to clarify only the uppers are to short best way to describe is when i have the caster set right the lower cas are a little to short this is causing the springs to bow but when i lengthen the lowers and then try to lengthen the uppers i run out of threads on the uppers so my caster is way off but when i bring it back to a good caster reading i have spring bow now i have plenty of room in the lowers just not in the uppers

Last edited:

JK's JK

Banned
Did you use the same arms for the factory axle (I'm assuming you did)? And are you raising your Jeep with the new axle? I personally have never seen a Prorock in person so I'd assume that the axle brackets are in the same locations as the factory. If your centering your axle, your spring up an down straight and your running out of thread on your upper control arm, I'd say new arms. I'd like to hear from someone that has a prorock axle as well to have more knowledge on the bracket location.

Last edited:

mrmet1983

yea the proc rock mounts are all pretty much the same th eonly diff is it has 10 degrees of seperationg instead of 6 thata stock jk has and no i only had front lowers on the stock axle with no problems i installed the uppers with the pro rock im hoping someone can chime in on this from dynatrac but i dont think they check this to often

Tigrcky

are your springs bowing to the front or rear? if you lengthen both your arms it will just push your axle forward however if you leave your uppers alone and shorten your lowers it will rotate your axle (bottom to the back) which would be good to remove a rear bowing, or if you shorten your uppers it would be good to remove your upper bowing. and remember (if you ever forget, we all do it) do both uppers and lowers in the same amount and check wheelbase on each side from axle center line to axle center line, spec is no more then 3/4s of an inch difference from side to side. best of luck:thumb:

mrmet1983

are your springs bowing to the front or rear? if you lengthen both your arms it will just push your axle forward however if you leave your uppers alone and shorten your lowers it will rotate your axle (bottom to the back) which would be good to remove a rear bowing, or if you shorten your uppers it would be good to remove your upper bowing. and remember (if you ever forget, we all do it) do both uppers and lowers in the same amount and check wheelbase on each side from axle center line to axle center line, spec is no more then 3/4s of an inch difference from side to side. best of luck:thumb:

my front axle is to far backwards at the moment but the caster is perfect i know that lengthening and shortening roatates the axle but thats not the problem i have the caster set fine and the springs are bowing because the lower spring perch is like an inch closer to th eback of the jeep then the upper spring perch this is casuing my bow no matter how i rotate the axle the bow is still there because i cant get the lower spring perch to sit in line with the upper spring perch cuz my upper control arms are to short

what i think i need to do is lengthen both an inch so that the axle is sitting directly under the upper spring perches now i have plenty of room in the lowers but becuase of the extra caster in the pro rock the uppers need to be much longer then on a d44 or d30 this is causing my bow so in theory it seems like i need longer uppers so i can slide the entire axle an inch forward to line everything up

Last edited:

JK's JK

Banned
Can you take some pictures of the whole setup, the spring and your front arms? And what your adjusting please.

Tigrcky

my front axle is to far backwards at the moment but the caster is perfect i know that lengthening and shortening roatates the axle but thats not the problem i have the caster set fine and the springs are bowing because the lower spring perch is like an inch closer to th eback of the jeep then the upper spring perch this is casuing my bow no matter how i rotate the axle the bow is still there because i cant get the lower spring perch to sit in line with the upper spring perch cuz my upper control arms are to short

ahhh thanks for clearing that up! any chance that you have cam style bolts on the frame and axle mounts for the control arms? if so you should put the fram ones so they are all the way forward and the axle ones all the way back that should give you an extra 2 inches or so, if not then disregard that. you might wanna look for different uppers if they are maxed out.

mrmet1983

Hard to get a pic but here is the bow in the spring ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1391890953.166648.jpg

mrmet1983

ahhh thanks for clearing that up! any chance that you have cam style bolts on the frame and axle mounts for the control arms? if so you should put the fram ones so they are all the way forward and the axle ones all the way back that should give you an extra 2 inches or so, if not then disregard that. you might wanna look for different uppers if they are maxed out.

i dont not have cam bolts and will not use them either i dont like them they always get messed up when u wheel hard so thats not an option i think my only option is longer upper control arms so now i have to find out who makes longer adj control arms then the currie rock jock

Tigrcky

i dont not have cam bolts and will not use them either i dont like them they always get messed up when u wheel hard so thats not an option i think my only option is longer upper control arms so now i have to find out who makes longer adj control arms then the currie rock jock

you might want to consider upgrading to long arms if you havent already, also by the looks of that its livable for a short time.

JK's JK

Banned
I like pictures. Yeah if your lengthening your lower control arm and your upper is running out of threads then a new upper control arms are needed. Your spring is for sure not straight up and down.

mrmet1983

i agree tricky its driveable just driving me nuts and rides a little floaty still cuz its not lined up i was originally going with evo long arms but the wait is way to long now i have to see if i can fid longer uppers

Tigrcky

i agree tricky its driveable just driving me nuts and rides a little floaty still cuz its not lined up i was originally going with evo long arms but the wait is way to long now i have to see if i can fid longer uppers

let us know what you find! best of luck! :thumb:

mrmet1983

thanks not i have to try and find out who makes the longest adj control arm without going to long arms

taking a peak at the synergy front uppers they look longer and they can be adjusted without taking the arm end off

Last edited:

Tigrcky

thanks not i have to try and find out who makes the longest adj control arm without going to long arms

can you do us all a favor and go measure the uppers from bolt center line to center line so we can help you find longer upper CAs?

Top Bottom