The Pumpkin "Build"

Armydog

Good Morning all my fellow Jeepers!!

I am thinking a starting a thread tracking the "build" of my pumpkin from the day I brought her home until NEVER - when she will be finished (much to my wife's dismay!)

I am hesitant to use the term "build" because that implies that I will somehow keep up with the hard-core serious rigs that so many wayalifer's have and I am envious of. I have no expectation of being able to meet the bar that this community has and continues to set... just going to build (if you will permit me to use that term) MY TOY to the best of both my financial and mechanical abilities.

That having been said, this at least will give me a centralized place to post what little progress I make, ask for suggestions and opinions and run really dumb 'new-guy' questions past the membership at large. AND, it will keep from hijacking everyone else's thread and aggravating my neighbors with the intrusions....

Talked myself into it; I guess if no one reads, responds and comments on the thread than the only harm is a waste of my time on jeep stuff..... which I like to do anyway.

COOL! I now have my own thread!!!!

Armydog

Should put the specs for the Pumpkin as she sits right now:

2005 TJ Rubicon
Impact Orange
4.0 stock
6 speed manual
1" Daystar body lift
4" Zone lift with belly drop
Hard(stock) and Soft Tops(best top NX frame less)
Metal Cloak Rock Sliders
Metal Cloak rear modified flare mounts (no flares)
Poison Spyder hood vent
RECON 55w spot lights (X4)
Paramount front and Rear XRC clone bumpers
XRC clone swing away tire carrier
2" wheel spacers (no name)
35X12.5X15 Mickey Ts
15" steel wheels (no name)
ShittyBuilt XRC10 winch with steel cable
ORO LED tail lights
Warrior Products plate relocation w/ LED 3rd break light
Orange trail/dune flag
Front and Rear locker bypass relay
Orange shock boots
Stock D44s front and rear
Stock D shafts front and rear
Stock T-case
Trail Ready Cab Cover
Tuff Mudder Orange headband - hanging from the rear view (TriState 2013 / going again this year!)

I think that covers her(LOL) as she sits right now....

Last edited:

Armydog

Pumkin Update...

pictures from Ipad.16FEB2014 211.JPG pictures from Ipad.16FEB2014 208.JPG Finished the MetalCloak rock sliders and rear modified cut fender mount plates.... I know that this is out of sequence and I should sit here and build this thread with pictures from the beginning BUT I want to find some snow to play in......

So here are a few pictures of how she looks right now, I'll fill in the blanks later..... going for a snow bank now!!!

pvanweelden

Looks good! :thumb:
I know you just got this jeep- the first thing I would address is- you have the body lift (on a tj, besides tire clearance, the advantage of having a body lift is to be able to run a flat belly skid)
but you (previous owner) also then have a transfer case drop- guessing the drive shafts were at too much of an angle, so the previous owner put the drop in. The drop is a negative upgrade overall.
You want to be able to get as much belly clearance as possible. You would need to change driveshafts to accomplish it tho
There should be a sye(rubi) on the rear of the transfer case, start by verifying that you have that.
What are your plans for her?

Armydog

I know you just got this jeep- the first thing I would address is- you have the body lift (on a tj, besides tire clearance, the advantage of having a body lift is to be able to run a flat belly skid)
but you (previous owner) also then have a transfer case drop- guessing the drive shafts were at too much of an angle, so the previous owner put the drop in. The drop is a negative upgrade overall.
You want to be able to get as much belly clearance as possible. You would need to change driveshafts to accomplish it tho
There should be a sye(rubi) on the rear of the transfer case, start by verifying that you have that.

You are right on, the belly drop has to go! Trying to decide if I will go with a woods drive shaft or not. Didn't see a JE Reel for the TJ just JKs, but I am looking. I think if I get the better joints a woods will work- but yes the tummy tuck is next on my list...

Armydog

Got stuck....

Yea! Got the Pumpkin stuck up a trail in about 3 feet on snow or so. Didn't air down cause I am lazy. Didn't save any time or effort because I had to pull her out a little with the cable - at least I know the winch works!! Only about 1/4 mile from the house so the fact that I left my recovery bag in the garage in order to fit my partner in the back meant we got to go for a little walk as well....

That belly drop is like a plow!!! must have picked up a yard on snow under there. Pressure washed, fueled up and back in the driveway..... DAMN ITS COLD!!

Armydog

Plans?

Shit Dude, Plans? Yup! more like dreams though....

PR 60's front and rear
Metal Cloak Overline tube fenders
Rub rail rear fenders (maybe - I like it naked)
Tummy Tuck
Double Cardan rear drive shaft
full roll cage (maybe bolt in sport cage, or full weld like GenRight)
ATX 17" Slabs
NITTO 37's
on board air
Warn upright winch with synthetic line
Factor 55 link
CB
truck vault rear lockbox
upgraded suspension lift kit - currently has a 4" Zone. I need something more technical. Don't "need" a DTD or coil over (??????) but something stringer and smoother and flexier than what I have
Currie ant-rock sway bar (or similar or just disconnects).....

no real reason or plan or what goes first or what to do next. the two major factors limiting my "build" are money and time in that order.... I think the Drive Shaft and skid plate/belly pan are going to be next because they have an immediate effect on the wheel-ability of my Pumpkin....

again, free-fire zone for opinions and suggestions.... I'm learning here. TANGO!

Last edited:

pvanweelden

For cage options- I did BTF weld in sport kit for the front and then a straight bar across the back (so trektop would still work with it) cost was $249 for BTF kit and then $110 for additional dom for rear
uploadfromtaptalk1388721485639.jpg

you can run 37's on your axles now :thumb:

Armydog

For cage options- I did BTF weld in sport kit for the front and then a straight bar across the back (so trektop would still work with it) cost was $249 for BTF kit and then $110 for additional dom for rear
View attachment 69701

you can run 37's on your axles now :thumb:

Very nice cage = I like it, clean look and solid. Does it tie into the frame? Did you have to trim around the dash at all? Much better look than the bolt on cages... I don't weld so that would add to the cost, but still that's a damn good price overall.

I could run 37's but would probably want to re-gear anyway. Might just move to bigger tires before I get better axles, but still want the D60's just cause.

AND I definitely need BEADLOCKS!!! I'm afraid to air down with the steel crappy wheels, don't really want to throw a bead..

pvanweelden

Thanks, cage is all weld in, no cutting of dash, it replaces the front A to B pillar factory tubes, and then ties into the B hoop.

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Armydog

Can't find the picture of the jeep the day she came to live with me, I'll keep looking, but here is the story. Found this jeep on Ebay. I was looking for a post deployment present to myself, originally was going to buy a new Harley. The wife was against that. A close friend had a horrible crash while I was deployed and although thank God he lived, his life is forever changed by the injuries he had suffered.

Long story, longer... I had jeeps in the past, she and I had a stock 98 Sahara and her son has an 09 JKUR. So the sale was pretty easy to make to "household 6". Wanted a dark, military color and definitely a 2 door. Either a TJ or JK and had to fit my limited budget. When I saw the pumpkin I was sold on the spot! I immediately loved the color, and some modifications were already done. The price wasn't too bad and I wanted her! Rather than bid back and forth on Ebay, I contacted the seller and made an offer. After agreeing on the price, I got my bank to cut a check for my new toy. The plan was to go see it in person, take it for a test drive and decide if it was what I wanted. You know what they say about plans? The bank ACCIDENTALLY sent the check to the potential seller!!!!! FML!!!!

I got out of work after calling this guy and confirming he had both my money and my truck! Rented a piece of shit car trailer from a local equipment rental company that I will NEVER do business with again and drove over 4.5 hours to southern NJ to get either the jeep or my money ( hopefully )

Thankfully, the jeep was as good as I hoped and the seller was a stand up guy - NJ State Trooper with the K9 Unit!!!! Go figure!!!

We brought her home on the shitty trailer and have been spending money on her ever since. I am very happy with the truck and cannot wait for top off and door off weather!!!!! beach trip!! View attachment 69841

Update, found the picture...
Copied this from a thread I already started, twice is nice....

Top Bottom