"Clunk" from B pillar area

steve_r2

Anyone have any ideas on what might be causing a "clunk" from the B pillar area ? Not present all the time happens when going over speed bumps etc but on a intermittent basis. Think it may be seat belt attachment or is there something else I need to look at ?

Check the tightness of your sound bar. If you have kids check under the seat to see if there might be a toy. I know my boy leave toys in the back of my JK and I never know what is rolling around back there.

Sent from my fRuit product using WAL

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Check the tightness of your sound bar. If you have kids check under the seat to see if there might be a toy. I know my boy leave toys in the back of my JK and I never know what is rolling around back there.

I've got the same thing going on and dismissed it as "a Jeep thing." Good tip and I'll check it out.:thumb:

09blackruby

Yup. Took me a bit to figure this out myself. It was my door latch. Take a piece of electrical tape and rap a little around the door latch where the strike meets the latch and see if that fixed it.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
Yup. Took me a bit to figure this out myself. It was my door latch. Take a piece of electrical tape and rap a little around the door latch where the strike meets the latch and see if that fixed it.

Instead of using electrical tape, adjust the striker bolt on the B pillar itself. Had to do this on both my front doors. It doesn't take a whole lot of adjustment, just move it a hair either in or up.

09blackruby

Thanks for the info. I will try the adjustment. That clunk drove me crazy. Tape did fix but adjusting it is probably the proper fix.

Moochie

Back in 2009 the dealership replaced my latches with "new and improved" versions for no charge. This briefly worked as a fix. To this day I still have tape on all of my door latches.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Back in 2009 the dealership replaced my latches with "new and improved" versions for no charge. This briefly worked as a fix. To this day I still have tape on all of my door latches.

LOL!! Amazing how well that works :D

turbineguy

Anyone have any ideas on what might be causing a "clunk" from the B pillar area ? Not present all the time happens when going over speed bumps etc but on a intermittent basis. Think it may be seat belt attachment or is there something else I need to look at ?

I discovered that noise can travel up the B-pillar and give a very skewed idea of where the ultimate source was. I had a noise that I swore was coming from the seat belt harness on my B-pillar, but it turned out it was actually my cheap SRC sliders (since replaced) being bet and rattling against the lower body.

steve_r2

So...shifted the door striker upwards slightly and magic electrical tape....... Clunk seems to have gone..... cheers guys !

Top Bottom