Driveshaft Borrowed time?

CerOf

How much longer could I have gone?

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1392681324.318449.jpg

Just pulled the front. 8 bolts at transfer case, 4 at front differential. Rubber mallet and fell right off. Had to beat the snot out of flange on t-case.

I can run fine without front till new one goes in, right?

Sent from a a few tin cans and some string.

904Jeep

I can run fine without front till new one goes in, right?

Not sure how much longer you could have gone but by the looks of it, not very long. It is perfectly fine to run without a front driveshaft in, i did so for several weeks until i could afford a new shaft. Just make sure you leave the flange and yoke in until you are putting in the new shaft.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If that had been your rear shaft, it was done a long time ago. You can run without a shaft just fine so long as you still have the flange installed on the t-case and pinion.

JEEPnGEO

Mine was like that but with the boot no grease and the balls were small and the metal curved part was all chewed up from my small balls. Didn't get to see what the back looked liked he didn't have time to take it apart. Looks like WAL needs a drive shaft sponsor.

Any takers

Firewrangler

Was it making any noise to give you any indications that something was up? I'm getting a lot of popping and creaking noises! About to drop my front shaft and see what it looks like. 108k miles on my Jeep.

904Jeep

Was it making any noise to give you any indications that something was up? I'm getting a lot of popping and creaking noises! About to drop my front shaft and see what it looks like. 108k miles on my Jeep.

JEEPnGEO and I were experiencing a ratcheting noise associated with throttle input. Another forum user on here experienced the popping noises you speak of and I believe they posted a video of theirs on my thread

Firewrangler

Yeah, I guess my creaking noise could be described as a ratcheting sound! It had occasional pops also! Just gotta get the damn thing off now!

CerOf

I noticed a ratcheting sound when I used 4wd the other day in some snow/ice. Otherwise, no vibes, issues, or warning signs. Had I not known to inspect every oil change to every other oil change, I'd probably be on the side of the road somewhere dropping my shaft and in needing to change my drawers.

JEEPnGEO

I can't believe someone can go 108K miles with those things. I know mine failed early because I am a knuckle head and did a 4 inch lift. It seems like 98% of the rigs on here are lifted some way, shape or form.

Anybody else hit the 100K with stock shafts?

TeamFaust

Hit the trail this last Sat with a group, at the trail head put it into 4Hi and clickety, click. 79,800miles but figure very few of those on the front driveshaft. 3" lift for about 20,000 miles. For reference here are a couple of good pics. First is a good view of what to look for... see the thrown grease since the boot ruptured, second is a shot of the bearing with torn up boot and all the crud in the bearing.
front DS CV - resized.jpg front DS CV compromised - resized.jpg
New Coast drive shaft going in this evening.

CerOf

I can't believe someone can go 108K miles with those things. I know mine failed early because I am a knuckle head and did a 4 inch lift. It seems like 98% of the rigs on here are lifted some way, shape or form.

Anybody else hit the 100K with stock shafts?

104,000 miles here

Top Bottom