Question on stock tires and aftermarket wheels

M.Bonanni

So I have tried searching on here and JK-Forum but couldn't really find a definitive answer. While I am waiting on my '14 JKUR to be built I am planning my mod list. I won't be able to do a ton right away but I will be able to do a few things. I want to do wheels, but I can't afford to do wheels/tires at the same time right now. The wheels I am looking at are 17x9" with a 4.5 backspacing. Is there any reason why I wouldn't want to put the stock Rubicon tires on those wheels? They are 1.5" wider than factory and the factory tires are 255/75/17. Sorry if this is a noob question but I come from the sports car world where that wouldn't fly, but sports car tires also have A LOT less sidewall.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You'll be fine running the factory Rubicon tires on your new 17x9 wheels. Where it could be a potential problem is if you air down really low on the trail. The wider width will not provide as much of a hold on your bead and you could potentially roll/break the bead. Depending on the trails you'll be running, I don't see this as being a real problem.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
the reason you wouldnt is because the rim is so much wider. it would make it easier to pop a bead when aired down

stweasel

Besides losing the bead you could also lose a lot of rim protection, which you would want with the amount of rocks on the trails around Vegas

M.Bonanni

Yep. Thinking I am gonna spend that money on a front bumper instead. I don't mind the stock Rubicon wheels. I will wait then until I can do wheels/tires at the same time.

jeffd

you could keep the stock rims and replace the tires, that was my first order of business on my new rubicon.

M.Bonanni

you could keep the stock rims and replace the tires, that was my first order of business on my new rubicon.

Yeah. Going aftermarket is purely for aesthetic reasons since the wheel I want aren't beadlocks. I don't mind the looks of the stock Rubicon wheels but I prefer the looks of aftermarket.

jeffd

Yeah. Going aftermarket is purely for aesthetic reasons since the wheel I want aren't beadlocks. I don't mind the looks of the stock Rubicon wheels but I prefer the looks of aftermarket.

when I first saw the 13-14 rubicon rim I did not like them but now they have become my favorite rim. I was going to replace them but I doubt I will now. I know I run pretty wimpy tires compared to most but I think they look good with 285/75-17's.
IMG_20140125_144110028_zpssh2u9gsm.jpg

M.Bonanni

sorry to hijack but woudl there be an issue running ATX slabs on stock tires?
3.5 backspacing...

No worry, my question has already been answered. :D

Since the slabs are beadlocks I assume that would solve the bead popping issue with running wider wheels on stock tires. Or at least make it a whole lot harder.

Sorry, I need help and will be hijacking this thread to. I want to get some 17x9 24mm offset wheels. Does anyone know if this equals a 4.5 inch backspacing? I will be running 35's and I need 4.5 inches of backspacing so I don't rub.

KennyFrench

"This is a jecking" Sorry, my stepson was playing GTA all weekend.

I thought I had seen the answer to this question on the forum previously, but now I can't find it. I have a JK Sport - not a Rubicon: Can I run with 17X9 wheels? If so, what about tires - 255/75R17?

2013CGJKU

"This is a jecking" Sorry, my stepson was playing GTA all weekend.

I thought I had seen the answer to this question on the forum previously, but now I can't find it. I have a JK Sport - not a Rubicon: Can I run with 17X9 wheels? If so, what about tires - 255/75R17?

That would be fine. There isn't a difference as far as that stuff is concerned between a sport or a rubicon.

Levi

2013 CG JKU 6-speed

KennyFrench

That would be fine. There isn't a difference as far as that stuff is concerned between a sport or a rubicon.

Levi

2013 CG JKU 6-speed

But, doesn't the Rubicon have almost 2 more inches of ground clearance? Or, is that the difference between the 16" wheels of the Sport and the 17" wheels of the Rubicon? Please forgive my ignorance.

2013CGJKU

But, doesn't the Rubicon have almost 2 more inches of ground clearance? Or, is that the difference between the 16" wheels of the Sport and the 17" wheels of the Rubicon? Please forgive my ignorance.

Yeah, it's the wheel/tire package on the rubicon that makes the difference.

Levi

2013 CG JKU 6-speed

Top Bottom