Dana 30 vs Dana 44

Rincos

Hi guys !
I keep trying to find a real comparison chart with detailed specs and measurements between Dana 30 and Dana 44 front axle but I couldn't !
So I need to know if there's any difference in the actual tube thickness between the two ?
If anyone has this info please share !
Thanks a lot !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tube size is the same. The only difference between the two is the diff housing, everything else is identical.

Sent from my DROID4 using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Close but not exactly. Both Dana 30 and Dana 44 JK front axles share the same tubes, end forgings, knuckles and brakes. The Dana 44 is only a 44 because of it's larger differential and beefier shafts which have bigger joints and a greater spline count - it's more of a hybrid 44 than a true 44.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Here's some more specific info on both:

DANA 30
Dana 30 front axles have a 7-1/8″ diameter ring gear and come standard on Sahara and X model Jeep JK Wranglers with a gear ratio of 3.21. For 2007, an optional 4.10 gear ratio was available on towing packages. In 2008, this was changed and the only optional factory gear ratio now available is 3.73. Dana 30 front axles do not come with any limited slip or locking differentials. Dana 30 axle shafts are 27 spline.

DANA 44
Dana 44 axles have an 8-1/2″ diameter ring gear and now come standard on the rear end of all Jeep JK Wranglers. Sahara, Sport and X models come standard with 3.21 gear ratio. In 2007, optional towing packages were available with a 4.10 gear ratio. In 2008, the only optional factory gear ratio available is now 3.73. A limited slip differential is available as an option and as of 2008, a selectable electric locking differential is available as an option as well. All Rubicon model Jeep JK Wranglers come standard with front and rear Dana 44 axles, a 4.10 gear ratio and selectable electric locking differentials. Dana 44 axle shafts are 30 spline.

Here's a pic I took to help give you a better idea of ring gear size differences:

main.php

And, here's a couple of pics I took to help give you a better idea of axle shaft size differences:

Shafts
main.php

Stub Shafts
main.php

Rincos

Thanks a lot you guys ! I was under the impression that the tubes of the axle (not shafts) were thicker !

Rincos

Here's some more specific info on both:

DANA 30
Dana 30 front axles have a 7-1/8″ diameter ring gear and come standard on Sahara and X model Jeep JK Wranglers with a gear ratio of 3.21. For 2007, an optional 4.10 gear ratio was available on towing packages. In 2008, this was changed and the only optional factory gear ratio now available is 3.73. Dana 30 front axles do not come with any limited slip or locking differentials. Dana 30 axle shafts are 27 spline.

DANA 44
Dana 44 axles have an 8-1/2″ diameter ring gear and now come standard on the rear end of all Jeep JK Wranglers. Sahara, Sport and X models come standard with 3.21 gear ratio. In 2007, optional towing packages were available with a 4.10 gear ratio. In 2008, the only optional factory gear ratio available is now 3.73. A limited slip differential is available as an option and as of 2008, a selectable electric locking differential is available as an option as well. All Rubicon model Jeep JK Wranglers come standard with front and rear Dana 44 axles, a 4.10 gear ratio and selectable electric locking differentials. Dana 44 axle shafts are 30 spline.

Here's a pic I took to help give you a better idea of ring gear size differences:

main.php

And, here's a couple of pics I took to help give you a better idea of axle shaft size differences:

Shafts
main.php

Stub Shafts
main.php

Thank you for all the details !
Guess Dana 60 is the way to go if you are thinking of running 37s !

For Dana 44 enhancement would you go with the 14 bolt truss or the sleeve and the gussets reinforced ?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you for all the details !
Guess Dana 60 is the way to go if you are thinking of running 37s !

Only if you have the funds for one. I run a Dynatrac ProRock 44 with 37's and it gets the job done well. I run a ProRock 60 on my other JK that's running 40's and wouldn't run anything less.

For Dana 44 enhancement would you go with the 14 bolt truss or the sleeve and the gussets reinforced ?

Neither - both are a waste of money if you really plan on playing hard enough to need them as your axle will still bend and really, a bent axle won't keep you from getting home. If you really want to throw money at your Dana 44, I would just get gussets as they are cheap and will help prevent certain bending of the axle C's and I would get chromoly shafts with full circle clips. That will buy you some time. Otherwise, I would just play with what you've got until you can afford to get a Dynatrac ProRock 44 Unlimited which is BETTER than a true 44.

Rincos

Neither - both are a waste of money if you really plan on playing hard enough to need them as your axle will still bend and really, a bent axle won't keep you from getting home. If you really want to throw money at your Dana 44, I would just get gussets as they are cheap and will help prevent certain bending of the axle C's and I would get chromoly shafts with full circle clips. That will buy you some time. Otherwise, I would just play with what you've got until you can afford to get a Dynatrac ProRock 44 Unlimited which is BETTER than a true 44.

That's an interesting information ! I always thought that the enhancements are worth it

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That's an interesting information ! I always thought that the enhancements are worth it

That's because "the enhancements" are trendy and most of that is because each addition is somewhat affordable. Guys like the idea that they throw a few hundred dollars here and a few hundred there at an axle with tiny thin tubes and make it as bullet proof as a purpose built axle that has 3" diameter tubes that are 1/2" thick and with massive end forgings.

Fact of the matter is, a factory housing will hold up well enough with just gussets if all you do is rock crawl as that won't put too much stress on the tubes. The shafts are where you'll really see things go south and if anything, is where you should be putting your money. Now, if you live out west and like to bomb through the desert, I can assure you that sleeves or trusses won't do squat to prevent the eventual bending of your axles right where the tubes mate to the diff. How do I know? I have seen it happen time and time again over the last 7+ years but, you can take what I have to say for whatever it's worth.

Again, if it were me, I would just play with what you got and save your money until you can invest in a ProRock 44. Depending on how hard you really play, you may never even need one. Me, I was able to get about 1 year or about 65,000 miles out of my factory front 44 before it was bent enough that I wanted to swap it out and once I got there, I had enough saved to make it happen.

I'm walking/talking proof of what Eddie is talking about. With all the money I spent trying to "beef up" my D30 front, I could've easily bought a D60. In the long run I wound up basically paying for 2 front axles. Only thing I succeeded in doing was making that D30 look pretty.

GCM 2

Not to get too far off topic.....

But for reasons I have yet to understand, Teraflex sells this for those uncomfortable at committing to a real upgrade :thinking:.......

JK Tera30 Heavy Duty Front Replacement Axle Housing
SKU: Tera30
The Tera30 heavy duty front Dana30 replacement axle is the perfect solution for bent, broken or damaged front axles in JK Wrangler vehicles. The replacement housing includes a heavy duty Tera30 housing, tubes, inner seals, axle bracketry, and outer knuckles. Simply transfer your existing internal components, outer knuckle assembly, and brakes to the new housing!

JK Front Dana 30:
JK 0"-3" - #3503000 $1799.99
JK 4" + w/ raised pinion angle and trackbar bracket - #3503004 $1799.99

3544000-jk-tera44-front-web_2_2.jpg

JAGS

Hooked
I'm walking/talking proof of what Eddie is talking about. With all the money I spent trying to "beef up" my D30 front, I could've easily bought a D60. In the long run I wound up basically paying for 2 front axles. Only thing I succeeded in doing was making that D30 look pretty.

This is why I'm trying to do the PR 44 sooner than later. I'd be spending some coin to beef up the stock. Money that go directly to a new stronger housing.

But of course, I also have things like college tuition for my kids and they keep growing and needing new clothes and stuff. Ugh. 😉😂😂

JAGS

Hooked
But for reasons I have yet to understand, Teraflex sells this for those uncomfortable at committing to a real upgrade :thinking:.......

JK Tera30 Heavy Duty Front Replacement Axle Housing
SKU: Tera30
The Tera30 heavy duty front Dana30 replacement axle is the perfect solution for bent, broken or damaged front axles in JK Wrangler vehicles. The replacement housing includes a heavy duty Tera30 housing, tubes, inner seals, axle bracketry, and outer knuckles. Simply transfer your existing internal components, outer knuckle assembly, and brakes to the new housing!

JK Front Dana 30:
JK 0"-3" - #3503000 $1799.99
JK 4" + w/ raised pinion angle and trackbar bracket - #3503004 $1799.99

View attachment 70341

I was talking to someone about this exact product not too long ago. They can't get arms, brackets and carriers right! Why the hell would I put the entire weight and existence of my jeep on there axles????

Tigrcky

I was talking to someone about this exact product not too long ago. They can't get arms, brackets and carriers right! Why the hell would I put the entire weight and existence of my jeep on there axles????

because it looks pretty :cheesy: i have messed with the D30 issues enough on my 87 XJ yeah i dont drive through the dessert fast or anything like that but come down to hard on that housing just once and its all she wrote! save your pennies and buy your PR44 or PR60 and wheel lightly until then :thumb:

Rincos

I live far far west or east ... In europe ! Where we deal with a bit different kind of environment ! Not more not less but different ! And let me just give you the example that made me buy the sleeve and C gussets enhancement kit ! A friend of mine with a JKU Rubi on 3.5" Clayton lift and 35" nitto's bent his front dana 44 by climbing on a steep alpine road where suddenly a huge ledge was on the way, being a climb the front axle was under load and a sudden bump made the JKU fly and then land on the ledge directly with the pumpkin, which made the axle bend right where the tubes are forced in the pukin! Usually when it comes to axles we first beef up the rear and then the front but all that depends on the playground ! So I was thinking if for mud and trenches I need to step up to a Prorock 44 or 60 and I mean for the front !
Maybe I'll just go for the shafts and C gussets or maybe later on for the PR 60 ! I'm a bit confused right now ! Hahahaha

JeepinLife

Caught the Bug
Close but not exactly. Both Dana 30 and Dana 44 JK front axles share the same tubes, end forgings, knuckles and brakes. The Dana 44 is only a 44 because of it's larger differential and beefier shafts which have bigger joints and a greater spline count - it's more of a hybrid 44 than a true 44.

So a jk 44 isn't a true Dana 44?

JayKay

Caught the Bug
Only if you have the funds for one. I run a Dynatrac ProRock 44 with 37's and it gets the job done well. I run a ProRock 60 on my other JK that's running 40's and wouldn't run anything less.

What chromoly shafts do you recommend for a D30 as far as brand? I know they're probably comparable as long as they have full circle clips, but is any brand better than the other?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What chromoly shafts do you recommend for a D30 as far as brand? I know they're probably comparable as long as they have full circle clips, but is any brand better than the other?

They're pretty much all the same and you can't go wrong with any of them so long as they do come with full circle clips.

Top Bottom