Which front bearing/hub assembly

Tackerdown

Banned
So the wife says she felt a shimmy when she hit bumps.:doh: so I jack up the jeep and find that the front bearing has slop. My question is are there any assembly that one would choose over another? I would like something American made if possible. Any input will be appreciated. Thanks.

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
So the wife says she felt a shimmy when she hit bumps.:doh: so I jack up the jeep and find that the front bearing has slop. My question is are there any assembly that one would choose over another? I would like something American made if possible. Any input will be appreciated. Thanks.

Could you specify which bearing and give a little more detail? Could be a ball joint... But hard to tell without a little more description.

WAYALIFE APP 🍺

biggy

I went with Timkin. Are you sure its the unit bearing causing the shimmy. Usually if its bad you will get a rhythmic sound or vibration. If its happening after hitting a bump I would also look at you steering and suspension components as they may be the real culprit. That being said if their is movement when you shake the tire it should be replaced.

Tackerdown

Banned
I'm almost 100% sure. I jacked it up and grabbed the wheel and could wiggle it a good 1/4" or more. There may also be something else but this is going to be my starting point. Is Timkin made in the US

biggy

I'm almost 100% sure. I jacked it up and grabbed the wheel and could wiggle it a good 1/4" or more. There may also be something else but this is going to be my starting point. Is Timkin made in the US
With that much movement replace it for sure. I believe its US made but not positive on that. When I replaced mine two brands were available with Timken being the more expensive one.

txjeeplover

Recently, I was convinced that I had a bad wheel bearing too. With the front end lifted, I was able to wiggle the tire. A friend was on his way over to help me with another project, and before we took off to the parts store to get a new bearing, I asked him to wiggle the tire while I inspected the components. Turns out it was a bad upper ball joint! Upon disassembly, I discovered that the wheel bearing was still solid, while the ball joint was truly fuqt.

biggy

Recently, I was convinced that I had a bad wheel bearing too. With the front end lifted, I was able to wiggle the tire. A friend was on his way over to help me with another project, and before we took off to the parts store to get a new bearing, I asked him to wiggle the tire while I inspected the components. Turns out it was a bad upper ball joint! Upon disassembly, I discovered that the wheel bearing was still solid, while the ball joint was truly fuqt.

A ball joint would really have to be fubared bad to get movement by shaking the tire with your hands.

Tackerdown

Banned
Hmm I really didn't look that hard at the ball joint I'll have to run out and jack it up to check again.:thinking:

biggy

Did a quick search about Timken. Its a US company however they do outsource to various countries so it may or may not be actually made in the US.

biggy

I was going on the assumption that with the tire on was the proper test for specifying the bearing?
Yes just raise the tire just off the ground. Grasp it at the 12 and six position and try to move it in and out. If its bad it wont take much hand pressure to move it.

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
sorry front hub bearing assembly. 2011 jkur

I hate to assume.

I had about an 1/8" movement with my 37s. I thought it was the unit bearing but it turned out to be my ball joints.

They were still stock ball joints. Put dynatrac pro steer in and no more issues.

I've heard good things about Temkin bearings but they are pricey! Probably get what you pay for though.

WAYALIFE APP 🍺

Tackerdown

Banned
Yes just raise the tire just off the ground. Grasp it at the 12 and six position and try to move it in and out. If its bad it wont take much hand pressure to move it.
Thats what I did and it could even be wiggled easily even when I pulled the tire off to rotate them.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
One easy way to tell if it's a hub bearing or ball joint if you're by yourself is to shake the tire from 12 o'clock to 6 o'clock, look closely at the brake caliper, if it moves with the wheel, ball joint, if it stays put while the wheel moves, hub bearing.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
I would recommend just going with a premium hub bearing from any parts store. Most of the manufacturers are US owned, but the bearings themselves will have China stamped on them.

Tackerdown

Banned
One easy way to tell if it's a hub bearing or ball joint if you're by yourself is to shake the tire from 12 o'clock to 6 o'clock, look closely at the brake caliper, if it moves with the wheel, ball joint, if it stays put while the wheel moves, hub bearing.
Ok thanks ,caliper moves with tire ball joint. hmm I may have been rushing a little. this may have been the case. Need to put on a jacket and go check.

Top Bottom