Bumper build

loscann48

I know I might be a bit nuts, but I recently came to own a welder and have an aqquaintacne that knows a good amount about welding. I want a new bumper but have limited funds. Figured it might be a fun project to try and build my own. Where to start....alright I know I need to come up with a design, mark up and cut, and then weld and paint. Any suggestions of what thinckness steel would be a good strength without getting too heavy. Looking to do a stubby to mid width, going to do shackles, and want to mount factory fogs in the bumper. Don't have a winch, but my want one someday. I know many people have done custom bumpers, some very simplistic and some very advanced. Looking for ideas, tips, suggestions for features and maybe some pics of other bumper builds.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using WAYALIFE mobile app

TheLloyd

I know a few TJ guys that fab their own stuff. They are fabricators as a profession. But what I would suggest, measure and remeasure before any cuts or welds. Have fun and show what you've done

loscann48

I'll definitely show what I do, if I can figure it out and get it done before my ADHD takes over and it becomes just another unfinished project. Falling flat on my face is always a strong possibility!

JandSJK

This is the bumper/stinger that i built. I used channel for the main body and DOM for the stinger Jeepstinger.jpg

Brankz

I had a bad ass costume made rear bumper it's on my thread I will look for the pic and post it here :d

Armydog

Make sure you post pictures of the project as you build it. I am planning on cutting the ends off my mid-length paramount bumper and welding stubby caps in place from the metal cut off.... might try to fabricate a stinger as well...

keep us posted

hydrohut

I know I might be a bit nuts, but I recently came to own a welder and have an aqquaintacne that knows a good amount about welding. I want a new bumper but have limited funds. Figured it might be a fun project to try and build my own. Where to start....alright I know I need to come up with a design, mark up and cut, and then weld and paint. Any suggestions of what thinckness steel would be a good strength without getting too heavy. Looking to do a stubby to mid width, going to do shackles, and want to mount factory fogs in the bumper. Don't have a winch, but my want one someday. I know many people have done custom bumpers, some very simplistic and some very advanced. Looking for ideas, tips, suggestions for features and maybe some pics of other bumper builds.

I made my simple stubby from the steel channel part of the original bumper DSCF1345.jpg Started more or less like this DSCF1353.jpg welded some ends in SDC13514.jpg Added some D shackle plates and the final product (for now)... This is a good budget way to go if funds are limited.

Rebel JK

Wayalife draws in some pretty damn good talent, you really need to look through the builds, fab topics etc. Like Eddie has on the write ups description, most jeep guys will at some point be doing some DYI stuff. Looking forward to see what you end up with.
I think I'm looking at a hybrid between pvanweldon and JandS's set ups. Some cool stuff out there for the guys who like to get dirty.

Top Bottom