42RLE Auto Transmission 4spd

Sahara707

Can you put a 42RLE Auto Transmission 4spd in a 2000 TJ. Need the 4th gear for the highway. 35" tires and 4.88's @ 60mph = 3000rpm's.

kaptkrappy

Can you put a 42RLE Auto Transmission 4spd in a 2000 TJ. Need the 4th gear for the highway. 35" tires and 4.88's @ 60mph = 3000rpm's.

Well, like you, I have no experience with this swap so I searched the internets and found a lot of useful information.

The answer to your question is yes you can (because anything is possible with unlimited money and time).

The best answer I read was this; "Trying to get the 100% computer controlled 42RLE 4-speed automatic working in a 2002 or older TJ would be like trying to get Android working on a dial-up telephone."

Most of the answers on the other Wrangler forums were always return questions "why do you want to ?" Most people said because of the high rpm's like you did.

I think the bottom line is, on older TJ's, you have to live with it or re-gear.

Disclaimer; I only repeat what I read most of the time.

ichthus

I would almost assume it'd be easier to find an AX15 and enjoy the world of manual shifting. Life in manual is more fun anyways :)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I would almost assume it'd be easier to find an AX15 and enjoy the world of manual shifting. Life in manual is more fun anyways :)

If you're gonna go manual, I would go with the NV3550, it's a much stronger tranny and what came in 2000-Up TJ's. :yup:

Trail_Creeper

As stated, the AW-4 is a beast, if you want to stick with an auto. But if you do like the idea of the 5-speed, i'd agree with Eddie and pick up an NV3550.

Top Bottom