Oil change light on at 3500 miles manual says 7000

Beau beau

My oil change required light came on at 3500 miles on my 2012 Jk. The manual says first oil change should be done at 7,000 miles. So I called the local dealer to ask. I was told that a sensor tells when the oil needs to be changed. He also said it depends on how the vehicle is driven. I told him I have 3 friends with 2012's and all came on at 3,500 miles how funny is that. We don't drive them very hard at all. So who is right the jeep or Chrysler for printing it in the manual. I am gonna go ahead and change my oil this weekend anyway. Ok with that being said I have a little something to share on oil and filters. I work in a chemical plant in the maintenance division. I am a certified vibration analyst and oil analyst. I had to go to school for a week to get my certification on oil analysis. I take oil samples from gearboxes and I analyze them in a lab to check wear debris,water and viscosity breakdown. Enough about that boring stuff but while I was in training I asked the instructor who has been doing this for 30 plus years what the best motor oil is and filter. He told he can't say one is better than the other for business reasons. So I asked the question in a different way. I said what do you run in you personal cars. He said he uses moblie 1 oil and he uses puralator pure one oil filter and that's all he will ever use. He told me after the class he takes oil samples from his motor every 2000 miles and he is getting between 10,000 to 12,000 miles on oil changes. He told me the puralator pure one oil filter has much better filter media than all others. There is a formula that figure this out on filters called the beta ratio of a filter. Sorry if I bored all of you but I was just wondering about the oil change required light and the manual discrepancies. I will take a oil sample after every 2,000 miles on this oil change and keep everyone updated. Thanks

ZERO LIMITZ

Thanks for the info, looks like someone that tests the oil for a living might be on to something....... Sounds like time to change oil and filter brands!!!

Serg5000

I change mine every 5k miles. The light comes on and I just clear it and continue on waiting for the 5k miles to be reached. As for filters. Well I figure as long as you change your oil on a regular basis. There shouldn't be any issues. Treated all of my vehicles the same way and they all seem to do well.

StrizzyChris

Good to know about the filter, but have always ran Mobil-1 already. I agree, and also believe the sensor is BS! My Acura is like clockwork 7500.

Top Bottom