California or Bust : An Epic Trek Across the California Emigrant Trail

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
main.php

It's hard to imagine but, up until the 1830's, there were only a handful of people in America that had been able to successfully make their way to California across what was then only known as, the Great American Desert. Most of these people were trappers, traders and missionaries and it wouldn't be until the 1840's that a more defined route was established by early settlers and given the name, The California Trail. Thanks to the discovery of Gold in 1848, there would ultimately be tens of thousands of people who would make the arduous four month journey that started along the banks of the Missouri River and ended in the goldfields of California. Along the way, they would cover over 2,000 miles, crossing deep rivers, tall mountains and unforgiving deserts and all at a time when there were no roads, no stores, no hospitals, no laws and no second chances.

For a long time now, Cindy and I have been wanting to see if we could retrace the California Trail from beginning to end, as closely as possible to the original route, and as much as possible, all on dirt. Along the way, we would make stops at historical sites, see deep ruts carved into the hillsides from the thousands of wagons that passed through before us and view geological wonders such Chimney Rock, an iconic spire that acted as beacon for travelers making their way across the Platte River Road. And, after two years of research, careful planning and plotting a viable route, I think we're finally ready to give it a go. On June 2, 2014, we will meet up with our friends Carl, Et, Tony, Stephanie, Don, Lori, Ray, Tom and Susan, Ken and Doug in Independence, Missouri and then will spend the next 10 days pushing our way west in our modern prairie schooners and on what we will be calling, The California or Bust WAYALIFE Adventure!

Members of the WAYALIFE Party
Cindy & Eddie (CarsonCindy & wayoflife)
Carl (Moochie)
Et (RanchoRubi)
Tony & Stephanie (JeepFan & GemHunter)
Don & Lori (mcpuck & RascalRubi)
Ray (ramin)
Tom (Strainger) & Susan (Strainger's Heart)
Doug (Trail Bud)
Ken (KenB1010)

For those of you who are interested, I have included a list of all the cities we will be stopping at along the way and when. If you live in the area and have the time, we'd love to meet up with you and if at all possible, share a cold one with you.

Monday, June 2 - Independence, Mo
Tuesday, June 3 - Marysville, KS
Wednesday, June 4 - North Platte, NE
Thursday, June 5 - Scotts Bluff, NE
Friday, June 6 - Casper, WY
Saturday, June 7 - Kemmerer, WY
Sunday, June 8 - Camping, ID
Monday, June 9 - Elko, NV
Tuesday, June 10 - Camping, NV
Wednesday, June 11 - Carson City, NV
Thursday, June 12 - Placerville, CA

We will be sure to post up photos throughout the trip, on this thread and hope that you will follow us along as we make our way west. :cool:

main.php

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
WOW! this is going to be one hell of a write up, a hell of a lot of pics, some amazing video footage, and very educational! i am looking forward to this already!

Can't wait to see this! Isn't this the same trail the Donner party took?( make sure to pack a lunch for that part, Eddie:D )

Sent from my DROID4 using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Can't wait to see this! Isn't this the same trail the Donner party took?( make sure to pack a lunch for that part, Eddie:D )

Sent from my DROID4 using WAYALIFE mobile app

LOL!! Most of it is but, where the trail splits off in Nevada, we will be taking the Carson Trail and not the Truckee.

Bullwinckle

Hooked
This is gonna be one awesome trip!! Can't wait to follow you guys a long on the trail report. Hope y'all drive safely and have a good time!! 👍👍🍻

Ray ⛺

Awesome! Looking forward to following the journey. We reside on the other side of the state from your starting point, but I went to school out that way and have friends and family there. Wish we could make it out. I'll certainly post up if we'll be in the area. Would be really cool to meet you guys. If not, good luck with the trip!

Hack12

Nearly every time a new "Upcoming Trips and Events" thread arises, especially the ones started by Eddie and Cindy, I'm reminded of the stark realization that I was born on the wrong side of this great country.

This looks like it'll be quite an amazing experience! :yup:

Best of luck guys, we'll be following along! :drinks:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Nearly every time a new "Upcoming Trips and Events" thread arises, especially the ones started by Eddie and Cindy, I'm reminded of the stark realization that I was born on the wrong side of this great country.

This looks like it'll be quite an amazing experience! :yup:

Best of luck guys, we'll be following along! :drinks:

You can't use that as an excuse. I was born in NY and am now in SoCal.

IBeHeWhoIsJoshua

main.php

It's hard to imagine but, up until the 1830's, there were only a handful of people in America that had been able to successfully make their way to California across what was then only known as, the Great American Desert. Most of these people were trappers, traders and missionaries and it wouldn't be until the 1840's that a more defined route was established by early settlers and given the name, The California Trail. Thanks to the discovery of Gold in 1848, there would ultimately be tens of thousands of people who would make the arduous four month journey that started along the banks of the Missouri River and ended in the goldfields of California. Along the way, they would cover over 2,000 miles, crossing deep rivers, tall mountains and unforgiving deserts and all at a time when there were no roads, no stores, no hospitals, no laws and no second chances.

For a long time now, Cindy and I have been wanting to see if we could retrace the California Trail from beginning to end, as closely as possible to the original route, and as much as possible, all on dirt. Along the way, we would make stops at historical sites, see deep ruts carved into the hillsides from the thousands of wagons that passed through before us and view geological wonders such Chimney Rock, an iconic spire that acted as beacon for travelers making their way across the Platte River Road. And, after two years of research, careful planning and plotting a viable route, I think we're finally ready to give it a go. On June 2, 2014, we will meet up with our friends Carl, Tony, Stephanie, Don, Lori and Ray in Independence, Missouri and then will spend the next 10 days pushing our way west in our modern prairie schooners and on what we will be calling, The California or Bust WAYALIFE Adventure!

For those of you who are interested, I have included a list of all the cities we will be stopping at along the way and when. If you live in the area and have the time, we'd love to meet up with you and if at all possible, share a cold one with you.

Monday, June 2 - Independence, Mo
Tuesday, June 3 - Marysville, KS
Wednesday, June 4 - North Platte, NE
Thursday, June 5 - Scotts Bluff, NE
Friday, June 6 - Casper, WY
Saturday, June 7 - Casper, WY
Sunday, June 8 - Camping, ID
Monday, June 9 - Elko, NV
Tuesday, June 10 - Camping, NV
Wednesday, June 11 - Carson City, NV
Thursday, June 12 - Placerville, CA

We will be sure to post up photos throughout the trip, on this thread and hope that you will follow us along as we make our way west. :cool:

main.php

I wish I could afford to invite myself haha. We talked about this journey one of the times I got to hang out with you. The true essence of wheeling, to me. This is going to be a great journey and I can't wait to follow along! If it works out maybe I can meet you in Placerville. I love that little town.

Top Bottom