Jeep Grand Wagoneer - Would You Get One?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
jeep-wagoneer.jpg

The above image is just a concept rendering but, when Jeep CEO Mike Manley was recently asked about new models we can expect to see, he answered specifically by saying that they were working on something “above the Grand Cherokee” of which he indicated would be the long-rumored "Jeep Grand Wagoneer". As you can see in this AllPar article, we've clearly moved beyond the "IF" it'll be made, to the new rumors of "where" will it be made.

Will Wagoneer Hail from Detroit?
Speculation. With production at Chrysler’s Jefferson Avenue plant maxing out and still not quite being enough to satisfy demand, some are wondering what Chrysler will do when the Jeep Wagoneer shows up around calendar-year 2015. This extended-wheelbase luxo-Jeep is expected to keep Grand Cherokee’s suspension architecture, but be slotted in above Durango in price.

grand-cherokee-on-carrier.jpg

Originally, many thought that the company would simply drop the Durango, but with demand rising for the seven-passenger SUV, that might not be as attractive as it was last year. Wagoneer would likely generate more profits, but the rear-drive, (optionally) Hemi-powered Durango fits in nicely with the “Dodge equals muscle” equation, in a way that a front-wheel-drive minivan-based crossover might not.

That said, there are some indications that Dodge may retain Durango until model-year 2017, replacing it then with a crossover on the new minivan/crossover platform. This would simplify production by having both Jefferson Avenue vehicles using the same off-road-biased suspension architecture; then Chrysler would just decide on whether to use the Durango or Voyager name on the new full-sized crossover.

Chrysler does have options. The Toluca plant is expected to give up Journey/Freemont and Fiat 500 production next year; the Fiat will move to Europe, as the next generation car incorporates American changes, and the Journey/Freemont will end up either at Sterling Heights (if it remains based on 200) or at Windsor (if it moves to a shortened minivan platform/architecture). Toluca could be used to build a variety of Fiat cars and trucks, such as the new Strada, for Latin America and limited export to the United States and Canada; or it could be converted (at great expense) into an overflow plant for popular vehicles, such as Ram or Wagoneer.

Sterling Heights’ new body shop is very large, and perhaps one reason for that is to allow it to be a much more versatile plant that most. Just as Toluca can make tiny 500s and large Journeys, perhaps Sterling Heights can make Durangos, freeing Jefferson Avenue to be a Jeep-only plant.

Sterling Heights building Durangos seems unlikely, but one thing the plant could almost certainly do is build Jeep Cherokees if international demand strains Toledo’s resources. Most likely, Sterling Heights would build only international-specification models (e.g diesels and manual-transmission versions), so that Americans would get Toledo Jeeps while Australian buyers would still get American-made Jeeps.

What we do know for sure is that Chrysler already knows what it is going to do, has designed flexibility into its recent assembly plants, and is keeping its secrets well.

http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php/2014/03/will-wagoneer-hail-from-detroit

With the new Cherokee and now even the smaller Renegade having just been released, would a Grand Wagoneer be something you would consider getting?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
if they keep the front end looking like that no. it looks like a scrunched up pigs face. if they are going to have a bigger model than the grand cherokee they shouldnt base it off of the GC body and frame. they should go off of the commander (which they are ditching) and change the body style a little

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yes. We'll eventually need a new kid/boat hauler.

Definitely would be nice for a boat hauler. :cool:

I do like the looks of the grill bringing back some of the old.

Well, in all fairness, the image you are looking at is just a concept rendering and who knows what it will really look like but, like you, I would totally be all over it IF it looked like that when all was said and done.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The front looks something like a mixture between a Rolls Royce and a Bentley

Actually, it's a modernized version of the original "rhino grille" which is what the original Wagoneer and Gladiators came with back in the day.

if they keep the front end looking like that no. it looks like a scrunched up pigs face. if they are going to have a bigger model than the grand cherokee they shouldnt base it off of the GC body and frame. they should go off of the commander (which they are ditching) and change the body style a little

LOL!! There was a period of time back in the late 70's where the Wagoneers did come with what is still known as a "pig noze" grill. While the boxy Commander did have a nice XJ look to it, the rendering you see above is a more classic interpretation of what Jeeps used to look like with a modern touch.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Im glad car manufactures are starting to go back to their roots and not making everything look like what every other manufacutrer is producing. Well jeeps always look different, but this could deffinitly be a game changer in style once its a little better.

I would buy one however.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
LOL!! There was a period of time back in the late 70's where the Wagoneers did come with what is still known as a "pig noze" grill. While the boxy Commander did have a nice XJ look to it, the rendering you see above is a more classic interpretation of what Jeeps used to look like with a modern touch.

i was just about to go back and edit my post to clarify what i ment lol i do like the grill. it looks good on a truck style like the pic below. just not so sure about it paired with the rest of the body lines.

1-Jeep-Nukizer-715.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well, if you've never seen one before, here's what a 1963 Wagoneer looked like....

1963-red-wagoneer.jpg

For me, I love it :yup:

Graywolf

Oh hell yes I would buy it. Our 04 Grand Cherokee is getting a few miles on it, 2015 might be the time to trade it in on one of these. Wonder if they are going to make a 3/4 ton truck model with the same lines. :cool:

rodgerdathug

Well, if you've never seen one before, here's what a 1963 Wagoneer looked like....

View attachment 73645

For me, I love it :yup:

I like the 63 version better. Like someone else stated it looking like a Durango. I understand the concept idea. Hmm would I get it if it had a cummins in it or a great diesel motor in it my idea and two cents lol

Living it one day at a time
FTA
WAYALIFE mobile app

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
Wife and I are actually waiting to see what comes of this. We were going to trade her Commander in on a Durango and decided to wait and see what Jeep does with this. If it looks good to go to us we will definitely purchase one. We both love the Commander but it is getting a little 'long in the tooth'.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I can't help but think of wood paneling.:cheesy: Wood paneled Grands used to be all the rage in northern Nevada.

What worries me is that with Chrysler's pricing scheme it is likely to cost $70+ k.

DKronk42

As optimistic as i want to be about it, i feel like there is a 0% chance they would go with a grill like that i personally love the look of the old wagoneers they looked bullet proof and that grill would go a long way. Also... As a man with a pig tattooed on his body, bring on the battle hog haha

Top Bottom