Electrical noob need some help.

Tranquillity

Hey guys, I'm looking to do the wiring for the 3w leds I bought on amazon. I'm not a pro with electrical stuff but did some google homework and would like to validate before I start.

3 watts led on a 12v battery should be .25 amp per led? Looking to put 3 leds per front side. So I guess I could use a 18 awg right?

Is there any special type of wire I should look for?

What fuse should I use on this setup?

Am I completely off the track :cheesy:?

Any input will be appreciated. :beer::beer:

You can wire them directly to your battery however having a relay panel like Pvan's or Swank POD design would be best.

Did your lights come with a comple wiring harness or do you have to build one?

18ga wire is pretty available at Home Depot, Lowe's or car stereo shop. As for putting in a fuse you can find an inline fuse holder that will go on the power wire from the battery. These can be purchased at any auto parts store and if you have a Pep Boys they seem to have a little bigger selection. As for the size I would recommend a minimum of 5 amp. If that does not work then step up.

I used Pvan's write up and was really easy to do even for a ham handed knuckle dragging mech like myself.
:yup:
R/
Will

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?13119-DIY-Spod-Waytekwire

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?...te-up-(My-last-name-is-Swank)&highlight=swank

Tranquillity

Thanks, I knew I've seen that SwankPod somewhere.

Yes I have to build my own harness, I thought about a 10 amps fuse but not sure if it's not too high and should use a 5 amps instead.

I was wondering if the wire had to have special insulation or "plating" properties.

Thanks, I knew I've seen that SwankPod somewhere.

Yes I have to build my own harness, I thought about a 10 amps fuse but not sure if it's not too high and should use a 5 amps instead.

I was wondering if the wire had to have special insulation or "plating" properties.

as for the wire you want to make sure you get stranded and not solid. The stranded wire is a lot more flexible. Look at Radio Shack for the wire as well. Also use environment splices or heat shrink and regular spilces. You can get the heat shrink and splices at Harbor Frieght or auto parts store.

R/
Will

Top Bottom