2017 Jeep JL Wrangler : What You Can Expect to See Besides IFS

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As we get closer and closer to the end of the JK, more and more rumors are starting to find some teeth. Here's an article that was just published in AllPar and a lot of it already confirms what we've been seeing for a while now - there's a very real possibility that we will be seeing a new Wrangler with IFS and more likely than not, IRS too and an optional non-removable steel top with a windshield that does not fold down. Check it out...

Wrangler 2017: What's New?
The next-generation Jeep Wrangler appears to be scheduled to debut in 2016, as a 2017 model. Several sources have now claimed that it will have an independent suspension, which is anathema to many hard-core Jeepers but hardly unique among 4x4s: the 1963 Jeep Wagoneer boasted an optional independent front suspension, and the military’s “Humvee” is outfitted that way. Reportedly, Wrangler’s setup will be a long-travel design with the maximum possible ground clearance. This remains officially unconfirmed and unacknowledged, though Jeep officials have said that a Wrangler redesign is in the works. Many expect a pickup to be part of the next generation as well, though this, too, is unconfirmed.

2017 Jeep Wrangler: The most changes since 1997
The next-generation Jeep Wrangler is currently scheduled to debut in 2016, as a 2017 model, according to Allpar’s research and speculation. Sources within the company have told several outlets that Jeep is hard at work on a long-travel independent suspension for Wrangler, based loosely on a design first launched on the 1963 Jeep Wagoneer. This vehicle used variable-rate leaf springs in back, but were the first off-road vehicles to have independent front suspensions.

2017-jeep-wrangler.jpg

Many may ask why Jeep would even want to use an independent suspension. The current design has several advantages:

•It is proven to work well off-road
•It can be modified by owners for higher off-road performance
•Wranglers are out-selling plant capacity already
•The setup costs less than an independent suspension

2017.jpg

The arguments for the new design include:
•It would end the so-called “death wobble,” a public relations and lawsuit problem
•Even the Jeep-ready suspension described below would cut unsprung weight by a third, greatly improving on-road ride and handling
•On-road behavior would be much improved
•The factory could increase capacity by having suspensions assembled elsewhere as an assembly
•The change would increase stability and may increase off-road capability for stock vehicles

bouncing-differential.gif

In the mid-1990s, Chrysler engineers including Evan Boberg, Gerry Hentschel, and Bob Sheaves developed a new independent suspension for the 1997 Jeep Wrangler. Unlike conventional independent designs, it would not lose ground clearance during rebounds; this was a major plus for off-road use. It was based on a deDion design, but connected the differential to the suspension so that it travelled with the wheel. If one side of the vehicle was going over a rock or into a ditch, the differential would be pulled up by that wheel, providing better overall ground clearance. Wheel travel had to be increased to about 12 inches. (Evan Boberg described the project in his book Common Sense Not Required, Bob Sheaves in this article on Li’l Blue.)

IRS.jpg

The strategy carries obvious risks; the people who designed the long-travel independent suspension are no longer working at Chrysler, not to mention those who worked on the 1963 Jeep Wagoneer (for Kaiser). The Wrangler’s off-road credentials will have to be superior to current models to win the hearts of the brand’s core enthusiasts, who, along with magazine critics, will almost certainly be ready to call it “just another rebadged Fiat,” “fake Jeep,” and “mall runner” — regardless of what it can do on the trail. The system will need to be well tested on all types of terrain, at least as durable as the current setup, and capable regardless of model. Some have talked about the possibility of making two versions of the Wrangler — traditional and independent — which is feasible from an engineering standpoint, but probably not with regard to production in a space-limited factory. One suspects that there is a backup plan in place, but given that such a backup plan would also require two factory redesign plans, the “backup” may simply be spending more time to get it right.

The Jeep Wrangler is a key vehicle for Chrysler, often its second best seller after the Ram series, and Sergio Marchionne has said many times they cannot reduce its off-road capability.

See the whole article here:
http://www.allpar.com/SUVs/jeep/wrangler/2017.html

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Of course, here are a few more details of other changes we can hope to see as well...

Diesel engines, pickup trucks, and other changes
Many expect Jeep to finally issue a U.S. diesel version of the Wrangler, possibly as late-availability, along with a limited production Comanche pickup version. The engine would likely be the same VM 3.0 liter V6 used in the Ram 1500 and Jeep Grand Cherokee, though it could be a next-generation four-cylinder VM, which could be easier to package and has been used in European Wranglers for years.

Most observers expect Jeep to try to make the Wrangler more aerodynamic, with a greater slant to the windshield and a greater curve; many have speculated that the fold-down windshield function will finally be dropped, despite being a unique feature for Jeep (in North America, at least). Removable doors are likely to remain, along with the various tops, and Chrysler is likely to brag about making the roof removal easier and the fabric roof tougher (as they do with every revision). Round (or nearly round) headlights are almost a dead certainty, given their “iconic” status. (“Iconic” is a word Chrysler does not use lightly; indeed, they sprinkle it into nearly every press release.)

Original is at 2017 Jeep Wranger: an off-road worthy independent suspension? http://www.allpar.com/SUVs/jeep/wrangler/2017.html#ixzz2wEIaymZY
Follow us: @allparcom on Twitter | allparcom on Facebook

jhires

There are a lot of Toyota pickups running around with independent front suspension that work just fine, but once they get modified into the "hard core" arena, they often get a solid front axle.

The older Ford Rangers and a very long line of Ford pickups used a front suspension based on the twin I-Beam which provide for a lot of travel and used to be preferred in desert racing because of the amount of droop they allowed. But it was/is heavy.

ttb.JPG

I will remain skeptical until I see it in action as well as find out how easy and expensive it is to modify.

I'm sure when Wranglers come out with the new suspension we will see a lot of different kits to swap to a solid axle as well as lots of different modifications to the new suspension. Everyone has to provide something in order to stay competitive so we wont see a lack of support. Even Dynatrac has already said in a Facebook post that they would be ready for it.

But the questions remains, will I be able to afford to change the new suspension? When I decided to do it, will I still be able to do the work in my garage with basic hand and air tools?

stweasel

It will be interesting to see what they come up with. I'm hoping they really mean it when they say they want to keep the Jeep capable.

Angry Aussie

It's gonna be weird seeing a jeep coming down the road with no front diff! I'm curious see how they do off road and what it will take to fit 37s or 40s under it.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
But the questions remains, will I be able to afford to change the new suspension? When I decided to do it, will I still be able to do the work in my garage with basic hand and air tools?

I have little doubt that you'd still be able to work on it in your garage with basic tools but, it'd most likely cost more and be more work.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It will be interesting to see what they come up with. I'm hoping they really mean it when they say they want to keep the Jeep capable.

All the Ultra4 rigs that take the podium at King of the Hammers are running IFS/IRS. Needless to say, I actually have little doubt that they'll still be plenty capable if not more so when doing an apples to apples comparison.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It's gonna be weird seeing a jeep coming down the road with no front diff! I'm curious see how they do off road and what it will take to fit 37s or 40s under it.

Nah, not too weird...

main.php

:D

HDGasser

I have little doubt that you'd still be able to work on it in your garage with basic tools but, it'd most likely cost more and be more work.

Exactly... To make independent suspension as trail worthy as a solid axle setup won't be cheap.

Like Eddie said if you compare apples to apples stock solid axles to stock ifs rubicons my guess is that the ifs will be just as capable off road and will probably have better road manners.

Now if your wanna throw Moby in the mix then hell... There's no comparison!

The cost to make an independent suspended vehicle as "built" as Moby will be a lil more costly.

Last edited:

Kilroy

Have anyone gone off roading in a lr3 if so you would know independent works great off road. Not the road queens in ca. But to mod with large tires is a expensive thing to do i know i have one. But if i had the jeep body it would be less.

dglangan

I think it would be cool if they made two versions of the wrangler. Although not cost/space efficient it will make everyone happy. Keep the sport and rubicon models with solid axels and sahara models can have the new independent suspension.

noroad

I think it would be cool if they made two versions of the wrangler. Although not cost/space efficient it will make everyone happy. Keep the sport and rubicon models with solid axels and sahara models can have the new independent suspension.

Kinda had a similer idea i wouldnt mind if you had to pre-order you jeep to get solid, which would save on cost and would still keep selective customers like my self happy!

Devallee

IMO I'm kinda excited about it. Maybe I'll have a little better foundation to finally build a Jeep prerunner like I've always wanted to. Although I think IRS is going a little too far, I don't mind so much having IFS. I've always been more of a speed guy vs. the crazy crawling a lot of you guys do but LOVE jeeps so this is a perfect mix for me. If suspension and drive train companies can keep up with the change, I'd be more than happy with a new Jeep prerunner build in the near future

Sent from my SGH-M919 using WAYALIFE mobile app

JKDriver

Looks like a jk with a different grill

Once the new model is out, I will probably pick up a second current generation to play with. I don't see a JK IFS replacement as necessarily a bad thing. I do think modifying it will cost significantly more, especially if the factory suspension makes use of a lot of aluminum.
I remember in 06 all my Jeep friends saying that the JK was a pig, the JKU was for nothing but soccer moms, and that this was going to be the end of Jeep as an off road vehicle.......;)

Top Bottom