Smittybilt XRC Flat Fenders? - Choosing Flat Fenders

tonytony9

Does anyone have any sort of experience with the Smittybilt XRC Flat Fenders? I am trying to give my wrangler a little appearance upgrade and love this style. If you have owned or known anything about them please give me some advice! It seems like an amazing deal because many other fenders of this style are almost double the cost of these. Or if anyone wanted to suggest another fender.

$_3.JPG

Does anyone know if you can keep the factory blinker as well?

Thank you,
Tonytony9

noroad

I have never seen them in person but they look pretty close to cut stock fenders just really skinny! I would say if you are really interested in new fenders go out and cut your stock ones first and see if you like it you might be saving your self a couple bills that can go other places! i just did mine and i was up in the air just like you and i am pretty happy I cut mine instead of buying new ones first!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1394967221.630020.jpg
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1394967221.630020.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 252
  • ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1394936183.954444.jpg
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1394936183.954444.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 249
  • ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1394967331.906768.jpg
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1394967331.906768.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 257

tonytony9

I have never seen them in person but they look pretty close to cut stock fenders just really skinny! I would say if you are really interested in new fenders go out and cut your stock ones first and see if you like it you might be saving your self a couple bills that can go other places! i just did mine and i was up in the air just like you and i am pretty happy I cut mine instead of buying new ones first!

How did you go about cutting your fenders? I don't 100% mind spending a little on the fenders. I know BW makes the flat style fenders but they are upwards of $600 for a set of four. I don't see the big difference in those and these too.

noroad

well what i did was read a couple peoples write ups and watch every youtube jk fender cut clip i caould find! Then i tapped up and cut up! I wanted the BW ones to but man i couldnt do it not trying to cut my own as they are FREE and if they looked bad to me then i had reason to get new ones. but i like them and i just saved up more money for new gears!

tonytony9

well what i did was read a couple peoples write ups and watch every youtube jk fender cut clip i caould find! Then i tapped up and cut up! I wanted the BW ones to but man i couldnt do it not trying to cut my own as they are FREE and if they looked bad to me then i had reason to get new ones. but i like them and i just saved up more money for new gears!

That's true. Did you remount your front blinkers or can you just cut the bumper and leave them in the exact same spot? They look like they are set back a little bit.

noroad

That's true. Did you remount your front blinkers or can you just cut the bumper and leave them in the exact same spot? They look like they are set back a little bit.

When i cut the fender and trimmed the liner there was a small spot u could push it into and tie it up in my second pic you can see the side marker there.

NV375

How did you go about cutting your fenders? I don't 100% mind spending a little on the fenders. I know BW makes the flat style fenders but they are upwards of $600 for a set of four. I don't see the big difference in those and these too.

I have cut fenders on two JKs so far. The second one I used an oscillating tool. I think it was smoother than the jigsaw I used. Just about anything that cuts plastic will work. I have seen sawzall, grinder with thin wheel, jigsaw and the oscillating tool.

Attachments

• 1395075639126.jpg
    1395075639126.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:

NV375

I plan to add an LED in the side of the grill for mine.

jjsmail

I agree with the other guys. Just cut them it will be a very similar look as the aftermarket ones. And it is free to cut and you can then use the money on a better part. Then if u don't like the cut fenders you can always buy the aftermarket ones later. And it is very easy to do just did mine last week.

Spartan

The BW flats are a little spendy, but I like they way they look. They are much thicker and stiffer then other flat fenders. Have nice built in mark lights, and over give a very clean look to your Jeep.

Nothing wrong with cutting your fenders if you don't have the money for the BW flats, but I think they look better then the cut ones.

pedroj14

Excellente fenders so far but will not protect you if you lean your jeep on them. Other than that, they allow for good clearance of the tires and they look nice.

ujunemuv.jpg

syqurasu.jpg

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

tonytony9

Excellente fenders so far but will not protect you if you lean your jeep on them. Other than that, they allow for good clearance of the tires and they look nice.

ujunemuv.jpg

syqurasu.jpg

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Really like the look of them! What size tire/spacers do you have?

tonytony9

I agree with the other guys. Just cut them it will be a very similar look as the aftermarket ones. And it is free to cut and you can then use the money on a better part. Then if u don't like the cut fenders you can always buy the aftermarket ones later. And it is very easy to do just did mine last week.

I mean the economic way is obviously cutting the fenders. I don't know if I like the cut look 100% though

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I mean the economic way is obviously cutting the fenders. I don't know if I like the cut look 100% though

Really? Depending on how you choose to cut yours, they practically look like the Smittybilt ones you posted up at the beginning of the thread :idontknow:

tonytony9

tonytony9

Really? Depending on how you choose to cut yours, they practically look like the Smittybilt ones you posted up at the beginning of the thread :idontknow:

Well, I have not looked into it too much. However, from what I have seen it kinda looks like it is a little ruff, not very smooth. Do you have any good examples? Or at least additional from what has been posted.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I have not looked into it too much. However, from what I have seen it kinda looks like it is a little ruff, not very smooth. Do you have any good examples? Or at least additional from what has been posted.

The quality of finish depends on you. Here are a few close up shots of mine...

main.php

main.php

main.php

I know plenty of guys who have sanded theirs and they look outstanding even without the edge molding.

But hey, it's your Jeep, do what you want with it :)

jesse3638

Hooked

To me those thin Smittybilt fenders look almost identical to cut stockers. You can cut them how ever you'd like for the added personal touch. Recently I was on an outing and was glad I was running my cut stocks. I bumped a rock wall hard enough where it folded the corner of my front passenger side fender down into the hard "ribs" underneath. The sharp corner actually put a hole in the fender and the rock left some good scratches in it. I just bent it back up and went on about my business. I have a feeling had I gone with the BW flatties (plastic) I was looking at it prob would have broken.

Edit: I was typing this when Eddie posted his...haha.

Top Bottom