Alloy USA Rear Axle Shaft Install

BONDSY

A big part of being a Jeeper and one that will pay-off big, is learning to do installs yourself. Over the past couple years soon after the initial lift I paid to have installed, I've done my part to research, ask questions, and learn. I often agree with my friend on how we love laying under the Jeep getting familiar with every part, weld, and bolt. I would not have been able to mod my Jeep as much as I have paying someone else to get everything installed.
I love the Do-It-Yourself theme, so I'll be happy to add to it as often as I'm able.
Today I installed rear Alloy USA Chromoly Axle Shafts. I guess this write-up could be more detailed, but it will give you an idea just how easy this
DIY project is. Good luck with you installs.

Here's what I'm installing, note the bearings have been pressed on by a shop and cost me $41.00 labor. There are some things I can't do.:blush:
Also if you order an Axle Kit, you may need also to order the axle seal retainer plates as well, as the kit I ordered did not include them.
Part # for the retainer plates is: 68008523AA for the left and right side.
My new shafts:
7131f4d7.jpg

The piece with the bolts facing up is the retainer plate:
53e7c8ad.jpg

I jacked up the driver side to drain the gear oil from the axle tube and then I removed the tire using a
19mm socket and ratchet was used to remove the lugnuts.
1955e5c3.jpg

I decided to remove the swaybar link for easier access.
22cf8467.jpg

44160d55.jpg

Next step I remove the two brake caliper bolts using a 18mm socket and ratchet. These bolts are the ones nearest in the pic.
4cb155cc.jpg

Having removed the caliper bolts I then removed the brake caliper for the rotor and used some zipties to hang it out of the way.
8de4b5e4.jpg

I removed the rotor being careful to not touch the surface where the pads meet the rotor.
da4a0f1c.jpg

Using some needle nose pliers I then unplugged the ABS wheel speed sensor, it's the red plug.
c838dc24.jpg

Next with the ABS wire out of the way, using the 18mm socket and ratchet I removed the four retainer plate nuts. Two located in front of the axle, two in the rear.
68555c7a.jpg

This pic is of the rear two nuts.
0a3ddecd.jpg

Using a 8mm socket and ratchet I removed the bolt holding the ABS sensor in place, thus loosening the sensor.
32bc6117.jpg

The sensor on the other side. It needs to be loose for the axle to slide out.
4a218ac3.jpg

I used a small pry bar to nudge the axle shaft loose and is slides right out. Here's what it looks like with the axle shavt removed. Also I needed to remove the bearing race from the factory shaft to make way for the new one.
3b4f20ee.jpg

I cleaned the bearing seat and wiped the general area of the dirt and excess oil.
I then applied a thin layer of grease where the new bearing would sit and to assist the slide in of the new shafts.
Sliding in the new shaft making sure the splines mate up I placed the retainer plate bolts through the holes from which they came and using loctite I tightened the nuts to 45lbs of torque. I also tightened the nuts with (a dab of loctite) as evenly as I could, rotating in a pattern till tight.
b2d8049d.jpg

I then put the sensor back in it's place and tightened the little bolt.
Placing the rotor back in it's place, sliding the brake caliper back into place I then (with a dab of loctite) tightened the Caliper bolts to 75lbs torque.
296ccdfc.jpg

I then plugged the ABS wire back in, reinstalled the swaybar link, set the wheel in place and tightened the lug nuts to 110lbs of torque.

That's it!!!!!!!!!!:clap2::clap2::clap2:
Repeat the steps for the other side, and relish in the cost savings of Doing-It-Yourself.:D

Last edited:

Robar

The Enforcer
Great writ up Tom. Did you hit your ebrake with some brake cleaner before buttoning it back up?

pastorwug

I appreciate good write-ups like this.
Gives me the guts to do it as well.
Total cost?

Attachments

• Jeep.jpg
    Jeep.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 20130429_180658.jpg
    20130429_180658.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 20130429_180708.jpg
    20130429_180708.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 20130429_180748.jpg
    20130429_180748.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 24
  • CYMERA_20130831_203859.jpg
    CYMERA_20130831_203859.jpg
    380.2 KB · Views: 14
  • CYMERA_20130831_204010.jpg
    CYMERA_20130831_204010.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 13

highoctane

Caught the Bug
Good write-up. I'll be installing RCV front shafts and Superior Evo rear shafts next month. 3 leaking axle seals since my JK was regeared has put it on the front burner.

Attachments

• Rubi 2013 - 1.jpg
    Rubi 2013 - 1.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 4

BONDSY

do you need to buy new retainer plates or can you reuse the old ones?

I think you can re-use the old ones. But I think you have just about destroy the factory axle bearings to get those retainer plates off. They are pretty cheap, 35 bucks for both sides. I can use my OEM shafts for spares having bought the new plates.

rizzicon

I think you can re-use the old ones. But I think you have just about destroy the factory axle bearings to get those retainer plates off. They are pretty cheap, 35 bucks for both sides. I can use my OEM shafts for spares having bought the new plates.

I ended up buying new retainer plates and tone rings.

Top Bottom