What brand tires are you running?

Beau beau

I have a set of Toyo open country m/t's that I have been running with about 10,000 miles on them. I have recently noticed between the treads on the outside edges they are cracking like dry rot almost. I love the way they ride on the hwy but I was just looking at my options. What do you guys like and run and how is the tread life. I take a couple of high mileage road trips a year and looking for something that will last. Jeep beach Daytona Beach Florida this April about 1400 miles round trip. Who's going. Thanks

sean.m.adams33

I have open country m/t's as well and have no issues with dry rot. They are going strong and I love them. I'm thinking it's where you live possibly? Or how often you drive it? If it is sitting outside all day in direct sun this could be an issue. But that's a real stretch.

Check out Nitto trail grappler also. They are an awesome tire. Most likely my next.

Leocon

I'm running BFG KM2's 35/12.50/17,
I ran them on my 08JKU Rubi for a little over 39,000
Been on my 2013 JKU Rubi almost 12,000
rotated and balaned every 5,000
Not really wore out but, too wore to really wheel, now loud and hard to balance
about to pull the triger on new ones...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well that's odd. I've run Toyo's for a long time and always found them to be one of the best all around tires you can get. Very round, requiring little to no effort to get them balanced, great on the trail and on pavement and with super tough sidewalls. I run Nittos (sister company of Toyo) now and like them just as much. I've run a ton of other brands as well including BFG, Goodyear, Cooper, ProComp, Micky Tompson, etc. and still prefer Nitto or Toyo.

Leocon

Well that's odd. I've run Toyo's for a long time and always found them to be one of the best all around tires you can get. Very round, requiring little to no effort to get them balanced, great on the trail and on pavement and with super tough sidewalls. I run Nittos (sister company of Toyo) now and like them just as much. I've run a ton of other brands as well including BFG, Goodyear, Cooper, ProComp, Micky Tompson, etc. and still prefer Nitto or Toyo.
The KM2's are easy to blow a sidewall, I myself have thought about the Toyo's
Can you notice the extra weight?

Fir-na-tine

Caught the Bug
I run Toyo Open Country M/T's (21,000+ miles) with no issues so far.......I agree with Wayalife on his assessment......I've run Nitto (Trail and Terra Grappler) tires on my other vehicles with no issues as well......I won't run anything else but Toyo or Nitto on my rigs....my 2 peanuts

~Woodrow~

Last edited:

Kilroy

I have open country m/t's as well and have no issues with dry rot. They are going strong and I love them. I'm thinking it's where you live possibly? Or how often you drive it? If it is sitting outside all day in direct sun this could be an issue. But that's a real stretch.

Check out Nitto trail grappler also. They are an awesome tire. Most likely my next.

Nitto trails are the best tire I've ran for road or off-road very quiet on road. Down side they don't last as long as some others bit that could be me.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The KM2's are easy to blow a sidewall, I myself have thought about the Toyo's
Can you notice the extra weight?

The weight difference really isn't that much. Depending on the tire size, it's only something like 8 lbs per tire. What you will notice is that you have to run your tires at a lower psi to get the same comfortable ride that BFG KM2's provide. And, if anything, un-sprung weight is a good thing on the trail.

BayouJeep

I run 325/65/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers and love them. They are decent in mud but have awesome road manners. In rain they WAY outperform my stock tires I had before on my jk. Probably going to get the Trail Grapplers soon though due to them having a meatier and more aggressive tread

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I run 325/65/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers and love them. They are decent in mud but have awesome road manners. In rain they WAY outperform my stock tires I had before on my jk. Probably going to get the Trail Grapplers soon though due to them having a meatier and more aggressive tread

You will love the Trail Grapplers as they really are one of the best MT's I have run. If there is a down side to them, it's that they wear out faster than a set of Toyo MT's. Of course, this is because they are made out of a softer rubber compound that dominates on the rocks and performs great on pavement.

Kromar

I just got Hankook Mts on my Rubicon. They handle great on the road and are not at all loud. They seem to handle better than my Bfg mt that I replaced. Haven't tried them off road but I've read lots of great reviews

RockyJk

Hankook Dynapro MT's and I hate em haha they wear bad and suck for balancing have took em to like 3 different tire shops and none of em have been able to balance em right don't recommend em...

Foxt

I ran bfg's long trails on stock wheels for a few months all the while with a wrong toe setting it was a trick to Drive.. now she's wearin a set of 265/70/16 Cooper discoverer sst they seem to be a decent tire . They growl alittle on the road to my liking ") the defroster is louder than the growl. Ps..Again Thanks for info guys .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

dglangan

Trail Grapplers all the way. I really haven't found a surface they don't preform well on. You can feel the aggressive lugs when you're going under less than 5mph, which took me a little while to get used to, but I'm sure the same could be true for an m/t tire. They're surprisingly quiet up until about 75-80mph, but by then the wind noise is loud too, so I really can't fault the tires. I have about 7k miles on them right now and I'm just starting to notice slight (but even) wear on them. Overall, no complaints!

tire.jpg

Kromar

My Hankooks balanced with no problems. One tire required NO weights. I'm running 255/75 17 . Might be harder with bigger sizes. Time will tell.

Indefatigable

I run Pitbull Rockers. Awesome in the deep snow. Not so much fun for driving down I5. They do not balance.

Previous set was Trxus. I liked them a lot. Awesome all round tire. Balancing was so so. Price has gone up stupid on them since 2010 though.

Thinking TG next set, have to change to a 17" wheel though.

Only negative I have found with the TG is that they do not come in a 35x12.5r15. A very popular size...

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
315/75r16 Nitto Mud Grapplers for about 10,000 miles now. i love them! great in all conditions.

Xarvet

Anyone have an opinion on GY Duratracs vs Terra Graps? Running Trail Grapplers now and like them, but may go with something a little less aggressive on the next set.

Top Bottom